Clarifying Professional Development Requirements

Started by Hawk200, March 11, 2008, 06:49:30 PM

Should Command or Staff requirements be included as mandatory in CAPR 50-17?

Yes, they should be included in 50-17.
No, on the Form 24 is fine.

Hawk200

After reading some of the posts concerning Professional Develepment, started digging in to the reg and the Form 24, and noticed a couple of things.

Presently, 50-17 doesn't state that a Command or Staff assignment is required. On the Form 24 (APPLICATION FOR SENIOR MEMBER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AWARDS), there is a line for "Command or Staff Assignment" along with entry lines for dates. This implies that such assignments are needed for completion of those levels, but the reg does not specifically require them.

Since it is not specifically stated that command or staff assignments are needed, should we include that requirement in 50-17?

Considering how many seniors end up wearing multiple hats in a unit, it's not as if a staff assignment would never be available to any member. Even assistant staff positions would be qualifying, as long as the member is actively participating.

With the addition of such a requirement, up the requirement for each level. For Level 2, a year. For Level 3, two years. For Level 4, maybe four. For Level 5, maybe  six years or so. It would mandate continued participation with a unit. For the higher levels, such as 4 and 5, require coordination with a higher level unit, such as a group or wing but not necessarily assignment to those higher levels.

This would also give some of those higher ranks some more weight, someone wouldn't outrank you because they just went to a few more schools.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 11, 2008, 06:49:30 PM
Presently, 50-17 doesn't state that a Command or Staff assignment is required.

Quote from: CAPR 50-17
5-1. Management.
CAP designed professional development at this level for senior members serving as squadron, group, or wing commanders
and for staff officers. Criteria for completion of this level include:
b. One year of experience in a command or staff position.

6-1. Command and Staff.
CAP designed this level for members who desire to become high-level leaders in CAP. Criteria for completion of this level include:
e. Occupy a command or staff position for a total of 2 years of service to CAP.

7-1. Executive.
This is the highest level of CAP career development and is for those officers performing duty as commanders or staff
officers. As such, only the most dedicated senior members achieve this level. To complete this level, members must:
b. Perform in a command or staff position for a total of 3 years of service to CAP.

Where doesn't it say that they are required?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Hawk200

I guess I just breezed right past those. Guess it's time to edit the poll.

I did note that there isn't a requirement for Level 2 to have the command experience.

On second thought, I'll put a different one in another thread. This one isn't useful, I put up wrong info in the first place.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 11, 2008, 07:12:22 PM
I did note that there isn't a requirement for Level 2 to have the command experience.

I don't think if it would be appropriate to require a staff position or command position for level II.  Level II is supposed to be Technical Training and the member is essentially focused on earning a specialty track rating - kind of like going to tech school after basic training (level I).

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

davedove

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 11, 2008, 07:12:22 PM

While it doesn't state that there is a time requirement for Level II, you are required to obtain a Technician rating.  Each Technician rating has a time requirement, the shortest being 4 months, I believe.

Now, my gripe would be the differing time requirements for each specialty, but that's another topic.

My thought is that the time in grade requirements keep someone from promoting too fast.  Again, whether those are sufficient is another topic.

As far as completing the PD levels, why not let people complete them as quickly as they can.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Hawk200