Main Menu

Using PA's for Awards?

Started by Pylon, March 31, 2008, 01:18:00 PM

Pylon

With our squadron awards banquet/dining-out coming up, we usually present a large number of awards.  For the one off's, like the AFA/AFSA/VFW awards, it's easy to crank out a custom-tailored CAPF 2A or CAPF 120 as the case may be.   However, it becomes tedious when you're working out, say, 6 red service ribbons or 5 leadership ribbons, etc.

Is is possible to issue a Personnel Authorization (PA) listing each award being given and a list of people being authorized for it? 

If so, how would that work for obtaining higher echelon approval (getting group and/or wing signatures) on the awards?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Hawk200

I don't think there is really an allowance for such a thing in the regs. Not to mention that National would scream bloody murder if you didn't send it in formatted in a manner they're familiar with.

With the electronic forms we have, it's really not that difficult. Simple cut and paste. Would only really take a few minutes for each one. It may be annoying to do separate ones, but it really isn't that hard. Anyone with a laptop, and access to a printer, could do the paperwork pretty easily.

The Red Service ribbon requires a 2A, as do the other decs. A leadership ribbon does not. Focus on the ones that require actual paperwork, and don't be concerned with the "automatic" ones. It should reduce your paperwork a bit.

As for the automatic awards, just present the ribbon to the people receiving one. IF you want to get fancy, present one of the "mini-medals". It's a little more than just a little ribbon.

cnitas

I have been awarded 2 commanders commendations on PAs.  I do not think that a Red Service Ribbon would be a problem.

You may want to give a call to your wing to see if they would have a problem approving a Red Service PA.

(In MD, the award of many of the service ribbons have been delegated to Squadron Commanders)
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Pylon

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 31, 2008, 01:43:23 PM
I don't think there is really an allowance for such a thing in the regs. Not to mention that National would scream bloody murder if you didn't send it in formatted in a manner they're familiar with.

With the electronic forms we have, it's really not that difficult. Simple cut and paste. Would only really take a few minutes for each one. It may be annoying to do separate ones, but it really isn't that hard. Anyone with a laptop, and access to a printer, could do the paperwork pretty easily.

I was just hoping to simply the process.  It may not seem like a big deal, but two or three copies of each CAPF 2A (one for the approving echelon to hold on to, one for the member's file, one for our squadron's file) going up and down the chain for 2 dozen ribbon awards can create quite a pile of paper really quickly.

The Wing Commander has only delegated the Red service ribbon to Group, all others must still go to Wing.

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 31, 2008, 01:43:23 PMThe Red Service ribbon requires a 2A, as do the other decs. A leadership ribbon does not. Focus on the ones that require actual paperwork, and don't be concerned with the "automatic" ones. It should reduce your paperwork a bit.

Well, even though it would seem things like the Leadership ribbon and PD awards would be automatic, by the letter of the regs, paperwork is still required.  At least for these, the squadron commander can sign.

Quote from: CAPR 50-174-3. Leadership Award Ribbon.
Successful completion of the technician level of the specialty track makes the member eligible for the CAP Leadership Award ribbon. (CAP also authorizes the Bronze Star attachment to the ribbon for completion of the senior rating, and the Silver Star for completion of the master rating.) Request authorization for wear of the ribbon on the CAPF 2a (Attachment 9). Include in Block VII the name of the award, date unit commander approved technician rating, and the specialty track number. The unit Professional Development Officer signs the requester signature block. The unit commander has approval authority. The member may then purchase the ribbon from the CAP Bookstore.

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 31, 2008, 01:43:23 PMAs for the automatic awards, just present the ribbon to the people receiving one. IF you want to get fancy, present one of the "mini-medals". It's a little more than just a little ribbon.

We usually present the ribbon in a little plastic display case.  The mini-medals would just add up in price too quickly.

arajca

The CAPF 2A can be signed electronically. You do not need to send several reams of paper up the chain for signature.

ctrossen

Frankly, I prefer to use PAs to award anything that includes more than one member (Wisconsin Wing has delegated authority for just about every service and activity ribbon to the unit level)--it's much easier to take a look at one list of names as opposed to triplicates of "X" number of 2As, not to mention easier on the signature hand.

And like cnitas, I too have been awarded things like Commander's Commendations and the Command Service Ribbon on PAs issued from the wing--perhaps not as individualized as nicely written 120s and 2As, but also requires far less work to "crank out" (and thus also more likely to be "cranked out").
Chris Trossen, Lt Col, CAP
Agency Liaison
Wisconsin Wing

Hawk200

Quote from: Pylon on March 31, 2008, 05:00:48 PM
Well, even though it would seem things like the Leadership ribbon and PD awards would be automatic, by the letter of the regs, paperwork is still required.  At least for these, the squadron commander can sign.

Successful completion of the technician level of the specialty track makes the member eligible for the CAP Leadership Award ribbon. (CAP also authorizes the Bronze Star attachment to the ribbon for completion of the senior rating, and the Silver Star for completion of the master rating.) Request authorization for wear of the ribbon on the CAPF 2a (Attachment 9). Include in Block VII the name of the award, date unit commander approved technician rating, and the specialty track number. The unit Professional Development Officer signs the requester signature block. The unit commander has approval authority. The member may then purchase the ribbon from the CAP Bookstore.

Hmmm, missed that. Will keep it in mind in the future. Hoping to get one of those handheld PC's soon. I'll do all my paperwork the moment it's identified. Just whip out the little computer, and punch it in. :)

ßτε

I can't find where regulations allow use of PA's in lieu of CAPF 2a. Does anyone have a reference for that?

SarDragon

I have a UCA that was awarded via PA from NHQ, so doing it at unit level wouldn't seem to be a problem. My group typically issues PAs for Red Service, and the wing does the same for ND finds. IMHO, go for it if no one higher up objects.

"It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

I'd just send an email to the Wing personnel officer and ask them.  They would probably prefer one piece of paper as well. 

I too have received several awards by PA.

Pylon

I guess it just stands to reason that we should be able to do multiple awards by PA. 

I'm all for cutting back bureaucracy and paperwork for the sake of paperwork... particularly in places where a dozen sheets of paper (or pages of a PDF) could be summed into 1 page and be just as effective.    Saves work on our volunteer personnel and admin folks, saves signature time for the higher echelon people, and saves paper in the end.

There seems to be precedent here.  Several of you have noted that your Wing does red service ribbons or UCAs, etc. by PA.   I think the same process here would do just as well.  I will check with the Group and Wing personnel folks just to be sure.  Thanks all for the input.

Short Field

Our current Wing Personnel Officer, while a squadron Personnel Officer, used PAs for most local awards.  That is ONE PA that lists multiple Red Service Ribbons,  Leadership Ribbon awards, promotions, duty assignments, etc.  If it did not require submission up the chain and only goes in the members record - it went on one PA.   There is nothing wrong with this practice.

I use separate CAPF 2s and CAPF 2As for all actions - but that is just my personal preference and supported by fast typing skills, good use of word documents and electronic folders, and a lot of cut and paste.    For promotions, I also print out a promotion certificate on parchment paper for us to present to them.

I think a person deserves their own "document of recognition" to show they are special to us.  But that is just my opinion.  If it starts to take too much time or gets too hard - I would start cutting back.   :D

Don't make it hard - the member just needs something to offically record the action.  As more is done on e-services, then just a page print works find.  At some point we will not need to even do that.

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

ctrossen

Quote from: Pylon on March 31, 2008, 11:04:04 PM
There seems to be precedent here.  Several of you have noted that your Wing does red service ribbons or UCAs, etc. by PA.   I think the same process here would do just as well.  I will check with the Group and Wing personnel folks just to be sure.  Thanks all for the input.

And if you want the ultimate precendent, NHQ uses PAs (in addition to signed and sealed 120s) when awarding the Unit Citation. The attached PA from March 06 shows multiple units being awarded the Unit Citation (and I have another one showing just one unit dated in '07).

Chris Trossen, Lt Col, CAP
Agency Liaison
Wisconsin Wing

TankerT

Quote from: ctrossen on April 01, 2008, 02:26:30 PM
Quote from: Pylon on March 31, 2008, 11:04:04 PM

And if you want the ultimate precendent, NHQ uses PAs (in addition to signed and sealed 120s) when awarding the Unit Citation. The attached PA from March 06 shows multiple units being awarded the Unit Citation (and I have another one showing just one unit dated in '07).

Don't confuse awarding something like a Unit Citation (a decoration) with awarding a Red Service Ribbon (A Service Ribbon.)

Per regulations, Decorations (Unit Citation, Commander's Commendation, Exceptional Service, etc) are supposed to be awarded on a PA.  (See CAPR 39-3, 8, a.)  NHQ is not setting a precedence... they are only following the regulation for that type of award.

The same regulation specifies that Activity and Service Ribbons will be awarded on a CAPF 2a.

/That being said, it is common practice to award service ribbons on a PA... although it is not authorized... so... just be careful... as it could be a hit on an SUI.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

SarDragon

Quote from: TankerT on April 02, 2008, 01:20:43 PM/That being said, it is common practice to award service ribbons on a PA... although it is not authorized... so... just be careful... as it could be a hit on an SUI.

I find that to be highly unlikely in my wing, since many of the IG folks have these PAs in their own records.

My group is pretty agressive about tracking the Red Service awards, and about every six months or so, they put out a PA with the latest awards. I tcertainly saves a lot of time and effort for everyone. To me, it's a common sense item.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ZigZag911

After 9/11 we awarded Disaster Relief Ribbon to two entire squadron and most of Group staff on a single PA (listing the individuals & CAPID), signed without hesitation by Wing CC.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 31, 2008, 06:45:03 PM
Quote from: Pylon on March 31, 2008, 05:00:48 PM

Hmmm, missed that. Will keep it in mind in the future. Hoping to get one of those handheld PC's soon. I'll do all my paperwork the moment it's identified. Jcapf 2aust whip out the little computer, and punch it in. :)

So did I.

However, do we then need to fill out a CAPF 2a for any further awards, ie bronze or silver stars?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pylon

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 13, 2008, 12:44:12 PM
So did I.

However, do we then need to fill out a CAPF 2a for any further awards, ie bronze or silver stars?

See the same reg.  Yes, you do.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Pylon on April 13, 2008, 05:31:01 PM
So did I.

I did, but it only refers to the ribbon.  Attachments are not mentioned, other than that they are authorized to be worn on the ribbon.  It does not mention on how they are authorized.  It may be that it needs to be clarified in the next revision.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pylon

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 14, 2008, 01:54:04 AM
So did I.

I did, but it only refers to the ribbon.  Attachments are not mentioned, other than that they are authorized to be worn on the ribbon.  It does not mention on how they are authorized.  It may be that it needs to be clarified in the next revision.

Hmm... it's there when I look:

Quote from: CAPR 50-175-2. Bronze Star for Leadership Ribbon.
Successful completion of the senior rating in a specialty track results in award of the Bronze Star for the Leadership Award ribbon (CAPR 39-3).  Request authorization on CAPF 2a (Attachment 9).  Include in Block VII the name of award achievement, date unit commander approved senior rating, and the specialty track number.  The unit Professional Development Officer signs as the requester.  The unit commander holds approval authority.

Quote from: CAPR 50-176-2. Silver Star for Leadership Ribbon.
Successful completion of the master rating in a specialty track results in award of the silver star (in place of the bronze star) for the Leadership Award ribbon (CAPR 39-3).  Apply for authorization on CAPF 2a (Attachment 9).  Include in Block VII the name of award achievement, date unit commander approved the master rating, and the specialty track number.  The unit Professional Development Officer provides requester signature.  Approval authority belongs to the unit commander.

Cecil DP

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 14, 2008, 01:54:04 AM
So did I.

The star or clasp is in lieu of a second or subsequent ribbon or award. You'll notice on the 2a that there is a check for the award of the clasp(s) for the ribbons which can be awarded through 2a actions
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SAR-EMT1

Being a PDO/ ADMIN/ DP, with Senior ratings who lacks the Wing staff job to make master I can say this:

According to regs the Awards are all done by the form 2's. No Exceptions, None.  (personal experience)

For two reasons:
1) In the event that a member transfers or is retired/membership lapses etc.
NHQ will NOT accept a PA as proof of prior accomplishment. AE- a lt col. with a form 45 full of PA's will be forced to start over as a SM. because he lacks the form 2's
(personal experience)

2) PA's are not mentioned in the regs, but form 2's are.

The easiest thing to do is set up a template of all awards on your computer that can be issued at your level and just imput the individual info when the time comes.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SarDragon

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 15, 2008, 04:54:30 AM
Being a PDO/ ADMIN/ DP, with Senior ratings who lacks the Wing staff job to make master I can say this:

According to regs the Awards are all done by the form 2's. No Exceptions, None.  (personal experience)

I think you need to Chillax a bit. You are letting your apparent emotional involvement override your careful thinking.

Firstly, the Form 2 is used for promotions, nothing more, nothing less. The Form 2a is used to award Activity and Service Ribbons, and the Crossfield Award. PD awards are done with the Form 24. The original Q was about ribbons commonly awarded on 2a's. I have seen PAs used for this in multiple units, all the way back to my cadet days. As stated above, my group routinely uses PAs for Red Service Ribbons, because it's easier to type a three page PA than 30 or 40 2a's.

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 15, 2008, 04:54:30 AMFor two reasons:
1) In the event that a member transfers or is retired/membership lapses etc.
NHQ will NOT accept a PA as proof of prior accomplishment. AE- a lt col. with a form 45 full of PA's will be forced to start over as a SM. because he lacks the form 2's
(personal experience)

2) PA's are not mentioned in the regs, but form 2's are.

I think there's more to that situation than you are telling us. It looks like you are possibly referring to SM PD awards.

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 15, 2008, 04:54:30 AMThe easiest thing to do is set up a template of all awards on your computer that can be issued at your level and just imput the individual info when the time comes.

I think this is a common sense issue. It gets a signed piece of paper in the right place(s) to affirm an administrative action. I think you would be hard put to convince admin folks to stop doing this, even though it does violate the letter of the reg. If you feel so strongly about this, why don't you fly it up the chain and see if you can get it clarified or fixed one way or the other. IMHO, it's not a battle worth fighting.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret