Service Jacket Braiding

Started by SSgt Rudin, April 25, 2008, 03:57:55 PM

SSgt Rudin

Does any one know of a place to buy the blue braiding for the service jacket? I checked AAFES and they don't have it on their site, and Vanguard only has the silver. For some reason about 5 of my SM's did not receive braiding with their jacket when it was shipped from AAFES.  ???
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

tjaxe

Did you notify AAFES the braiding wasn't sent?  Maybe they can send it to you.

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

You can also go to the hock shop.  Tom usually has it in stock.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

adamblank

If you happen to be near an AFB, the MCSS should just give you a braid if you are nice to them.
Adam Brandao

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: tjaxe on April 25, 2008, 04:02:08 PM

They have had their jackets for awhile now, they "didn't know" they needed it.
Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on April 25, 2008, 04:02:41 PM

Thanks, found it. There I go making assumptions again. "meh vanguard and aafes don't have it, the hock shop probably wont either."  ::)
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Cecil DP

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on April 25, 2008, 04:10:28 PM
Quote from: tjaxe on April 25, 2008, 04:02:08 PM

They have had their jackets for awhile now, they "didn't know" they needed it.
Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on April 25, 2008, 04:02:41 PM

Thanks, found it. There I go making assumptions again. "meh vanguard and aafes don't have it, the hock shop probably wont either."  ::)

When you order the service coat, you have to identify it as an "Officer's Uniform"
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

DNall

vanguard does have it, but it's under the AF section. Make sure you get it attached professionally. Near a mil base if possible.

JohnKachenmeister

If they bought an officer uniform, they paid for the braid.  Call AAFES and make them give it to you.
Another former CAP officer

Pylon

Before you have the braid applied, make sure the sleeves are adjusted for your hand length first.

It is very rare that a jacket/blazer fits a man off the rack.  They really need to be adjusted.  Most men have different lengths for their left and right arms as well.

CAPM 39-1 specifies the proper length for your service jacket sleeve as measured from your thumb.  Bring this to the tailor who is adding the sleeve braid.  The sleeve braid positioning is determined from the edge of the sleeve, so that's why I say have them adjusted for your arm length first.  If you apply the sleeve braid, then change the length of the sleeve, the braid will be off.

Since they are going to have to open up the sleeve lining to apply the braid, might as well have the length adjusted properly while they're in there.  It should only take your tailor a few seconds with your jacket on to properly chalk the sleeves for adjustment.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Al Sayre

This is probably a stupid question, but have you checked the inside pockets.  That's where mine was when I received the jacket, all crammed into the bottom of the pocket.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Duke Dillio

"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people."

>:D

Look, I made a funny!!!

tjaxe

Quote from: Pylon on April 25, 2008, 07:48:43 PM
Before you have the braid applied, make sure the sleeves are adjusted for your hand length first.

You know, this might seem like common sense, but hints like this are ridiculously helpful to those of us who have never done things like have braid applied to sleeves.  I just bought my jacket a week or so ago and was SO close to making this "common sense" mistake. Thanks Pylon!!!

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

mikeylikey

Quote from: Pylon on April 25, 2008, 07:48:43 PM

It is very rare that a jacket/blazer fits a man off the rack.  They really need to be adjusted.  Most men have different lengths for their left and right arms as well.

CAPM 39-1 specifies the proper length for your service jacket sleeve as measured from your thumb.  Bring this to the tailor who is adding the sleeve braid.  The sleeve braid positioning is determined from the edge of the sleeve, so that's why I say have them adjusted for your arm length first.  If you apply the sleeve braid, then change the length of the sleeve, the braid will be off.

Since they are going to have to open up the sleeve lining to apply the braid, might as well have the length adjusted properly while they're in there.  It should only take your tailor a few seconds with your jacket on to properly chalk the sleeves for adjustment.

MIKE......stuff like this should be included in the NEW 39-1.  Many CAP Officers are not keen to military stuff, and elaboration in the uniform reg on little things like this would be Awesome. 
What's up monkeys?

Cecil DP

If you bought the uniform thru AFEES, They will pay for the alterations including the braid. If you bring it to the base tailoring shop. (Usually next to or in the MCCS)
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

AlphaSigOU

For those who don't have CAPM 39-1 open to that particular section:

Officer braid is placed all around the sleeve three inches from the end of the finished, tailored jacket sleeve.

Remember the braid thicknesses:

5/8" dark blue - AF style service dress (officers FO-Col)

1-1/4" dark blue - general officers only

5/8" silver - corporate service uniform service dress jacket only (FO-Col)

1-1/4" silver - general officers only on corporate service dress jacket

There is no 1/2" braid - unless you're looking for the narrow stripe on Navy/Coastie LTJG or LCDR. (At least not in dark blue!)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040