Main Menu

CAP and national service

Started by RiverAux, March 30, 2008, 05:55:45 PM

RiverAux

For the last few years there have been schemes floated by various politicians for national service programs of one type or another.  Most seem to include a 2-year stint in the military or in some civilian capacity with existing or newly created governmental programs.  In some such service is a requirement for everybody while others use the national service as an optional incentive to get college scholarships.  Since our military doesn't need anywhere near the number of people that it once did, there is no way everybody would go there (even if the military wanted them in the first place).   

None that I have heard of are really getting off the ground and the liklihood of passage of any of them seems very slim.

But, for the sake of argument, lets assume that some sort of national service requirement gets approved by Congress.  Do you think it would be good for CAP if CAP service was included as one of the optional ways of meeting this obligation?

Now, I'm not asking for someone to bring up all the problems involved in implementing such a program -- I can think of many.  But lets assume here that Congress is willing to fund several part time positions (national service will come at a cost after all) at each CAP unit and perhaps a few dozen at the Wing level.

How would we want to use such folks if we had them?   

arajca

Admin, maint, grant writing and follow-up come to mind initially.

mikeylikey

We can already get Government funded part timers through the work-study program.  Some Wings already "employee" students at their Wing HQ.  

As far as CAP being a National Service opportunity, we do FAR less than what would be required to be considered a national service.  NOW.....if we received 100 million each year, and began flying 100  missions a day in each wing.......

If I had to spend 2 years in National Service, I would pick CAP.  Seriously, 1 day a week, for two years and then I could be eligible for a free student loan from the FED......man!  I would have lived in my Parents basement, ate cheesie-poofs and been a waste for two years, then got my money and gone off to college!  

Maybe, CAP can be a National Service opportunity, but for High-schoolers.  They join the Cadet program and must meet certain requirements (like 90 percent attendance, and 2 weeks of certain training each summer), then their service obligation would be met before they even graduate from high school.

I am all for a national service program in the US!  I think federal student loans are handed out "too freely" to begin with.
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

The caveat would be commitment with minimum expectations, objective performance criteria, and consequences commensurate with whatever reward is offered.

It could be a huge boon to both the cause and the organization, but we can't become a check-box parking lot.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Lets assume, as I had implied, that those choosing to use CAP to fulfill a national service requirement wouldn't be able to do so by just being a normal member.  They would need to be at least part-time, if not full-time employees. 

star1151

Quote from: RiverAux on March 30, 2008, 07:17:14 PM
Lets assume, as I had implied, that those choosing to use CAP to fulfill a national service requirement wouldn't be able to do so by just being a normal member.  They would need to be at least part-time, if not full-time employees. 

I have a hard time believing anyone could make a living working for CAP.  It's one thing to require national service, it's another to make those who do it depend on others to support them.

Eclipse

Quote from: star1151 on March 30, 2008, 07:42:15 PM

I have a hard time believing anyone could make a living working for CAP.  It's one thing to require national service, it's another to make those who do it depend on others to support them.

I believe this would be in lieu of full-time service such as being drafted.  Pick one - BMT or CAP (or other).

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

We're working on the assumption they would be getting paid through the federal government. 

Short Field

My understanding of "National Service" means "ful-time" work - not a meeting a week.   

I don't know if we could survive a large influx of 18-21 year olds working 40 hours a week in each squadron for two years.   ::)   I am sure that after one year of this program, it will not be the CAP I joined!
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

RiverAux

Oh, I think it would have to be pretty limited in CAP.  We just don't have a need for a bunch of part or full-time folks in each squadron. 

The main thing is that while I wouldn't mind having a few full-time folks doing CAP work, I would really want it to be some of the old hands rather than some newbie.  An old hand could be put to good use working with partners in other agencies, planning and conducting training, etc. 

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Eclipse on March 30, 2008, 07:45:08 PM
Quote from: star1151 on March 30, 2008, 07:42:15 PM

I believe this would be in lieu of full-time service such as being drafted.  Pick one - BMT or CAP (or other).

Would have chosen BMT in a heartbeat and twice on thursday. But then again I was already an ROTC cadet with a scholarship when the Air Force cancelled my waiver.

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SAR-EMT1

Well...
Lets think about this for a second:
Cant anyone think of some missions that could be done if given the manpower?

Each sq. could have a daily meeting for cadets, could conduct a daily air patrol  and have a 'ready' ground team. Daily CN missios too.

IF ANYTHING ELSE: VSAF would LOVE these kids. ... maybe...
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student