Advanced Initial Grade and the Prof Dev Program

Started by RiverAux, April 06, 2008, 05:38:01 PM

What is your best estimate of how many CAP members who receive advance CAP grade after joining actively participate in the Professional Development program and get promoted?

0-25 %
24 (48%)
26-50%
20 (40%)
51-75%
6 (12%)
76-100%
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 50

arajca

Slightly off topic, but related...

Do you see advanced promoters wearing senior awards, such as the Leadership Ribbon, they haven't earned because they promoted over them and haven't backfilled? If so, do you think it is right?

James Shaw

I do not feel that you should claim or wear anything you have not worked for or completed. I do not care personally if it is a recruiting ribbon or the red service ribbon. I also strongly believe that you should wear what you have earned.

My 2 Cents Worth

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

dwb

I actually have no problem with promotions that are not based strictly on duty performance.  The special appointment promotions are cool with me; rank is one of the few things we can use to recognize members that add value to the organization.

However, the more it rolls around in my head, the more I like the idea of mandatory professional development progression.  We can be reasonable about the timeframes, and maybe only require the progression up to Level III, making IV and V optional for the hard-chargers and senior leaders.

I think I'm going to start a new thread about that, and stop trying to bend this thread to my will...

chiles

Quote from: arajca on April 09, 2008, 02:42:18 PM
Slightly off topic, but related...

Do you see advanced promoters wearing senior awards, such as the Leadership Ribbon, they haven't earned because they promoted over them and haven't backfilled? If so, do you think it is right?

I think that's in direct violation of what is required to achieve a reward. There is a difference between the professional development series and rank. The PD series is a prerequisite for rank advancement, but not the other way around. Rank is not indicative of PD completion for the reasons discussed throughout this thread. So, if someone is given an advanced rank upon entry of CAP but have not completed the levels of PD development required for an award, or they have not completed the requirements for advancement through a specialty track, they are not authorized award and, if they knowingly wear the ribbons in violation, there is an issue of integrity.
Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878

futura

Rejoined CAP (after 33-year break in membership): 23 Jun 2004

Level I: 30 Jun 2004
Level II: 26 Sep 2007
Level III: 12 Feb 2008
Level IV: Have approximately half of the requirements completed

Once my application was found and the smoke cleared, I came in as a 1st Lt having been a former Earhart cadet. I knew that I had kept that old CAP Times for a reason.

Great thread by the way.

Captain Futura 08 Dec 2007

jpnelson82

I'm pleased that CAP allows some Seniors to get Advanced initial grades. I for one, as a former cadet Major would be upset if I spent years as a cadet, earned an Earhart or Spaatz and got nothing for it. That would make me very upset. To have to start over at the bottom of the totem pole after all that effort would be insulting.
Captain Nelson, John P.
SWR-AZ-064 (senior)
SER-GA-116 (cadet)

Mitchell Award 43981
Earhart Award 10643
IACE 2000