All, some, or none vs. All or none

Started by ♠SARKID♠, April 17, 2008, 03:43:18 AM

MIKE

French Para Badge IIRC.  And... Topic.
Mike Johnston

arajca

::YANK::

Seniors retained the "some" option. So, if a SM wants to short stack or only wear their highest PD ribbon, they can.

SAR-EMT1

IMO Cadets should be given the option to wear all some or none upon attaining the Mitchell.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

arajca

As do many. However, I would not require cadets to remove ribbons they have earned, regardless of how I think they look - unless the ribbons are in physically poor condition, i.e. frayed.

mikeylikey

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 26, 2008, 03:12:02 AM
IMO Cadets should be given the option to wear all some or none upon attaining the Mitchell.

+1 (times a billion)

It should be Cadet Officer= removal of all achievements prior to the Mitch.  Figuring if they were to turn Senior, they would only be allowed to wear the highest cadet achievement ribbon anyway.  Might as well clean up the stack a little!!
What's up monkeys?

PHall

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 26, 2008, 04:55:37 AM

+1 (times a billion)

It should be Cadet Officer= removal of all achievements prior to the Mitch.  Figuring if they were to turn Senior, they would only be allowed to wear the highest cadet achievement ribbon anyway.  Might as well clean up the stack a little!!

They had that rule in the early-mid 70's. It only lasted a couple of years before the National Board recinded the rule because of all of the whining by the bling gods.

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

SAR-EMT1

Who exactly whined? The National CAC?  The NHQ Director of Cadet Programs?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

lordmonar

Why?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on April 26, 2008, 09:55:53 PM

Why?

To fend off the "South American Dictator" look with all of those ribbons.

There was a C/Col at a event where GEN Colin Powell was attending when he was the Chairman of the JCS and the cadet had more ribbons then the General did.
And the cadet had the "normal" number of ribbons earned by Spaatz cadets.

lordmonar

then reduce the number of ribbons.

But once they earn them...don't make them take them off.

SAR-EMT1

Think of it like this:
Once a cadet get Mitchell he/she wipes the slate clean and starts over (achievement wise) So too goes the ribbons.
Obviously they keep things like encampment or CAC ribbons etc...

But then again Im in favor of merely issuing the Curry and a ribbon for every mile stone. - Wright Bros, Mitchell etc. with stars or something to signify the steps in between. - Same as for Seniors.

Less is more.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

sandman

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 27, 2008, 04:43:53 AM
Think of it like this:
Once a cadet get Mitchell he/she wipes the slate clean and starts over (achievement wise) So too goes the ribbons.
Obviously they keep things like encampment or CAC ribbons etc...

But then again Im in favor of merely issuing the Curry and a ribbon for every mile stone. - Wright Bros, Mitchell etc. with stars or something to signify the steps in between. - Same as for Seniors.

Less is more.

Here, Here!
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on April 27, 2008, 03:58:33 AM

Actually, that's been done at least twice that I know of. Once in the late 50's and again in the late 60's.
But we keep taking after our "parent service" and keep making more ribbons to earn/wear.

How many new ribbons have been authorized for the Air Force since you went through Lackland?
It's not just a CAP problem. The whole US military in general seems to have this problem. ::)

lordmonar

Well...if we stopped having these wars....we would not need new medals. ;D

SAR-EMT1

I really want to quote George Carlin now... ::)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

cnitas

Quote from: PHall on April 27, 2008, 05:13:05 AM

Actually, that's been done at least twice that I know of. Once in the late 50's and again in the late 60's.
But we keep taking after our "parent service" and keep making more ribbons to earn/wear.

How many new ribbons have been authorized for the Air Force since you went through Lackland?
It's not just a CAP problem. The whole US military in general seems to have this problem. ::)

Since we now have 5 Milestone ribbons, we could eliminate achievement ribbons altogether and just keep the milestones +curry. 

That would give a Spaatz cadet who did nothing but test and the required encampment, and a red service award, 8 ribbons. 

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

MIKE

IMO... for a some option standard, I would do only the highest cadet achievement or award ribbon plus all other decorations/service ribbons.  Same as already established for seniors for like awards and for pro-dev awards by CAPR 39-3.

Because the awards are sequential, I see no reason to wear more than one at a time.  Ideally this means cadets could trade up for the next ribbon much like many units already do for grade insignia, and since the other awards are less regularly awarded one could go more than a few months with the same Unimount, rather than having to change both out each couple of months.

Mike Johnston

PHall

Quote from: cnitas on April 27, 2008, 08:45:22 PM
Quote from: PHall on April 27, 2008, 05:13:05 AM

Since we now have 5 Milestone ribbons, we could eliminate achievement ribbons altogether and just keep the milestones +curry. 

That would give a Spaatz cadet who did nothing but test and the required encampment, and a red service award, 8 ribbons. 

That was done back in the late 60's. And as I said in a previous post, it only lasted a couple of years before we went back to wearing all of the ribbons.

But hey, if somebody can get a Wing or Region Commander or two or three to back this and to get it on the agenda for a National Board or National Excutive Committee meeting and actually get it passed, great!

But I'm not holding my breath.

Blue is so not my color!

jb512

I don't think anyone is trying to make it mandatory, but rather an option like seniors have.