Professional Development Statistics

Started by davedove, May 28, 2008, 06:09:36 PM

davedove

Does anyone know where I can find the statistics on what percentage of CAP members have completed each PD level?

I'm kind of interested in how my squadron stacks up to the average.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Well in a sense you could look at who has what grade.  I mean to get promoted we do need to compete the PD program's steps

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

mikeylikey

^ Unless your an "advanced appointment" for having flying skills, knowing the Wing Commander or the such. 
What's up monkeys?

this is true, that would skew the numbers.  but if you take that into account you can come up with a good idea as to where the stats end up.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

cnitas

Quote from: Orion Pax on May 28, 2008, 06:22:40 PM
Well in a sense you could look at who has what grade.  I mean to get promoted we do need to compete the PD program's steps

Do you have statistics on how many people have what grade?
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
MER-MD-003

It could be done by a random sampling.  Look at people through out your wing you see at events.  Also you could take a poll on here to see where we all stack up.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

davedove

Quote from: Orion Pax on May 28, 2008, 06:22:40 PM

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 28, 2008, 06:24:52 PM
^ Unless your an "advanced appointment" for having flying skills, knowing the Wing Commander or the such. 

It also wouldn't take into account those who have completed the PD (like myself) but are waiting for the TIG to promote.

It WOULD be interesting to know grade statistics as well though.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

dwb

As of April, NYWG had:

Level II: 318
Level III: 211
Level IV: 112
Level V: 44

That is out of 1153 Seniors, 87 Patrons, and 23 Fifty Year members.

So, in NYWG, about 3.5% of PD-eligible members have earned the Wilson award.  About 8.9% have earned the Garber award.

I imagine the overall numbers across the organization are within a couple percentage points of our representative population.

Trung Si Ma

OKWG as of yesterday.

435 Total Seniors

Level I   376   86%
Level II   109   40%
Level III   88   20%
Level IV   42   10%
Level V   18   4%

AEPSM   160   37%

SLS   216   50%
CLC   142   33%
RSC   60   14%
NSC   25   6%

TLC   26   6%
UCC   36   8%

ECI-13   120   28%
SOS   13   3%
ACSC   9   2%
AWC   4   1%
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

RiverAux

Anyone on wing staff can pull up wing-level data from the CAPWATCH system, including PD data.  Any squadron member can pull in data from their squadron. 

Fifinella

This is National data that was presented to us by my WG/CC in Mar 2007.  I don't know where he got it, or how to access current data, or how often it's updated.

Senior Milestone Completions:
Level 1: 87.7%
Level 2: 29%
Level 3: 21.5%
Level 4: 11.2%
Level 5: 4.6%

[OT, but in case you're interested...]

Cadet Milestone Completions:
Wright Bros: 26.9%
Mitchell: 13%
Earhart:4.7%
Eaker: 1.4%
Spaatz: 0.2%
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Turk

The 87.7% on Level I is interesting - from that, we can infer, 12.3% of SMs never even do Level I.  :o

The commander in my wing is really pushing Great Start in our units. Now I see why!

Granted, some new SMs are destined to go nowhere - they join, take a whiff, and decide it's not for them. But I'll wager that we lose a lot of other SMs and 2nd Lts because they're not being mentored at the unit level.  :-[

I'm sure that I'm covering ground that's been explored over a thousand times before I joined CAPTalk, so I'll end my speech here.  :-X

"To fly is everything."  Otto Lilienthal

SarDragon

Quote from: Turk on May 29, 2008, 05:51:30 AM
The 87.7% on Level I is interesting - from that, we can infer, 12.3% of SMs never even do Level I.  :o

The commander in my wing is really pushing Great Start in our units. Now I see why!

Granted, some new SMs are destined to go nowhere - they join, take a whiff, and decide it's not for them. But I'll wager that we lose a lot of other SMs and 2nd Lts because they're not being mentored at the unit level.  :-[

I'm sure that I'm covering ground that's been explored over a thousand times before I joined CAPTalk, so I'll end my speech here.  :-X

The numbers are skewed in another way, too. Many older, inactive, members may have had information lost during the various database transitions over the years (at least two that I know of), or during the initial transition from paper records to computer records. At least three of my members are that way.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davedove

Quote from: Turk on May 29, 2008, 05:51:30 AM

Don't forget that at any point in time, there will be a certain number of new members who have not yet taken Level I.  I doubt if that accounts for the entire 12.7%, but it would be a chunk of them.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

davedove

Quote from: Fifinella on May 29, 2008, 03:26:51 AM
This is National data that was presented to us by my WG/CC in Mar 2007.  I don't know where he got it, or how to access current data, or how often it's updated.

Senior Milestone Completions:
Level 1: 87.7%
Level 2: 29%
Level 3: 21.5%
Level 4: 11.2%
Level 5: 4.6%

[OT, but in case you're interested...]

Cadet Milestone Completions:
Wright Bros: 26.9%
Mitchell: 13%
Earhart:4.7%
Eaker: 1.4%
Spaatz: 0.2%

Thanks, that at least gives me an idea.

From this you can see that almost 3/4 of our members don't even complete Level II.  That puts my squadron just a hair over the average, since about 1/3 of our members have completed it. ;D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

RiverAux

Depending on how the query was run, it might have also included patron members who I don't believe have to go through Level 1. 

I expect that Level II percentage to rise quite a bit once they get the replacement online version of ECI-13 going.  There are plenty of folks out there who would otherwise have earned it except for that course.  That being said, it is still discouraging. 

davedove

Quote from: RiverAux on May 29, 2008, 12:42:54 PM
I expect that Level II percentage to rise quite a bit once they get the replacement online version of ECI-13 going.  There are plenty of folks out there who would otherwise have earned it except for that course.  That being said, it is still discouraging. 

Yeah, of the members of my squadron who have not yet completed Level II, every single one of them still needs to complete that course.  There are some members, who if they completed this course, would be immediately eligible for promotion to Captain.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

RiverAux

While I'm not really up on my cadet programs knowledge, isn't it somewhat worrying that less than a third of the cadets have gotten the Wright Brothers achievement?  Granted, that at any one time there are quite a few new cadets in the program who you wouldn't expect to have gotten it yet, but it still seems pretty low. 

mikeylikey

^ There are still Cadets in the Program that were around when No Wright Brothers Award was available. 

Numbers like these can be used to skew the point someone wants to make.  If I wanted to say, "look, our Senior Members don't stay long enough for level 2", I can use the figures to do that.  If I wanted to say "the proportion between Eaker Cadets and New Senior Member First Lt's is 0.43%, based on the number that we know who go on to be Flight Officers or are advanced appointed when they turn 21".  I can use mathematical data to back up most anything and any stance in business.  That is why Business Statisticians are usually contracted out by Larger Firms, because internal statistics have a tendency to lean toward what the business wants the shareholders to see (only positives=more stocks/ bonds being bought).

(Mikey is in no way a Math genius, but his TI-81, and HP Business Calculator circa 1985 in coordination with his slide rule and tabular stats tables can get you a Statistics answer in less than 5 minutes.)

They say numbers don't lie, but the way you use the numbers can be criminal!!! 
What's up monkeys?

dwb

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 29, 2008, 01:30:21 PM^ There are still Cadets in the Program that were around when No Wright Brothers Award was available.

The last I talked to Curt LaFond about this (June 2007), I believe he was looking at cadets that had joined since the Wright Bros. milestone was created.  He had a very similar statistic: just over 1/4 of cadets that joined since 2003 had earned the Wright Brothers Award.

Poor first-term retention is a big reason for that.  The reason that milestone number is so small is because a lot of cadets don't stick around long enough to earn the award.  The other group, cadets who are in for several years but still in Phase I, is a much smaller group.

DNall

Quote from: RiverAux on May 29, 2008, 12:42:54 PM
Depending on how the query was run, it might have also included patron members who I don't believe have to go through Level 1.

I was thinking AEMs as well.

QuoteI expect that Level II percentage to rise quite a bit once they get the replacement online version of ECI-13 going.  There are plenty of folks out there who would otherwise have earned it except for that course.  That being said, it is still discouraging. 
Concur

Quote from: RiverAux on May 29, 2008, 01:08:05 PM
While I'm not really up on my cadet programs knowledge, isn't it somewhat worrying that less than a third of the cadets have gotten the Wright Brothers achievement?  Granted, that at any one time there are quite a few new cadets in the program who you wouldn't expect to have gotten it yet, but it still seems pretty low. 

Just slightly more than a quarter actually. That caught my attention as well. This is where you need trend tracking. A spike downward on that number can means high recruiting. Consistent low number is more likely to indicate very poor initial entry training & retention.

ThorntonOL

My unit I think has only 1-3 seniors who have not completed level 1 and that's because they just filled out the paperwork within the past two to three weeks, every one else has completed level 1 at least. now level two is another story. ECI 13 is whats holding all of us up. A lot of us just don't have the time to do it, but thats changing as we are trying to do a group session for the seniors on our meeting nights.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

Cecil DP

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on May 28, 2008, 08:18:25 PM
OKWG as of yesterday.

435 Total Seniors

Level I   376   86%
Level II   109   40%
Level III   88   20%
Level IV   42   10%
Level V   18   4%