National Staff College 2008 Attendance

Started by James Shaw, May 25, 2008, 11:33:10 AM

SAR-EMT1

Lol, well said, all of you. I will probably be going to NSC sometime after 2012. ::)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

JohnKachenmeister

I just mailed my application for Group CC signature today.  After him, the Wing King, and then to Maxwell, and hope I'm not too late like last year.
Another former CAP officer

Chappie

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 27, 2008, 06:17:16 PM
<snip>  Don't abuse the privileges the AF is giving you, because it only will come back to HURT us all.  Also, five books is plenty when they are free.  If you can actually get five books a day, Don't!!!  And if they offer free shipping feel free to take it, but if not, don't hassle the clerks. 

I would strongly disagree with the admonition above about not taking the 5 books a day offer.  The AU Press is a resource center...for many students this may be their first and last visit to Maxwell.  This is not an abuse of the AF.  This has been a standard practice of AU Press going back to 2001 (to my first visit as a NSC student) .  And from what I heard from NSC Staff members that year, it went back to when they were students.  Not advocating a book grab just because the books are there...rather I am advocating being prepared for the time there.  Go to the AU Press site, see what is available.  Once at NSC, select books that will enrich you and your CAP career...or books that you can loan or give to your local squadron.  (Check out my posting about my selections under the thread "Professional Reading").

And I would strongly agree with not hassling the clerks.  AU Press has the nicest people there and want to be of service.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Chappie

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 27, 2008, 07:19:51 PM
I just mailed my application for Group CC signature today.  After him, the Wing King, and then to Maxwell, and hope I'm not too late like last year.

John,  be sure to look me up --- you can't miss me.....I will be wearing a USAF-style uniform  :D :D :D

JohnKachenmeister

I just got my e-mail accepting my sorry butt to NSC. 

Strange, though... I have to take a psychological test before I go  ???

I wonder if they take people with PTSD?
Another former CAP officer

capmaj

My guess is that  Lt Col ( Dr.) Johnie Cain will be instructing, utilizing the Myer/Briggs. That is why the pretest was sent to you.

Even though a lot of folks have taken the test previously (and attendees at PRSC most certainly have) most folks enjoy Johnies class. He's an entertaining instructor.

Enjoy the college!  ( And there's a GREAT O Club there!)

Tubacap

I don't know if it applies, but SOS resident course just discontinued their free book program.

CSAF Reading List

William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Chappie

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 24, 2008, 03:31:28 PM
I just got my e-mail accepting my sorry butt to NSC. 

Strange, though... I have to take a psychological test before I go  ???

I wonder if they take people with PTSD?

Welcome aboard, John.  If you have any further questions, pm me and I will be glad to be of assistance.

Chappie

Quote from: Tubacap on June 24, 2008, 05:29:47 PM
I don't know if it applies, but SOS resident course just discontinued their free book program.

CSAF Reading List

Did a brief comparison of the books listed in the CSAF Professional Reading and AU Press... not the same.  Two different programs.

flyguync

Im going back and forth on whether I want to go this year or next. Rough estimate how much does the rooms cost? 

Chappie

Quote from: flyguync on June 29, 2008, 05:57:45 PM
Im going back and forth on whether I want to go this year or next. Rough estimate how much does the rooms cost? 

From the NSC Information Brochure:

Arrival at Maxwell AFB, lodging, and meals

When you arrive at Maxwell AFB, report first to the Lodging Office (University Inn, Building 826) for room assignment.

Lodging

All rooms are pre-assigned.  Staff and students are required to stay on base.  Although we request that students can be housed in single rooms with refrigerator, microwave oven, television, phone, desk and chair, sometimes the Lodging Office is unable to accommodate all our preferences.  In some cases, students may have to share a bath with the occupants of the room next door.

The cost of on-base lodging is $25.00 - $35.00/day and is the responsibility of the student.  Off-base lodging cost is also the responsibility of the student.  The Lodging Office will require a credit card when you check in.  Payment is made directly to Maxwell AFB Lodging (not National Staff College).

Meals

You will be able to dine at the Maxwell AFB dining facility (River Front Inn).  River Front Inn offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner and has a wide variety of choices at a very reasonable cost ($10.00 - $15.00/day).  You may also have lunch at the Officer's Club located just down the street from the dorms.

You will be opportunities to travel off base for dinner with your seminar.  Your Seminar Advisor will have a list of restaurants in the area.

Additionally, NSC will host a barbeque on Wednesday, October 29, and the graduation banquet on Friday, October 31.  These two meals are included in your tuition fee.

Tim Medeiros

TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811