Is CAP Really Worse than the Air Force in Enforcing Weight Regs?

Started by Eagle400, April 24, 2008, 01:33:57 AM

Eagle400

:o

I received this week of Air Force Times, and found an article that caught my attention immediately. 

So... is CAP really worse than the Air Force when it comes to overweight personnel in uniform?  55% overweight is not a small number. 

For the purposes of this thread, I am referring to overweight airmen and those overweight CAP members who wear the AF uniform.

I could say a lot more about this, but the statistics pretty much speak for themselves.  Hard to argue with good, solid, empirical evidence.   

mikeylikey

Didn't the AF just recently (last 5 years) add the weight factor to it's PT Test?? 

STONEWALL.......we need your help here. 

Since we don't weigh CAP members....there can be no comparison. 
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

Well, at least under the old AF weight standards (in the chart in 39-1), you could meet the AF uniform wearing requirement while still being classified as overweight under the BMI.  Using current CAP standards you can slightly break into the "Obese" category and still be ok to wear the AF uniform (if you run the CAP weight requirements through a BMI calculator). 

So, I'm not surprised if the AF personnel don't look good.  However, keep in mind that BMI is just a fancy variation of the old height/weight chart and doesn't take into account physical fitness or muscle mass.  So, you can be a real buff, healthy person and look overweight according to BMI.

That being said, I don't think you're going to find many BMI-rated Obese people who are going to pass the other AF physical fitness standards and the percentage of AF personnel who fall in that category should be a worry.  However, I think it is safe to say that any actual comparison between CAP and AF on this factor would probably come out in the AF's favor despite these stats. 

mikeylikey

That is a tasty looking donut in the article though!   RIGHT?!?!

I looooooooove SPRINKLES!
What's up monkeys?

shorning

Major Carrales

I was thinking the other day when I was listening to the radio, in another one of those "is CAP really worse?" threads, that the Army and Marines were letting in Criminals/felons.  It was a significant number.  So, is CAP better than these services in terms of that?

I don't think such comparisons are fair, they are two different animals.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Fifinella

What the AF has added is a waist measurement, based on the current theory that people who carry a lot of weight around the midsection are more prone to heart attack, diabetes, etc.  You get points based on your waist measurement.  I think you max out in that category if it is less than 35 inches.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Gunner C

Quote from: Fifinella on April 24, 2008, 06:17:58 AM
What the AF has added is a waist measurement, based on the current theory that people who carry a lot of weight around the midsection are more prone to heart attack, diabetes, etc.  You get points based on your waist measurement.  I think you max out in that category if it is less than 35 inches.

At 24 years old, after SF School, my waist was 36".  Since my body (at that time) was like a missile, they must be expecting either pencil necks or refugees.  Sheesh.  36" ain't exactly a blubbo.  AAMOF, I'd LOVE to have a 36" waist again (8 more inches to go - should be there in about a year).  ;D

GC

Stonewall

I think when people consider folks overweight or obese, it is more of a medical statement than an appearance thing.  For instance, see my PT score card below.  I had a 36" waist which only gave me 22.2 points out of 30, with a "body age" of 37 (I'm 35).  However, I ran 1 1/2 miles in 10:36.  By the chart below, I'm "moderately overweight.  I don't think I appear overweight, except maybe for my love handles, but by medical standards, I am; albeit moderately.  I think by these types of government standards, more people would be overweight than not.

BTW, in order to get the maximum points for the waist portion of the AF PFT, you have a 32.5 inch waist.  Keep in mind, that's regardless if you're 5' 5" or 6' 5".

So when the AF Times says that lots of airmen are overweight, of course they are, based on these standards.  I don't think that means a majority or even a large portion of the Force appears fat and sloppy, or even unfit.  I think it seems worse than it is based on such standards.

US Government Weight Chart:

My April 2008 PT Test Results:

Here's a link to the AF PT standards.
Serving since 1987.

lordmonar

The difference between CAP and the USAF....is that in the USAF if you bust standards they put you on the program, give you a bad evaluation and threaten to kick you out.  In CAP they make you wear a different uniform.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Stonewall on April 24, 2008, 12:43:24 PM
BTW, in order to get the maximum points for the waist portion of the AF PFT, you have a 32.5 inch waist.  Keep in mind, that's regardless if you're 5' 5" or 6' 5".

That is a hard number to hit.  I'm 6'1" and 150 lbs.  I don't have love handles or a gut of any kind.  That chart says I'm barely in the healthy weight range on the low end.  10 pounds lighter and I'm not on the measured portion anymore.  I have a 33 inch waist.  If I lost weight to bring it down 1 inch, I'd probably be told to put on more weight.

I think the other events are fine because it is something that you can affect, with the waist measurement, eventually there will come a time when you can't lose more weight for health reasons.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Stonewall

Got this from a Senior AF NCO and this does put the AF PFT into light:

Fit-to-Fight - A Different Perspective
by SMSgt Dan Lucero

There's a Reebok commercial that aired a few years ago showing a guy in a dark room lying on his sofa watching TV. He gets up and walks across the room to grab his duffle bag and head off to the gym. Just then, the sofa comes to life, blocks the door and commences to pummel the guy with various wrestling moves as he tries to get out of the house and on to his workout. The scene, although far fetched, is a hilarious and metaphoric depiction of the daily conflict we face within ourselves as we try to maintain our readiness and healthy lifestyle.

For many of us the sofa represents ops tempo, self-discipline, or family commitments. In an effort to reduce these barriers, the Air Force established the Fit-to-Fight (FTF) program, which has met significant resistance primarily due to the emphasis placed on the waist measurement and its impact on the score. For this reason, I believe we should move to a "Go, No Go" type rating to help promote what the program is designed to instill – a healthy lifestyle. This mindset will provide benefits well past our active duty commitment. Now that our level of fitness is included in our EPRs, I would like you to consider the following concerning the score of the FTF test.

In an effort to live up to our core value Excellence in all we do, a "satisfactory" or "good" rating just isn't good enough and we have adopted the same philosophy with the FTF program. The goal of the program is to foster a mindset of health and readiness, not to focus on a score. So, why is the waist measurement so heavily weighed? Here is your answer; according to the Department of Health and Human Services, the larger your waist, the greater your risk of high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart related illnesses.

In terms of score, this may appear to give an unfair advantage to people with smaller frames, but that is irrelevant. Adopting habits that support a slimmer waistline is the overall objective and ultimately benefits the Air Force and its Airmen. That being said, some of us just aren't cut out to score in the 90s, in fact even some professional athletes would struggle to merely pass our PT test. According to CBS Sportsline.com, Shaquille O'Neal, at age 34 stood 7'1" tall, had a waist measurement of 46", and weighed in at 325lbs. If he were to max out all areas of our PT test minus the waist measurement, he would struggle to score a 70. That's right, a 70! That makes me somewhat satisfied with my humble score of 82.

As I wrap this up, I want to make this point clear. The FTF program was designed to promote a lifestyle change that will benefit the Air Force and its members for years after the shine on our medals has faded. The newest version of the EPR states "meets" or "does not meet" fitness standards and I suggest we view our performance in the PT test the in the same fashion. We need to concentrate on the benefits of following the guidance provided for us and practice humility when it comes to the score. Last, we should exemplify the fact that by being fit we are equipped to fulfill our responsibilities to our families, our subordinates, and our Air Force.
Serving since 1987.

ColonelJack

I had a 36" waist

I have a 33 inch waist.

I hate both of you.   >:D

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

capchiro

I think about 10 years ago, my brother was discharged from the Air Force because he was 15 pounds too heavy.  He was placed on the fat boy program and sent to a psychologist.  The psychologist asked him if he was happy with his body and he answered yes, so the psychologist told him not to worry about it, so he didn't and he didn't lose the 15 pounds and he got discharged with a general discharge.. he worked in the dental clinic and was an NCO.  I tried to convince him to do the Adkins diet for a month and he would lose the weight, but he refused.  If you look at the original article, it looks like the Air Force is doing just as good as all of the military in the comparison.  I do think anyone under the age of 40 should be able to meet the standards, with that said, I will quietly depart with my pudgy 61 year old body and find my golf shirt for tonights meeting..   
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

LittleIronPilot

Wow...I am 5'7" tall, work out one, to two, times a day (lifting in one session and running in another) and weigh in at 165lbs.

According the the chart I am moderately overweight, what a crock!

Stonewall

Quote from: LittleIronPilot on April 24, 2008, 02:21:29 PM
According the the chart I am moderately overweight, what a crock!

Hahahaha....FATTY!

Now you know how I feel.  I work out regularly, mostly cardio, and with multiple past and present injuries and surgery, I consider myself in pretty good shape.  But nothing is as demoralizing than being told that your body is older than I actually am, by 2 years.  I guess I could stop eating.
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

According to your chart, I'm like obese or something.

*picks up a Twinkie and chomps it down*

I take offense to that.

*drinks a Mountain Dew*

I'm 5'10" and 210 pounds and I don't think I'm all that fat.

*eats a Ding Dong*

I mean where do they get their numbers from.

*drinks another Mountain Dew*

I mean I can still do 50 push ups and 70 sit ups in four hours.

This is a crock.

ColonelJack

Quote from: sargrunt on April 24, 2008, 03:52:19 PM
I mean I can still do 50 push ups and 70 sit ups in four hours.

Wow, that is impressive!  It takes me four days.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

SarDragon

Age - 59
Weight - 172
Height - 5'10"
Situps/Crunches - 50 or so in 2 min
Pushups - 10?
Sit/Reach - fuggedaboudit, couldn't pass at 25.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RogueLeader

Gee,

I'm 6'1", 145 lbs, 31" waist, and I can not seem to put on weight.  The more I eat, the less I weigh. ??? I don't know how it works but how can I add some meat to my bones?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340