Main Menu

Looking to join CAP...

Started by disamuel, March 23, 2008, 02:40:29 PM

disamuel

Hello-

I've become interested in joining CAP, and reading all of the postings on CAP Talk has only increased my interest. I've always had an interest in aviation, and I think I may be able to contribute to the organization. When I was younger I accrued about 20 hours of instructional time in a Cessna 152, and I really loved it.

Here is my issue- I'm married, 45 years old, with three children between the ages of 10 and 16, and I don't know that I have enough extra time available to make a contribution. I can certainly do one meeting a week, and can probably fit in an occasional weekend activity, and I could of course respond to any emergency or national disaster, but I don't know if that would meet the membership requirements. I spent 10 years as an EMT during my 20's and I loved be able to contribute, but I would like to know if my time constraints would be too much of an issue with CAP.

If anyone can provide any guidance, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks-

David Samuel

JoeTomasone

Sounds like exactly what would be asked of you in a Squadron.

CASH172

Maybe you should also get your 3 children involved.  That'll just boost your interest more. 

RiverAux

You don't need to devote 20 hours a week to be a productive CAP member.  The best thing is to go visit a local unit and see what they're doing and if what they need will fit with what you're interested in doing.  Talk to as many people as you can while you're there. 

Keep in mind that it may take you longer than "normal" to get qualified in some of the CAP emergency services skills due to your time issues, but that isn't really a problem. 

BlackKnight

Quote from: disamuel on March 23, 2008, 02:40:29 PM
Here is my issue- I'm married, 45 years old, with three children between the ages of 10 and 16, and I don't know that I have enough extra time available to make a contribution. I can certainly do one meeting a week, and can probably fit in an occasional weekend activity, and I could of course respond to any emergency or national disaster, but I don't know if that would meet the membership requirements.

My squadron has about 30 senior officers who are making active and valuable contributions with time constraints similar to yours.  Most can't make every weekly meeting because of business/family commitments, but we're very glad to have them on our roster.  We all have real jobs and families that take precidence. With email and cell phones it's easy to "stay connected" even if you have to miss a few meetings. 
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

RiverAux

You should know that many of CAP's adult members meet only twice a month.  It is the adults working directly with the cadet program who meet weekly.  Well, there may be a senior squadron (what we can a unit for adults) who meets weekly, but I've never heard of it. 

SarDragon

Quote from: RiverAux on March 24, 2008, 03:20:11 AM
You should know that many of CAP's adult members meet only twice a month.  It is the adults working directly with the cadet program who meet weekly.  Well, there may be a senior squadron (what we can a unit for adults) who meets weekly, but I've never heard of it. 

Well, you have now. My Sr. Sq. has met weekly for about the last two years. The first meeting of the month is our "business" meeting, and the other three are varying types of ES training.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mynetdude

Quote from: SarDragon on March 24, 2008, 03:58:49 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on March 24, 2008, 03:20:11 AM

Well, you have now. My Sr. Sq. has met weekly for about the last two years. The first meeting of the month is our "business" meeting, and the other three are varying types of ES training.

My squadron meets every week, both adults and cadets. We have a staff meeting on the fourth Monday of the month usually and we also meet on the 2nd Saturday of each month as well for clean up and fun stuff.

Pylon

Welcome to CAPTalk!   As the comments above echoed, you don't need to be able to dedicate serious tracks of time to Civil Air Patrol in order to be a member.  You sound like a perfect candidate to join a squadron, actually.

Many CAP members find that the time they can give to CAP varies.  Sometimes, I find myself working on CAP for hours upon hours in a week.  Other times, I've gone several weeks without thinking much of CAP.  Sometimes people take breaks from CAP and devote extra time when they have it.  Some people come to meetings every week, attend weekend activities and go to week-long trainings or activities during the summer; while others contribute from home or at an occasional meeting once or twice a month. 

Your level of involvement will depend largely on the time you are willing to give to CAP, the needs of the unit, and the duty position and ratings you ultimately pursue.  Also be prepared for some up-front training to get out of the way.

As was also said above, definitely take a look at the unit or units in your area.  Also get a feel (preferably before you go into the unit) of what areas in CAP interest you.  Do you want to do Ground SAR?  Become an aircrew member?  Work with cadets?  Help keep the squadron's books?  Educate people about aviation and aerospace?  Work in Logistics?

Many squadrons could use help in a wide variety of areas.  It's helpful to match your interests to what the squadron commander feels he or she needs the most help with.  Certainly, each unit will want to make your volunteer experience valuable and rewarding to you and should help find you a fitting duty within the unit.

Good luck and please, by all means, ask questions here!  That's what we're here for.  Welcome, again!   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

disamuel

Okay, thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it.

I sent an e-mail to the local squadron Captain expressing my interest, and I am waiting to hear back from him. Hopefully I will be able to attend a meeting later this week.

If it's okay I'll post my experience here after the first meeting.

Thanks again for your help. I look forward to joining!

disamuel

Okay, I just wanted to post a follow up to my previous message. I went to a meeting on Tuesday night, and I found both the Squadron Commander, and the Deputy Commander to very helpful and welcoming. I sat through the meeting (which was mostly a PT night for the cadets), and found all of the Senior members helpful and informative. I think I'll attend another meeting and then decide whether or not to join.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Flying Pig

Quote from: disamuel on March 23, 2008, 02:40:29 PM
Hello-

I've become interested in joining CAP, and reading all of the postings on CAP Talk has only increased my interest. I've always had an interest in aviation, and I think I may be able to contribute to the organization. When I was younger I accrued about 20 hours of instructional time in a Cessna 152, and I really loved it.

Here is my issue- I'm married, 45 years old, with three children between the ages of 10 and 16, and I don't know that I have enough extra time available to make a contribution. I can certainly do one meeting a week, and can probably fit in an occasional weekend activity, and I could of course respond to any emergency or national disaster, but I don't know if that would meet the membership requirements. I spent 10 years as an EMT during my 20's and I loved be able to contribute, but I would like to know if my time constraints would be too much of an issue with CAP.

If anyone can provide any guidance, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks-

David Samuel

I think you just described 95% of the Senior Membership! ;D  I am Sq. Commander and I dont even get to make the weekly meetings because of my work schedule.  Although I had to increase my cell phone plan and I'd be dead without high speed internet.   I attend the one Saturday per month meetings the unit has for the Seniors.  Participate as you can, let everyone know your availability and just have fun with it.  I have appointed a Sq. Emergency Services Officer who is very experienced and got the thumbs up from every member in the unit.  He and I have conflicting work schedules and opposite days off.  I talk to him on the phone and over email.  Funny thing is.....he and I have never actually met.  Not the best scenario, but we make it work for now.  I say join up, give it a year as a member.  Make an effort to get involved, then decide at the end of the year if you want to renew.  If you loved being an EMT, I would say you probably have a good disposition for CAP.  Get your kids to join.  They DO NOT have to have any desire at all to join the military.  Then it becomes a family deal.  You don't feel guilty about ditching the kids, the wife loves it because you take the kids one night per week so she can go......ummmmm, clean the house without distractions!  Yeah, thats  it!