Main Menu

Using PA's for Awards?

Started by Pylon, March 31, 2008, 01:18:00 PM

Cecil DP

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 14, 2008, 01:54:04 AM
Quote from: Pylon on April 13, 2008, 05:31:01 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on April 13, 2008, 12:44:12 PM
So did I.

However, do we then need to fill out a CAPF 2a for any further awards, ie bronze or silver stars?

See the same reg.  Yes, you do.

I did, but it only refers to the ribbon.  Attachments are not mentioned, other than that they are authorized to be worn on the ribbon.  It does not mention on how they are authorized.  It may be that it needs to be clarified in the next revision.
The star or clasp is in lieu of a second or subsequent ribbon or award. You'll notice on the 2a that there is a check for the award of the clasp(s) for the ribbons which can be awarded through 2a actions
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SAR-EMT1

Being a PDO/ ADMIN/ DP, with Senior ratings who lacks the Wing staff job to make master I can say this:

According to regs the Awards are all done by the form 2's. No Exceptions, None.  (personal experience)

For two reasons:
1) In the event that a member transfers or is retired/membership lapses etc.
NHQ will NOT accept a PA as proof of prior accomplishment. AE- a lt col. with a form 45 full of PA's will be forced to start over as a SM. because he lacks the form 2's
(personal experience)

2) PA's are not mentioned in the regs, but form 2's are.

The easiest thing to do is set up a template of all awards on your computer that can be issued at your level and just imput the individual info when the time comes.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SarDragon

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 15, 2008, 04:54:30 AM
Being a PDO/ ADMIN/ DP, with Senior ratings who lacks the Wing staff job to make master I can say this:

According to regs the Awards are all done by the form 2's. No Exceptions, None.  (personal experience)

I think you need to Chillax a bit. You are letting your apparent emotional involvement override your careful thinking.

Firstly, the Form 2 is used for promotions, nothing more, nothing less. The Form 2a is used to award Activity and Service Ribbons, and the Crossfield Award. PD awards are done with the Form 24. The original Q was about ribbons commonly awarded on 2a's. I have seen PAs used for this in multiple units, all the way back to my cadet days. As stated above, my group routinely uses PAs for Red Service Ribbons, because it's easier to type a three page PA than 30 or 40 2a's.

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 15, 2008, 04:54:30 AMFor two reasons:
1) In the event that a member transfers or is retired/membership lapses etc.
NHQ will NOT accept a PA as proof of prior accomplishment. AE- a lt col. with a form 45 full of PA's will be forced to start over as a SM. because he lacks the form 2's
(personal experience)

2) PA's are not mentioned in the regs, but form 2's are.

I think there's more to that situation than you are telling us. It looks like you are possibly referring to SM PD awards.

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 15, 2008, 04:54:30 AMThe easiest thing to do is set up a template of all awards on your computer that can be issued at your level and just imput the individual info when the time comes.

I think this is a common sense issue. It gets a signed piece of paper in the right place(s) to affirm an administrative action. I think you would be hard put to convince admin folks to stop doing this, even though it does violate the letter of the reg. If you feel so strongly about this, why don't you fly it up the chain and see if you can get it clarified or fixed one way or the other. IMHO, it's not a battle worth fighting.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret