Main Menu

NEW eServices website!

Started by mynetdude, March 24, 2008, 12:29:21 PM

LtCol Hooligan

Quote from: JC004 on March 24, 2008, 05:12:01 PM
What the crap?  It says "Cadet Promotions - Gen J F Curry   N/A   29 Jun 2004" 

Stupid thing.  Doesn't go well with "Billy Mitchell  01 Aug 2002"   ::)
It might be saying that because that was the date someone entered for your currey achievement back when the current ES rating system came on-line.  I know the dates did not mean much in the past- just that you had passed your airman.  Someone may have just entered a random date in there.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

JC004

yeah...I remember that being added like that, and IIRC, you couldn't date it to the correct date.  They should probably display these differently though.   :(

LtCol Hooligan

That is very true.  I just checked and I see a couple of my cadets having the same problem.  Essentially the date of the curry was the date that someone took the time to enter their stuff into eServices.  Fortunately, it looks like we can change the date in the admin section.  I guess hopefully this will be fixed as we go through and update the cadets records. 

a2capt

I just don't like it. It's "too big", too much wasted space.

Everything is in Mr. Magoo font size. Blech.

the old one was nice and efficient - and they could have accomplished the same thing with the configurable screens without the whole swapping change.

Gotta see if there's an extension for using your own CSS with a particular web site, for Firefox.

I sure hope they don't change all the sub modules to that scheme.

♠SARKID♠

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Tim Medeiros

the only problem with the old versions font-size is that  those who had problems seeing such as our older generation found the font-size entirely too small.  Considering the average age of our senior members is 55, as of the Atlanta NB in 2007, that is alot of people with potential sight problems.  So we adapt our main tool which they use so that they can use it.  It would be nice if they had given us the ability to chose a font-size but I'm sure that will happen in time.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

SarDragon

Regarding type size - I use Internet Exploder, and it allows you to change the text size in two ways: hold down the Control key, and work the wheel on your mouse, or for the technology-challenged folks, click View | Text Size in the menu, and pick one. Both methods work in both flavors of eServices pages.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Gunner C

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 24, 2008, 01:56:22 PM
Quote from: mynetdude on March 24, 2008, 12:29:21 PM
www.capnhq.gov, they got a GREAT facelift going there :) I just logged in and thought it would be down for awhile but they were fast! :).

Thats a facelift.  A fifth grader can do better on a MAC.  Come on.  What a waste of IT time. 

All they did was change color and layout, for the worse. 

So disappointed this morning!   :'(

It wasn't done by IT.  It was done by a CAP member who charged BIG BUCKS for it.  Rumor has it that it was done by the same guy who did the MDWG site.  If so, he did the MER site, too.  He took the MDWG stuff and changed it to MER. My source tells me that he charged between $3000 and $5000 dollars.   Wast/Fraud/Abuse anyone? Any sweetheart deal there? Wonder how much he charged NHQ (read: You) for that?

Here in the West . . . well, we just done put up with that stuff.

GC

mikeylikey

^ Crap, if that is true, then NHQ needs to either get rid of their paid IT staff, or stop farming IT jobs out.  You either have a paid staff (which they do) or you don't.  IF this really is the case, it may be a waste and abuse issue.  I will gladly take $3,000 to change colors and fonts and move stuff around without really adding anything. 

I am shocked.   :o
What's up monkeys?

pixelwonk

Let's weigh in on things we have no idea about.  good times. Yay!

NIN

Yeah, since, you know, all truly "good" web stuff is done by two guys with a copy of Dreamweaver between them and costs around $29.95, right?

There was an old joke a number of years ago about a retired engineer who is brought back by the outfit he retired from the diagnose a problem with a large complex system he had helped to design. After a couple hours of examining the systems and determining the problem he put a big chalk X on the malfunctioning component, which was replaced and the plant returned to its former efficiency.  When presented with his bill for services, the finance people balked.  The bill was for $25,000.  They demanded an itemized accounting of his charges.  To which he returned an invoice that stated "Chalk mark: $1.00  Knowing where to put it: $24,999"

All too often a customer says "I want my site to look and work JUST LIKE THAT ONE THERE!" and so you go out and do the best job you can to replicate the site.  Sounds like in this instance it was made 200% easier by the example site being designed by the same developer.  Everybody wins.

Anybody even bothered to LOOK at MD Wing's site?  Its a well developed website running a fairly well involved content management system.  Its well organized, it reflects a lot of "AF.mil" influences, its probably managed by a team a couple site managers and a system that allows fairly unskilled members to get content published quickly without a bunch of esoteric knowledge.    Gee, might NHQ take some lessons from that, even?

If "Someone™" just replicated that for the MER site: Whats the problem?  You expand on what works.  If that was budgeted and paid, well, then fine. That's their business.  Developing a site (even if its just changing the graphics and color scheme) costs money and takes time.  If you want a mickey-mouse Geocities site that looks like it was put together by Cadet Bagodonuts in his basement between 2000 and 2220 on a Tuesday night, hey, cleared in hot, Airborne.  (Apologies to Cadet Bagodonuts).  But if you want a professional system, built with a professional product, delivering a professional looking result, you're gonna pay professional prices.  Particularly if you want it "yesterday."

Anybody besides Tedd here make his living as a developer?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

LtCol Hooligan

Quote from: NIN on March 26, 2008, 06:27:50 PM

No, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once ;D

JC004

uh hu...and MDWG uses ColdFusion, as a side note.

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on March 26, 2008, 08:06:44 PM

uh hu...and MDWG uses ColdFusion, as a side note.

The only thing you develop are hangovers Sir!   ;D
What's up monkeys?