Required cadet uniforms????

Started by capchiro, September 29, 2005, 09:08:41 PM

abysmal

It would seem that my squadron suffers from just the opposite problem with uniforms.
Getting the cadets into BDUs is a SNAP!
They all want to wear them and are happy to go out and buy them.
But getting them all into the proper set of Blues is a HUGE challenge!
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

Pylon

Quote from: abysmal on December 13, 2005, 10:37:25 PM
It would seem that my squadron suffers from just the opposite problem with uniforms.
Getting the cadets into BDUs is a SNAP!
They all want to wear them and are happy to go out and buy them.
But getting them all into the proper set of Blues is a HUGE challenge!

Perhaps try what our squadron does to ensure they have a complete and correct blues uniform:

Since the cadets get the clothing itself from the FCU, we just worry about insignia.  Since it's rather daunting to send a newbie off into CAPMart or the Hock to buy all the right things, we do it for them.  The squadron orders all the basic items a new cadet will need (blues nameplate, BDUs nametape, CAP cutouts, wing patches, flight cap cookie, etc.).  We've totalled the cost up and included it in the cost for the cadet to join the unit.  When they join and give us the check, we order all their junk and present it as soon as it arrives.  This way, we can give them the insignia and show them how to properly wear it on their new, USAF-funded blues uniform.

It's worked so far, and nobody complains that we're charging for it since it's explained that they'd need to shell the same amount (if not more) out anyways.  We're just doing the gruntwork for them.  :)

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abysmal

HEY THERE!
Now thats a great idea.

What is the cost you are charging your newbies for this??

Pylon

Quote from: abysmal on December 14, 2005, 04:17:06 PM
HEY THERE!
Now thats a great idea.

What is the cost you are charging your newbies for this??

It's about $20-$25.  I forget the exact amount, off the top of my head.  It saves everyone a bit of headache, and doesn't cost anybody more than they would be spending anyways.

I think our cost will be going up $1, to include a reversed American flag patch for the BDUs as well.  Might as well get them issued right from the start.

It's pretty simple really.  When someone goes to join, you simply state it costs: $31 to NHQ (or whatever your Wing is) for new cadet membership fee, and a $25 (or whatever you determine it to be) insignia/supply fee to cover their initial set of uniform accessories.  You inform them that a free blues uniform comes in the mail, and when it does, you'll have their insignia all ready. 

Therefore, the first time they wear their blues, they ought to be in complete uniform and any placement issues can be addressed on the first day!  No chance to slip into habitual errors.  :)

abysmal

How are you pulling down shoes at that cost?

Pylon

Quote from: abysmal on December 14, 2005, 04:49:57 PM
How are you pulling down shoes at that cost?

Oh, sorry... shoes we don't do.  We just do all the confusing stuff, like insignia (pins, nameplates, etc), and accessories (belt for BDUs, BDU patrol cap, etc.).  Outside of insignia and accessories, the cadets need to pick up their undershirts and shoes/boots private purchase unless we have some in-stock (rare).

Although, I figure there's very little someone can mess up buying a pair of plain black dress shoes, or plain black boots.  Since shoes and boots can vary considerably in quality, cost, and size -- it would be difficult for the squadron to try and obtain them for each cadet.  It's better for the cadets to shop themselves, try on different pairs, and buy one in their cost range.

As for the insignia however, it's all the same size and all the same cost.  We just take the difficulty out of figuring out where they need to go, and what they need to get from some online shop they've never been to.  Sending new cadets off into The Hock, however, might see them come back with magenta shouldercords and Senior member nameplates, grade insignia for C/CMSgt, and the wrong Wing patch.  ;)

abysmal

Pylon

Quote from: abysmal on December 14, 2005, 06:39:36 PM
Gotcha.
Thanks!

To be complete, this is generally what we buy a new cadet:

For Blues:
  • Cadet Enlisted Flight Cap Device ("Cookie")
  • CAP Blue 3-line nameplate

For BDUs:
  • BDU Patrol Cap
  • Blue Civil Air Patrol "branch" strip
  • Blue name strip
  • Reverse American Flag patch
  • Blue web belt with subdued buckle

For Both:
  • 1 Set of metal CAP cutouts
  • 2 Wing patches

We generally have a number of BDUs in stock from local ANG surplus, and we try and issue each cadet with BDU blouses & pants from squadron supply.

The squadron also stocks a number of long-sleeved blues shirts in our supply stock (coming from that surplus from the local Air National Guard base).  If a cadet wants a long-sleeved shirt (and because of our very cold winters, we recommend it), we'll loan them the uniform for the duration of their membership and sell them the necessary tie, tie tack, and additional wing patch for an additional small fee.

We don't mark up the cost at all, and the squadron does not profit off this.  We simply order what the cadet needs, at minimum, and pass the cost right on to them.  If they want additional sets of items or further accessories & gear, we direct them to the online stores to make personal purchases.

md132

In my squadron we would furnish the first set of required insignias and patches free of charge.  And if they need additional insignias and patches we would let them know where to go.  For example, when I get a new ribbon for my uniforms, either in CAP or SDF, I would donate my old ribbon mounts to my squadron. Also when a cadet or senior leaves whether it's on his/her own or if they are PCS, they would donate all their uniforms and uniform items to the squadron.  We don't require it.

We do get alot of donations for BDU's since we are on an Army base and the Army BDU's are slowly being phased out.  We also have a Thrift Shop that usually has BDU's and Blues.  What I would also do if I have to I would get the uniforms for MCSS or have them shipped and would get reimbursed for the exact amout of the uniform item. 

abysmal

I have just submitted a request for change to our squadron SOP requesting that we supply 100% of the uniform components for new cadets (less footwear) with an optional sheet for the full BDU if the new cadet so chooses.

Will see what the new commander says...