Out of Print CAP Publications

Started by Timothy, May 14, 2008, 08:34:47 PM

Timothy

Looking at the list of preferred reading on the NHQ Website, and especially my Historian CAPP 223 pamphlet, half the listed reading seems out of print.

How does one get hold of the 3 "Uniforms and Insignia" books by Col Morse, or "Flying Minutemen," etc? Am I just doomed to scour out of print sites, used bookstores, and the Market here? Or might there be some digital copies out there? Is CAP doing anything to see that these titles are at least available for purchase somewhere?

If they were reasonably priced I'd buy a copy of all the titles listed on CAPP 223.

Historians, please sound off!
Long Beach Squadron 150
PCR-CA-343

smitjud

I actually was able to check "Flying Minutemen" out of the university library when I was at Auburn.  Might be a good place to start.
JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

RiverAux

Those and a bunch of CAP Historical publications used to be sold by the old CAP Bookstore/CAPMart.  Not sure if Vanguard is selling them....

The CAP Historical Foundation is selling the From Maine to Mexico book, which is an oral history of the coastal patrol bases in WWII. 

SarDragon

Check eBay. I see stuff like that on there from time to time.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davidsinn

Flying Minutemen is on your great start cd that came with your membership packet.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

BillB

"Brave Coward Zack" which is on the Historian list is available from Zack Mosleys daughter at:

Jill Mosley
PO Box 140294
Gainesville, FL 32614

Telephone
352-374-9816

Good book on CAP during WW II and the Smniling Jack comic strips.

Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Timothy

Thanks guys. I'll use this info and get what I can. With all this, if I can just track down volume one of uniforms and insignia, I'd be looking good for the moment.
Long Beach Squadron 150
PCR-CA-343

SarDragon

There is also another insignia book(?) out there done by the someone from NHQ around 1985. I can't locate my copy right now, but it shows up from time to time on eBay.

AAMOF, there's one there right now. 2 d 23 h left.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NYWG Historian

I've found copies of most of the books in CAPP 223 from ebay (search "civil air patrol") or from used book stores (online and physical) or tag sales (my kid brother found a publishers proof copy of From Maine To Mexico at a tag sale for $0.10--has some great stuff that's not in the final hardback version)

I've also lucked out and found copies of the Coastal Patrol Base 21 and Base 17 official histories from a great military used book store in Wells, ME.  (Was just passing by and stopped in.)  BTW-the Library of Congress has the Base 17 history--that's how I purchased my first copy (albeit as photocopies)(http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=1&ti=1,1&Search%5FArg=coastal%20patrol%20base%2017&Search%5FCode=FT%2A&CNT=25&PID=21484&SEQ=20080516163509&SID=2

Some of my favorite old books places are:
www.abebooks.com
www.alibris.com
www.bibliofind.com

Good hunting--it does take a bit of patience, but they do eventually show up.
Peter J. Turecek, Major, CAP
Historian
New York Wing

DesertFlyer

I got three of the titles on the 223 pamphlet list from Amazon.  There were a couple others available, but not at a price I was willing to pay.  I'd love to find the titles on uniforms and insignia, but those may be tough.

In any case, the three I got will check off one of the boxes for the Senior rating.

Lt Col Dave Finley, CAP
Socorro Composite Squadron
New Mexico Wing

Semper Fidelis -- Semper Vigilans

Timothy

Nice! Yeah I need to keep feelers out on this stuff.

By the way, speaking of the 'ole 223, I applied for the AFIADL Historian Journeyman course.... and they told me that they discontinued it in 2006. So much for that! It was an interactive CD too... might have been enjoyable, and not 30 years old like the other courses.
Long Beach Squadron 150
PCR-CA-343

RiverAux

Jeez, I guess they're moving real quick to keep their website up to date.  I think  I just saw it there a few weeks ago. 

Timothy

It's still there! I sent the app in a week ago. I guess its not very popular or they would have taken it down already. One less thing for me to do I suppose, but I was curious to see what the course material was.
Long Beach Squadron 150
PCR-CA-343