Is CAP Really Worse than the Air Force in Enforcing Weight Regs?

Started by Eagle400, April 24, 2008, 01:33:57 AM

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: sargrunt on April 24, 2008, 03:52:19 PM
According to your chart, I'm like obese or something.

*picks up a Twinkie and chomps it down*

I take offense to that.

*drinks a Mountain Dew*

I'm 5'10" and 210 pounds and I don't think I'm all that fat.

*eats a Ding Dong*

I mean where do they get their numbers from.

*drinks another Mountain Dew*

I mean I can still do 50 push ups and 70 sit ups in four hours.

This is a crock.

All I can do is excercise by watching the Computer awaiting for more posts from CAPTalk, throwing the monitor across the room when someone posts somthing about uniforms, policy, or brain dead comments......

BTW, 5-10, 250, BMI of 35.9 (severly Obeste)  Ummm... Bull Hockey.....

Gunner C

At 6'1" and 202 lbs (fresh out of SF School) I would have been moderately over weight.  Heck, I was nearly in the best shape of my life.  Those tables are a crock.

When I went to HALO J/M, there was a Marine SSgt who was slated for the same class.  He had a tiny waist and huge shoulders, about 8% body fat, and almost got thrown out of the class because he was over the weight screening tables.  The marine liaison had to come to his rescue - at that time, they didn't have a pinch test, tape test, or submersion tank.  I'm sure that he'd be considered obese by the table we're looking at.  Never mind that he could crush you with his forearm and bicep.  ;D

I'm not a big fan of those tables.  I had a junior medic on my team in Panama.  If you looked at him, you'd swear he was a fat slob.  But if you got him out on a run or a ruck march, he'd smoke you like a cheap cigar.  He was balding, kinda round, but strong as an ox and had the stamina of a mule team.

What's the point?  As you've heard me joke before: "It's not how you play, it's how you look."  I never had a problem with a fat mess sergeant.  It didn't interfere with his job.  A fat clerk?  As long as he didn't "fat finger" the type writer, it was fine.  If they could pass the PT test, what's the rub?  The Eskimo scouts in the Alaska NG had a heck of a time with the Army - they weren't over weight, they were just under tall.  But if you ever went out with them patrolling on the polar ice cap, you'd know that they were some of the best soldiers in the army.  They looked like crap in uniform, but they showed this (then) young Green Beret quite a bit (and smoked me).

GC

Cecil DP

I remember a Staff Sergeant I was stationed with at Quantico, many years ago. During a Command Inspection by the IG, he was singled out for being too fat. He immediately produced a letter from the Commandant of the Marine Corps stating that he was exempt from the Height/ Weight requirements as long as he maintained his membership on the US Olympic weightlifting team.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

CadetProgramGuy

Classic Example of how wrong BMI is:

Mr. Olympia, Jay Cutler.  His Website:

http://www.jaycutler.com/index.html

Height:  5-9
Weight: 274 (contest weight), 310 (off season)

BMI:  40.5 or 45.8

He is considered MORBIDLY OBESTE, and he needs to make drastic changes to his lifestyle to continue to live.........

ColonelJack

And yet, there's something to be learned from BMI and charts and tables and all that stuff like that there.

Me:  49 years old ... 5' 8" tall ... 265 lbs. ... and the most exercise I get is Scottish Country Dancing once a week and walking across a middle-school campus three times a day.

Now I do qualify as morbidly obese. 

I'm told I should watch my waistline.  I can't miss it.  All I have to do is look down.  (When was the last time I saw my toes, anyway?)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Duke Dillio

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 25, 2008, 11:55:37 AM
And yet, there's something to be learned from BMI and charts and tables and all that stuff like that there.

Me:  49 years old ... 5' 8" tall ... 265 lbs. ... and the most exercise I get is Scottish Country Dancing once a week and walking across a middle-school campus three times a day.

I'm told I should watch my waistline.  I can't miss it.  All I have to do is look down.  (When was the last time I saw my toes, anyway?)

Jack

What would you need to see your toes for anyways?  They are all the same.  Pretty boring looking if you ask me.

Al Sayre

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 25, 2008, 04:16:45 AM
Gee,

I'm 6'1", 145 lbs, 31" waist, and I can not seem to put on weight.  The more I eat, the less I weigh. ??? I don't know how it works but how can I add some meat to my bones?

I hate you!   :D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Duke Dillio

Quote from: Al Sayre on April 25, 2008, 01:08:40 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on April 25, 2008, 04:16:45 AM
Gee,

I'm 6'1", 145 lbs, 31" waist, and I can not seem to put on weight.  The more I eat, the less I weigh. ??? I don't know how it works but how can I add some meat to my bones?

I hate you!   :D

X2   >:D

Maybe you should go start hitting the Texas Roadhouse Grill.  Order a 48 oz. ribeye and repeat for like 2 weeks.

aveighter

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 25, 2008, 11:55:37 AM

Jack

Jeez Jack,  I'm going to see you on my table sooner than later.

Chappie

According to that chart, I am not overweight...I am 5 inches shorter than I should be for my weight!!
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

RickFranz

I think this whole weight thing is just a way to get rid of folks they don't need anymore.  I guess if I had to cut 40,000 jobs (I believe that's the number I read) I'd come up with some sort of hard standard and start pairing down those that don't meet it.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

shorning

Quote from: RickFranz on April 26, 2008, 03:44:28 AM
I guess if I had to cut 40,000 jobs (I believe that's the number I read)...

Most of the billets being cut aren't actually filled with a body right now...

mikeylikey

Quote from: shorning on April 26, 2008, 04:00:43 AM

Man.....those evil robots are taking all of our jobs. 

What's up monkeys?

Eagle400

In other words, they're being filled by civilian contractors.   >:D

shorning

Quote from: CCSE on April 26, 2008, 08:10:11 PM

In other words, they're being filled by civilian contractors.   >:D

No, in other words, those billets are sitting empty.

Eagle400

Quote from: shorning on April 26, 2008, 08:15:39 PM
No, in other words, those billets are sitting empty.

In other words, someone can't take a joke.

SAR-EMT1

Can someone give me some examples of these 40 grand jobs that don't have anyone filling them.   Why aren't they being utilized?

Are these job that no one uses anymore? - Senior Cathode Tube Inspector?

Or is it something else?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

lordmonar

The first sergeant duty is only manned at 50% right now.

Most career fields weigh in at about 85-90% full manning.

They are out sourcing jobs as fast as they can.

They are standing up new squadrons without any blue suit personnel to man them.

They are only assigning 1/2 the necessary admin types to take commander's support staff.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eagle400

The AF has a weird sense of humor.

They say "People are our greatest resource"...

and then cut thousands of airmen.

::)

mikeylikey

^ well they wanted airplanes they couldn't afford.......thus they cut people. 
What's up monkeys?