Historical Ribbon Document

Started by jimmydeanno, March 15, 2008, 10:19:38 PM

jimmydeanno

In my pile 'o' goodies, I have run across this undated document explaining historical CAP ribbons.  My assumption is that it is from the 1940s because it is on the same type of paper and has the same patina as the other documents from that era.

If anyone may know what these pages may have come from, I'd be interested because the document says "Attachment e."  So I am curious what a-d may be.

I have attached a scan of the document as well as the "visual aids" that show what the ribbons look like.  Enjoy.

DOCUMENT TEXT:
--------------------------------------------
1. Blue Cadet Merit Ribbon - This ribbon is awarded to cadet members who distinguish themselves, (1) by exceptionally meritorious service to the cadet program, or (2) by extraordinary acts of heroism under unusually hazardous conditions.

2. White Cadet Merit Ribbon - This ribbon is awarded to cadet members who attain a final grade of 90 percent or higher on the prescribed instruction comprising the Secondary Training of the CAP Cadet Training Program.

3. Red Cadet Merit Ribbon - This ribbon is awarded to cadet members who attain a final grade of 90 percent or higher on the prescribed instruction comprising the Basic Training of the CAP Cadet Training Program.

Note - Cadet Merit Ribbons: The award of the White Cadet Merit Ribbon will automatically supersede the Red Cadet Merit Ribbon.  Only one of these ribbons will be worn at any one time.  The Blue Cadet Merit Ribbon, if awarded, may be worn in addition to the White or the Red.

4. Blue Service Ribbon - This ribbon is awarded to senior members who have performed a total of at least 2,000 hours of honorable volunteer service in the Civil Air Patrol program, and who have been members of the Civil Air Patrol in good standing for at least four years.

5. White Service Ribbon - This ribbon is awarded to senior members who have performed a total of at least 1,000 hours of honorable volunteer service in the Civil Air Patrol program, and who have been members of the Civil Air Patrol in good standing for at least four years.

6. Red Service Ribbon - This ribbon is awarded to senior members who have performed a total of at least 500 hours of honorable volunteer service in the Civil Air Patrol program, and who have been members of the Civil Air Patrol in good standing for at least two years.

Note - Senior Service Ribbons: The award of a White Service Ribbon will automatically supersede the Red Service Ribbon and the award of a Blue Service Ribbon will automatically supersede the White Service Ribbon.  Only the highest Service Ribbon authorized will be worn at any one time.

One, two, or all three of the following three ribbons may be worn by Senior Members.  The award of any one does not supersede any other.

7. Distinguished Service Award - This decoration is awarded to senior members who distinguish themselves, (1) by exceptionally meritorious service in a duty of great responsibility which has contributed in a high degree to the successful accomplishment of the mission of the Civil Air Patrol, or (2) by extraordinary acts of heroism under unusually hazardous conditions.

8. Exceptional Service Award - This decoration is awarded to senior members who distinguish themselves by exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding service.  Such service must be clearly exceptional.  A superior performance of the normal duties of a position will not alone justify the award.

9. Meritorious Service Award - This decoration is awarded to senior members who distinguish themselves by particularly meritorious accomplishments which are outstanding.  The required service or accomplishment is less than that required for the Exceptional Service Award but must, nevertheless, be accomplished with distinction.

Attachment e
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MajorSER

This brought back a lot of memories.  Thank you.

Please change Blue Service Ribbon to read 2000.

Thanks again.
Lt. Col. David Crockwell MLO
FC 07-09-08
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Я был там как солдатом

jimmydeanno

Quote from: MajorSER on March 15, 2008, 11:23:07 PM
This brought back a lot of memories.  Thank you.

Please change Blue Service Ribbon to read 2000.

Thanks again.

So corrected - I've been typing these things all day :)

Sir,

You mention that it brought back a lot of memories, could you expound on those at all?  Do you recall when this ribbon line-up was instituted or what document this may have come out of?  Do you know if there was more than are being listed here at the time?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eagle400

Now we know how the Red Service Ribbon got its name!   

baronet68

WIWAC in the 1980's, we had dozens of those Red, White, and Blue (plastic coated) merit ribbons floating around in our supply room, but no one could remember what they were for.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Major Carrales

Back at Civil Air Portal I underwent a sort of project that resulted in at CAP Uniform history.  The fruits of that labor are in the Cadet Stuff Wiki.  As for ribbons, I wrote a song about it.  Wanna hear it...here it goes!!!

The CAP Ribbons of the First Generation

1) Air Medal: 824 Issued to CAP Coastal Patrol Aircrews for services during WWII (awarded 1942-1945) 2) Green Service Ribbon 250 Hours (Jan 1944) 3) Red Service Ribbon 500 Hours (1944) 4) Blue Service Ribbon 1000 Hours (Jan 1994) Note: Hours of Service: Jan 1944-Aug 1949 include all hours spent on Civil Air Patrol work; not just flying hours. Only highest award could be worn.

1) Red Cadet Training Ribbon: Complete Achievement One of Phase II 2) Red Cadet Training Ribbon: Bronze clasp for completion of Achievement Two 3) White Cadet Training Ribbon: Complete Achievement Three of Phase II 4) White Cadet Training Ribbon: Bronze clasp for completion of Achievement Four 5) Blue Cadet Training Ribbon: Complete Achievement Five of Phase II 6) Blue Cadet Training Ribbon: Bronze clasp for completion of Achievement Six.

1) Distinguished Service Medal (1949) 2) Exceptional Service Award (1949) 3) Meritorious Service Award (1949)

1) Red Service (1949) 2) White Service: 1000 hrs - 4 Years (1949 version) 3) Blue Service: 2000 hrs - 6 Years (1949 version)

1) Certificate of Proficiency (1954) 2) Certificate of Proficiency, Alternate Design (1954) 3) Certificate of Proficiency: Awarded for earning the Certificate of Proficiency. Additional bronze clasp are awarded for completion of Achievements Seven, Eight and Nine of Phase III.

1) Search and Rescue (1956) 2) IACE (1956) 3) Encampment (1954) 4) International Drill Competition (1956)

1) Antisubmarine Coastal Patrol (1942) 2) Southern Liaison Patrol (1942) 3) Tow-Target and Tracking (1942) 4) Courier Service (1942) 5) Forest Patrol (1942) 6) Missing Aircraft Search (1942)
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

jimmydeanno

Maj Carrales,

There appears to be a discrepancy between the document that I posted and the information that you did.

Specifically in the "Service Ribbon" section.  My document doesn't make reference to a "Green Service Ribbon" and there doesn't appear to be a "White Service Ribbon" in your information.  Also, the requirements are different for them...

Last observation is that the ribbons you posted for the "First Generation Service Ribbons" don't match the color scheme in my document.

Major Carrales

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 19, 2008, 02:16:55 PM
Specifically in the "Service Ribbon" section.  My document doesn't make reference to a "Green Service Ribbon" and there doesn't appear to be a "White Service Ribbon" in your information.  Also, the requirements are different for them...

As I have been led to understand it, these were originally Civil Defense Award concepts that carried over into CAP from its Officer of Civilian Defense Days.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

jimmydeanno

The document I have posted are concepts or the ones that you do?

baronet68

1) Red Cadet Training Ribbon: Complete Achievement One of Phase II 2) Red Cadet Training Ribbon: Bronze clasp for completion of Achievement Two 3) White Cadet Training Ribbon: Complete Achievement Three of Phase II 4) White Cadet Training Ribbon: Bronze clasp for completion of Achievement Four 5) Blue Cadet Training Ribbon: Complete Achievement Five of Phase II 6) Blue Cadet Training Ribbon: Bronze clasp for completion of Achievement Six.

1) Certificate of Proficiency (1954) 2) Certificate of Proficiency, Alternate Design (1954) 3) Certificate of Proficiency: Awarded for earning the Certificate of Proficiency. Additional bronze clasp are awarded for completion of Achievements Seven, Eight and Nine of Phase III.

People complain how cadets get a ribbon for completing every achievement (up to the Mitchell), but it looks like CAP cadets have been rewarded like that since the beginning.  According to the above, Achievements 1 through 9 all rated either a different ribbon or clasp(s).

Time to update my rackbuilder.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Major Carrales

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 19, 2008, 06:03:13 PM
The document I have posted are concepts or the ones that you do?

The idea of red, white and blue service is from Civil Defense. Air Raid wardens et all were given such ribbons for hours of service.  CAP was part of that at the start and the red service ribbon is all that remains of that.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

CAP_truth

I still have my red, white, blue and COP cadet ribbons. Also have my encampment ribbon, cadet recruiters, ribbon, CAC ribbon, andspecial activity ribbon.
Cadet CoP
Wilson