Required cadet uniforms????

Started by capchiro, September 29, 2005, 09:08:41 PM

capchiro

Good evening one and all...I have read many messages on this board about uniforms, BDU's and polished boots.  Many opinions and thoughts on the matter.  Is everyone aware that according CAPM 39-1, a cadet is only required to have a basic uniform, which is the blue shirt and pants, etc., supplied by the Air Force (when available).  Any other uniform is not required for any CAP activities unless it is supplied to the cadet (read, as in free) or it's purchase is voluntary (as in, optional).  Somehow this makes the requirement for BDU's optional and not a requirement unless your unit is supplying them.  This also throws a monkey wrench into the requirements of anything other than the basic uniform for encampments, etc.  Are most units supplying (as in, giving for free) BDU's to their cadets?  If so, where do you get your BDU's for issue?  Sometimes we talk about not being military enough or being too military, however, if one looks at the regulations, it would appear that the Air Force and/or CAP are not terribly interested in our cadets dressing in battle dress....Wow, I can feel the heat, but I think this is a good topic and place for this discussion.  Respectfully....
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

MIKE

I think most of us are aware of this... I know I am... I think it comes down to what uniform is seen as more practical for the particular activity, and that is the argument you will most often see.  I think that for most regular meeting type activities you could wear short sleeve service uniforms without much difficulty...  The week to week Cadet Programs type activities... I think that was the intent anyway.

What actually happens in units can be quite different... I recall another senior member officer who stated "You can't do anything in blues."  I have seen many cases where the BDU was more or less the standard uniform for nearly every meeting and activity, because the service uniform is just not seen as appropriate... Yet sometimes it gets to the point where the BDU is treated more as a "dress" uniform than as a utility uniform, and is so starched, pressed, shined and modified so that it "looks sharp" that one wouldn't dare wear it in the field as it might get dirty or wrinkled.

I don't know of a single encampment that doesn't require the BDU or CAPDFU.   My wing requires a minimum of two complete sets, yet only one complete short sleeved service uniform.
Mike Johnston

capchiro

I heartily agree, however, that doesn't address the problem/question?  Is it not a violation of CAP regulations for Wing to require BDU's for encampments?  I can understand the desire to wear BDU's when on an ES mission or training, but that brings up another question.  Is ES really a cadet function?  Does the Air Force/CAP really want cadets on ES missions?  There aren't too many functions that a cadet can legally do on an ES mission that they couldn't wear the basic Air Force uniform for.  I am thinking of flight line marshalling, radio operator, etc.  Most commanders have a problem with cadets being too close to actual crash sites.  I know that the cadets want to wear BDU's and want to do ES.  I also know some cadets that think they are young marine commandos.  While perhaps admirable, that is not what the CAP program is all about.  Maybe it's time to rethink the program and change the regulations.  There is nothing in the regs about weekend FTX's (camping in the woods), but the cadets love it.  Are we shortchanging the educational/technical training part of the program by not focusing on aviation and technology instead of boot camp activities?  And does it not demonstrate poor leadership for a Wing commander to violate CAP regs by requiring BDU's without making it voluntary or providing same?  These are a few of the thoughts that run through a seasoned and senior (and I mean senior as in old) member's mind.....       
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

MIKE

Quote from: capchiro on September 30, 2005, 02:40:51 AM
I heartily agree, however, that doesn't address the problem/question?  Is it not a violation of CAP regulations for Wing to require BDU's for encampments?

Not sure I can make a violation call on that one colonel, but here is the relevant cite:

Quote from: CAPM 39-11-5. Uniform Combinations. Various combinations of CAP uniforms are authorized in order to allow
for various climatic conditions, availability of uniforms, etc., but no member is obligated to equip
himself/herself with all or even a major part of the combinations described in this publication. Members
will equip themselves with the basic uniform. The minimum basic uniforms for male and female cadets
and senior members, which will satisfy most occasions, are listed below. Members may obtain and wear
the additional uniform items authorized in this publication on an optional basis. Uniform clothing may
be altered to improve fit. However, alterations must not change the intended appearance of garment as
designed. It is the member's personal responsibility to equip himself/herself with a proper uniform.
Commanders may assist if they have the capability, through use of unit funds and/or donations or by
acquiring surplus uniforms. Cadets are required to have the minimum basic uniform. A commander
may require cadets to wear other optional uniform items only if the purchase is voluntary or if the
uniform is supplied without expense to the cadet.
The omission of a specific item or appearance standard
does not automatically permit its wear.

Emphasis mine.

The reason I'm not comfortable calling a foul on this one is in terms of optional versus mandatory in terms of the activity.  If the activity is optional, then it's your option to procure the required uniform if you want to participate.  If a commander is saying that a uniform other than the minimum required by the manual is required for a mandatory event, then it must conform to the standards shown above and be issued free of charge or be purchased voluntarily, but that could be reaching a bit... I dunno.

I can understand the desire to wear BDU's when on an ES mission or training, but that brings up another question.  Is ES really a cadet function?

I think that maybe we are overemphasizing ES on the cadet side... Sometimes I think it's becoming in integral part of the cadet program... And I don't think that was the intent originally... You'll get different points of view on this for sure... I did a lot of ES as a cadet myself, and it has it's good points and bad points in terms of its effect... Mostly I think integrating it with the cadet program is a bad idea though.

Does the Air Force/CAP really want cadets on ES missions?  There aren't too many functions that a cadet can legally do on an ES mission that they couldn't wear the basic Air Force uniform for.  I am thinking of flight line marshalling, radio operator, etc.  Most commanders have a problem with cadets being too close to actual crash sites.  I know that the cadets want to wear BDU's and want to do ES.

The trends lately do seem to indicate to me at least, that cadets in general are more and more often being seen as a liability it terms of ES operations.  You must, be 16 or 18 etc.  But there are many more ES tasks that cadets can currently be qualified to perform than you note here... Whether or not this should continue with current trends is the real issue.

I also know some cadets that think they are young marine commandos.  While perhaps admirable, that is not what the CAP program is all about.  Maybe it's time to rethink the program and change the regulations.  There is nothing in the regs about weekend FTX's (camping in the woods), but the cadets love it.  Are we shortchanging the educational/technical training part of the program by not focusing on aviation and technology instead of boot camp activities?  And does it not demonstrate poor leadership for a Wing commander to violate CAP regs by requiring BDU's without making it voluntary or providing same?  These are a few of the thoughts that run through a seasoned and senior (and I mean senior as in old) member's mind.....       

IMO... Cadets need to be focused on the cadet program and not ES... The majority of cadet activities should be aimed at achieving the goals of the cadet program... I think we have over sold ES to a lot of cadets, and there are a lot of cadets who are the Rescue Ranger type, who only want to do ES and thats the only real reason they are in CAP.  IMO this is bad for the cadet program as a whole.
Mike Johnston

capchiro

Mike, I agree with you...that said, I don't think summer encampment can be considered to be an optional activity since it is required to obtain the Mitchell Award.  Ergo, since it is a required activity, to progress in the program, how can a Wing Commander require the wearing of a uniform (BDU's) that either aren't supplied or are not voluntarily purchased as they are required?  I will share the fact that when I attended encampment (in the dark ages) at Chanute Air Force Base, the only uniforms we were required to have and wore were the khaki uniform and PT uniform.  The emphasis on the program then was flying, aviation maintenance and classes involving ground school for flying.  We never went hiking or camping or trained in any emergency services.  We still enjoyed it and felt like we were preparing ourselves for a future in aviation or the military.  But, I digress, I still feel uncomfortable with the regulations and requiring cadets to wear uniforms in violation of same...Still a diliema...
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

MIKE

Quote from: capchiro on September 30, 2005, 12:05:43 PM
Mike, I agree with you...that said, I don't think summer encampment can be considered to be an optional activity since it is required to obtain the Mitchell Award.  Ergo, since it is a required activity, to progress in the program, how can a Wing Commander require the wearing of a uniform (BDU's) that either aren't supplied or are not voluntarily purchased as they are required?

A requirement for an award that according to information I received today at SLS... 83% of all cadets do not reach.   Really puts it into prospective I think.

I'm not one of those guys that subscribes to the idea that the cadet program is meant to be completed by the even the majority of cadets... I don't think everyone should get Spaatz or even Mitchell.  Even if they technically could...  IMO you can get a lot out of the program in phase I and II without an ecampment... But I agree that every cadet should be encouraged to attend an encampment early and not wait until the end of phase II and complete an encampment because it is required to complete the phase, (Like I did.) but rather for the other benefits.

Quote from: capchiro on September 30, 2005, 12:05:43 PM
I will share the fact that when I attended encampment (in the dark ages) at Chanute Air Force Base, the only uniforms we were required to have and wore were the khaki uniform and PT uniform.  The emphasis on the program then was flying, aviation maintenance and classes involving ground school for flying.  We never went hiking or camping or trained in any emergency services.  We still enjoyed it and felt like we were preparing ourselves for a future in aviation or the military.  But, I digress, I still feel uncomfortable with the regulations and requiring cadets to wear uniforms in violation of same...Still a diliema...

Khakis are cool... I wish we still had a modern version to wear... Was in short sleeved service uniform all day today (and all day tommorrow).... And I don't think this uniform would survive a week at encampments I have been at.  Khakis might have, but not my poly/wool service uniform.  Felt good to get out of that monkey suit.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

It's too late - or early - to look this up to provide a quote and paragraph, but my
understanding is that Wing commanders and Unit CC's have the authority to
dictate the uniform of the day, including optoinal items.

Since attendance of encampments is not required, they are optional activities, I don't see the problem with this.

Sure an encampment is required for Mitchell, but progression through Mitchell is not a requirement (though yes, at some point a non progression could trigger a termination).

I doubt however, you'd get too many parents, concerned about saving the BDU cost,
who would be happy about their kid running a confidence course, doing PT, or mannig battlestations in their blues, only to have their shoes, etc., ruined.

Not, expecially these days w/ eBay.  The changes to all the uniforms is making woddland stuff real cheap.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2005, 07:59:26 AM
It's too late - or early - to look this up to provide a quote and paragraph, but my
understanding is that Wing commanders and Unit CC's have the authority to
dictate the uniform of the day, including optoinal items.

Quote from: CAPM 39-11-5. Uniform Combinations. Various combinations of CAP uniforms are authorized in order to allow
for various climatic conditions, availability of uniforms, etc., but no member is obligated to equip
himself/herself with all or even a major part of the combinations described in this publication. Members
will equip themselves with the basic uniform. The minimum basic uniforms for male and female cadets
and senior members, which will satisfy most occasions, are listed below. Members may obtain and wear
the additional uniform items authorized in this publication on an optional basis. Uniform clothing may
be altered to improve fit. However, alterations must not change the intended appearance of garment as
designed. It is the member's personal responsibility to equip himself/herself with a proper uniform.
Commanders may assist if they have the capability, through use of unit funds and/or donations or by
acquiring surplus uniforms. Cadets are required to have the minimum basic uniform. A commander
may require cadets to wear other optional uniform items only if the purchase is voluntary or if the
uniform is supplied without expense to the cadet.
The omission of a specific item or appearance standard
does not automatically permit its wear.

Emphasis added.

Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2005, 07:59:26 AM
Since attendance of encampments is not required, they are optional activities, I don't see the problem with this.

Sure an encampment is required for Mitchell, but progression through Mitchell is not a requirement (though yes, at some point a non progression could trigger a termination).

Agreed.
Mike Johnston

capchiro

Gentlemen, I beg to differ with you, although not all cadets attend encampments and according to your theory, it is not a requirement for any specific cadet, it is a requirement of the cadet program to progress successfully. Since it is a requirement, not an elective, in the completion of the program, it is incorrect, according to the uniform manual, to require cadets to wear BDU's at encampments, unless the wear is voluntary or the uniform is provided at no cost to the cadet.  The Air Force could rectify this by issuing BDU's to new cadets (instead of selling them cheaply to independent contractors).  I don't see how your argument can be successful when the uniform manual says one thing and the encampment commanders require something in violation to the manual.  To go one step farther, how many squadrons require BDU wear to squadron meetings during the month?  This is also a violation of the uniform manual.  What think ye?
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

footballrun21

Encampment is optional unless you are going for the Mitchell award.  It is not required if you just want to be in CAP.  Also, the packing lists for encampments say that in order to 1.)pass inspection and 2.)to even attend, you need 2 stets of BDUs.  As for weekly meetings, you don't need BDUs, but when everyone else has them and you need them for other activities, people buy them themselves.  I've never met a cadet who didn't want or have a set of BDUs.

Also, as far as cadets making their BDUs look really great (starched/pressed/etc.) they do it for just that.  Looking good.  Most of the time you get inspected while in BDUs, since it is worn more than once a month like Blues.  Even vets will tell you that you need one uniform for inspection and when you're out doing recreiting, etc. and prefably two seperate niforms for the field.  This has always worked for me.
QuoteTo go one step farther, how many squadrons require BDU wear to squadron meetings during the month?
My squadron requires us to wear BDUs about three times a month (minus a week if we are doing PT).  The first week of the month we wear blues for testing and promotion.
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing

Chris Jacobs

I love my BDUs and all my other uniforms.  i am proud to wear them and would find a way to wear them wether i had the money or not.  even if my squadron didn't have uniforms to issue i would find a way for my self to get a pair for the meetings.  i know that my cadets are the same way.  it wouldn't matter if they were required or not we would all be wearing them any ways.  on top of that our squadron has a great supply for our cadets and there would be no reason for them to not have a set.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

capchiro

The point is, is that at some point in a cadet's progression, it is required to attend a basic encampment that requires BDU's, which is in violation of CAPM39-1.  Also, if your squadron requires cadets to wear BDU's to weekly meetings, they are in violation of CAPM-391, unless it is voluntary(as in not required), or the squadron furnishes the BDU's to the cadets free of charge.  This brings up the question about the proposed changes to the cadet program wherein it says that a cadet must have and properly wear a CAP uniform prior to being promoted to Curry rank.  I would take it that this means the Air Force blue uniform as that is the only required cadet uniform.  What happens when the Air Force either waits six months to send the uniform or doesn't issue one, as has happened in the past, when they have run out of funds? Does this mean the cadet is expected to purchase a blue uniform out of his own funds, if the squadron doesn't have any?  The blue uniform isn't cheap, even at the BX.     
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Twolf

One of the questions that has not been asked is where do you get BDUs to give to the cadets for free. Every state has a National Guard. The National Guard is made up of two organizations. 1) The Army National Guard and 2) the Air National Guard. As the states go through uniforms they send them to a place called DRMO(from my understanding - don't ask me what that stands for) and then DRMO either sells them or destorys them to make rags. The easiest thing to do is contact your state's Adjutant General - he or she is the General incharge of the entire state's National Guard for both Army and Air. The TAG's office can figure out a way to give the uniforms to CAP in leiu of destorying them. I know my state USED to do this. You could try this at the sq level, but I'd recommend that you do this at the Wing level. The other thing you could do is contact your local (or nearest) Army or Air National Guard unit. You could talk to their Supply NCO and see if you can work out a deal through them directly. You should act fast on this because of my next paragraph.
     If you didn't know the Army is going to a new uniform, the ACU (Army Combat Uniform/Advanced Combat Uniform). The current policy is for soldiers to just throw out their old uniforms as they get the new uniforms or DX unserviceable uniforms (also uniforms that just don't fit any more). If you contact your local unit you could see if they'll collect all old uniforms (rather then telling the soldiers to destroy them) and donate them to CAP. Not only will you get a bunch of uniforms, but you'll get a crap load of field jackets as well - and possibly the Gortex Jackets/pants too. Being in the National Guard and CAP, I've already made a deal with one of my units and I'm working on several others as well. With the change to new uniforms in the Army (and Air Force soon) there is a great opportunity to get enough uniforms to last a virtual lifetime. You could also contact local Reserve units (Army or Air Force) to see if they'll do the same thing, but I don't know their policy on old uniforms - I'd imagine that it's the same.

Hope this makes some sense.
[RANK] Smith
Grand Rapids "Iron Rangers" MN-010

&

SGT Smith
Minnesota Army National Guard
Recruiting & Retention NCO

MIKE

Quote from: Twolf on November 22, 2005, 06:01:04 PMAs the states go through uniforms they send them to a place called DRMO(from my understanding - don't ask me what that stands for)

Defense Reutilization Marketing Office  :)

Quote from: Twolf on November 22, 2005, 06:01:04 PMThe TAG's office can figure out a way to give the uniforms to CAP in leiu of destorying them.

If they consider the uniforms to be unserviceable enough to warrant destruction as opposed to reuse, we probably don't want them anyway.

Quote from: Twolf on November 22, 2005, 06:01:04 PMWith the change to new uniforms in the Army (and Air Force soon) there is a great opportunity to get enough uniforms to last a virtual lifetime.

Ask anyone around in the early '90s when we switched from pickle suits and jungle greens to BDUs about the uniform availability then... Once the Army stopped wearing them the Air Force and in turn CAP switched to the BDU 'cause the supply of new pickle suits dried up and the expected influx of used stuff for CAP didn't materialize as expected.

Already seeing a lot of issues with cadets still being authorized the old style service uniforms and the supply drying up... Should be phased out sooner rather than later IMO.
Mike Johnston

BillB

Another possible source for BDUs is the Universities AFROTC Detachments.  At the end of the school year, many of the BDUs are in good condition and are still replaced, sent to DRMO. Your AFROTC Detachment in most cases is glad to transfer them to CAP rather than send to DRMO.  The same applies to blues. You may even find those $165 service coats available occasionally.
If a high school has an JAFROTC unit, uniforms may be available there also.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Twolf

Quote from: MIKE on November 22, 2005, 06:38:36 PM
If they consider the uniforms to be unserviceable enough to warrant destruction as opposed to reuse, we probably don't want them anyway.
The Army doesn't reuse uniforms at all - they all get sent to DRMO unless they still have a tag on them (i.e. they've never been worn) So if a soldier grows out of his or her BDUs, then they'll DX them and the old ones get sent to DRMO. But since we're getting new uniforms, it sounds like nothing gets sent to DRMO. I guess the whole point of my post is that the Army is getting rid of their BDUs - the good, bad and the ugly. This is an opportunity to get enough uniforms to last a LONG time. Sure you might get a crappy set here and there - But if you get 50 sets of uniforms in and 10 or 15 are bad enough to warrent destruction.... I'd say it's worth our time. Lets face it, we're never going to get top of the line stuff. We'll always get somebody else's old, used stuff. We should be happy getting anything at all.
[RANK] Smith
Grand Rapids "Iron Rangers" MN-010

&

SGT Smith
Minnesota Army National Guard
Recruiting & Retention NCO

Chris Jacobs

I know every one is not in the position to buy their own but for those of you who do have the money it is well worth buying the good stuff.  don't go to the local army surplus store because all they sell is the junkie civilian knock offs.  if you buy the good BDU's they will last you for years.  and when you out grow them (as i just did) you can give them to the squadron for those not in such great positions.  2 1/2 years ago i bought two sets of BDUs.  now i have out grown them but they are in better shape still than most cadets uniforms.  if you can afford new it is well worth your time.

For those that can't i think DRMO is a great option.  You will have to do some searching for a good pair and then you still may need to do some minor repairs (new button here or there).  but over all DRMO is a good source.

And for cadets that can't afford them i recommend a summer job.  i went down to the local air port this last summer and got a killer job.  i loved working down there and made a lot of money and now i can buy enough uniforms to start my own squadron.  i really like knowing that i can buy any uniform parts that i need and not have to wonder if i can afford them.  (i understand that this is not possible for every one)

I think what i am trying to say is that there is no reason not to be able to get a pair of BDU's and wear them.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

SarDragon

I disagree. DRMO is, IMHO, one of the worst sources. Most of the clothing is unserviceable, and those items that are still usable are frequently in sizes that won't fit cadets.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

footballrun21

Quote from: Twolf on November 22, 2005, 06:01:04 PM
      Not only will you get a bunch of uniforms, but you'll get a crap load of field jackets as well - and possibly the Gortex Jackets/pants too.

Nothing wrong with the extra things.  The field jackets and especially the Gortex parkas are really expensive.  Lucky for me I got the parkas used for only $40. ;D
Most cadets will need these jackets in the winter anyway.  This way they don't have to buy their own and waste money (like I do all the time ;)) for a seasonal item.
New Jersey Wing

Eclipse

In reply to the original question, as an encampment commander this issue concerns me greatly.

The answer is, that's just the way it is.

I believe your interpretation of 52-16 & 39-1 is correct - that there is no way to actually require a cadet to purchase anything but the basic uniform.  However as a practical matter, we as event commanders will, and have to, continue to prescribe proper UOD's which fit the duty.

What this means to me is that any cadet who absolutely refuses, whether on financial or legalistic grounds, to purchase anything but SS blues, will have to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, and the regs would tie my hands in barring the cadet from participation.

With that said, many things in life are not fair, and frankly a cadet in that situation, for whatever  the reason, is not likely to excel in the program.

He or she would constantly stand out against the crowd, and ES would be all but closed to them.  Not to mention the added burden and expense of constantly repairing or replacing uniform parts which get ruined when over-worn or worn inappropriately.

"That Others May Zoom"

John Bryan

Ok....I know this started as an issue of wearing BDUs on activities and all.....BUT I cannot help but add my 2 cents on the ES side track.

1. Should cadets be part of ES? Yes....many wings need cadets to form ground teams and perform this mission. We need them.

2. Does ES take away from the Cadet Program? NO....the Cadet Program is to teach leadership, team work, communications skills, etc.....ES is a great real world lab for the Cadet Program.

3. Are cadets too young? Some might be.....but age should not be the main test but rather the readiness shown to their commanders and leaders. Have you been to the beach? How old do you think most life guards are.....how many of are older cadets are already members of volunteers on the local rescue squads, how many are EMTs and 1st Responders. In some states you can be a certified 1st responder at 16. There seems to be a lot of worries about the "danagers of younger cadets". I would ask you to consider William "Willie"Johnston, he was only 12 when he earned the Medal of Honor. Some would say times have changed......but I would say that the biggest thing to change is WE expect too little from young people. CAP is one of the few places where young people can serve and do great things.....we should not change that.

Eclipse

Here, here!

One of the best parts of the cadet program is that cadets can have a legitimate real mission at the age of twelve.  I was a Boy Scout, and helped in my community, but frankly most of the first aid and other classes were just lip service. 

Even if its not on the front lines, cadets can do real work on a regular basis as a part of their progression.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguy06

I dont knoiw the answe to this so this is only a guess. But because the Wing CC is a corporate officer, cant he prescribe regulations adding to the CAP regs. You can add to but not take away from the regs so eventhouigh the regs say at a least a blue shirt and blue pants, couldnt the Wing CC perscribe more to that?

Matt

In theory, yes.  However, there must be some way of providing the cadets with them.  Simply because defining the basic uniform is a means of not MAKING cadets pay additional costs unless they want to (minimal uniform is given by Nat'l minus the pins).

Yes, the Wing/CC could make a supplement that cadets must wear more, however, (s)he would have to give a means to acquire those items free, or a voluntary low price.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

footballrun21

That's true.  NHQ might give you the blues uniform, but isn't it more expensive the first year for national dues because some of that goes to pay for the uniform?  Pluse you will get the uniform, but you still need to buy the required items like pins ans patches to be able to wear the uniform.  So pretty much when you join CAP, you're saying that you need to buy almost all of you uniforms/uniform items.

CAP doesn't pay for anything. ;)
New Jersey Wing

Pylon

Quote from: footballrun21 on November 29, 2005, 08:36:45 PM
That's true.  NHQ might give you the blues uniform, but isn't it more expensive the first year for national dues because some of that goes to pay for the uniform?  Pluse you will get the uniform, but you still need to buy the required items like pins ans patches to be able to wear the uniform.  So pretty much when you join CAP, you're saying that you need to buy almost all of you uniforms/uniform items.

CAP doesn't pay for anything. ;)

True -- you are required to purchase insignia, without which, you can't wear the basic blues uniform. 

However, just a minor correction -- dues aren't higher for new membership because of the uniform.  It's higher for both cadets and Senior members, and SMs don't get any free uniform.  The first-time extra bucks go towards the books/binder/orientation materials that NHQ sends new members.   

Money for the Free Cadet Uniform program is provided by the Air Force on an annual basis and has nothing to do with dues money.  When the allotted AF funding for the year runs out, no more free uniforms are issued until the next fiscal year begins.  This wouldn't be the case if the costs of the uniforms were figured into the joining cost (perhaps they should be).
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: footballrun21 on November 29, 2005, 08:36:45 PM
but isn't it more expensive the first year for national dues because some of that goes to pay for the uniform? 

Initial membership costs more than a renewal because it covers the cost of the new cadet packets...  The uniform is funded by the USAF.  No funding or no funds remaining for the fiscal year means no uniform.
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

According to the latest change to CAPR 39-2, there is no longer a difference between the prices for new and renewing cadets.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

capchiro

It appears that I missed something.  Some people have voiced the opinion that the Wing Commander can mandate uniforms, such as BDU's etc., beyond what the uniform manual requires.  According to the legal department, National issues Rules and Regulations, not suggestions and ideas.  Any additional or different concept from a Wing Commander should go through National for their approval.  We are a national organization made up of local Wings, but those local wings fall under the control and domain of the national agency.  Local Wings are not authorized to change national reg's according to my local shyster.     
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

flyguy06

Here is my opinion.
SHould cadets be part of ES? yes, it is an activity that teaches leadership.

Does ES take away from the cadet program. Yes. The cadet program is an "AVIATION" based program, but you have units that dont do anything related to aviation. Its all ground team, first aid, rescue techniques, camping communications. Nothing dealing withflying airplanes or careers inaviation. Isnt that the mai purpose of CAP? To train youth to be leaders in an aerospace environment.

Its cool to go out do all that camping and rapelling and stuff ( I am an Infantry officer, I do it all the time), but bottom line, thats NOT the main purpose of the cadet program like it or not.

ladyreferee

Have we forgotten that there are three missions for CAP - Cadet Programs, Aerospace Education, and Emergency Services?  Small units may not be able to have all the knowledge or personnel to cover all three missions adequately.  So they pick one or two missions to do well, hence, the unit that does just ES and skips the AE.  My small unit is trying to cover all three missions - we aren't up to excellent on any of the three parts yet, but at least we are trying to offer alot of different activities for the cadets to be exposed to.
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: capchiro on November 30, 2005, 01:10:44 PM
It appears that I missed something.  Some people have voiced the opinion that the Wing Commander can mandate uniforms, such as BDU's etc., beyond what the uniform manual requires.  According to the legal department, National issues Rules and Regulations, not suggestions and ideas.  Any additional or different concept from a Wing Commander should go through National for their approval.  We are a national organization made up of local Wings, but those local wings fall under the control and domain of the national agency.  Local Wings are not authorized to change national reg's according to my local shyster.     

Your local shyster is not 100% correct on this.

Wing CC's have some limted authority to make regulations MORE strict than NHQ, as well as authorizing non-critical components of the standard uniforms such as t-shirts, covers and insignia.

Unit commanders also have some limted authority in the same area, depending on Wing policies.

As a general rule, these uniform supplements are applicable only within the state the Wing CC has authority, and some times reguire Region approval as well.

As an example. Nevada Wing is wear-testing berets until the end of the year inside the state for GTM's only.

For Seniors, the Wing CC, Unit CC, or duty commander has the authority to require a specific uniform for a given purpose or mission.

As Seniors, of course, members who don't have it, or don't agree with the CC, can choose to not participate.

"That Others May Zoom"

Matt

Quote from: Eclipse on December 05, 2005, 03:17:02 AM
Nevada Wing is wear-testing berets until the end of the year inside the state for GTM's only.

Well that's a bummer.  One would assume that the visors would be the privilege and everyone else is unsheltered  ;D.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Cmdbuddy

As far as requiring BDU's for Encampment, which is required for your Mitchell, this is what I have to say: if you want your Mitchell,  you're going to have to make some sacrifices.  Time, studying, etc.  And that means spending a few bucks to get a uniform.  You can't get everything for free nowadays. 

At my squadron, when a cadet joined, we let them know right then what the extra costs were going to be to do stuff.  Afterall, I don't get to go to NFA, IACE, etc. for free, do I?  If you really want something, teenagers will do what it takes to get it.  I've known people to babysit and stuff to buy stuff for CAP.  I guess it's better than video games...

Also most squadrons and wings have  supply "closet" full of stuff.  I know my squadron had boxes of BDU blouses, pants, boots, and blues uniforms.  If they could fit in it, it was theirs.  Personally, I like all of my stuff new, and I have that option if I want to shell out money for it.  I know if we didn't have it at the squadron, we'd schedule a trip out to wing hq about once a quarter to allow people to see if there's something there that they need.  Well, of course, that was before my wing headquarters were destroyed by the 'cane named Katrina.

"Ain't no uniforms here..."
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

Five-seveN

Eclipse

That doesn't look like Mississippi, is that Louisiana?

"That Others May Zoom"

footballrun21

Quote from: Cmdbuddy on December 12, 2005, 01:31:27 PM
You can't get everything for free nowadays.

Can't get ANYTHING for free nowadays!

Quote from: Cmdbuddy on December 12, 2005, 01:31:27 PM
Also most squadrons and wings have  supply "closet" full of stuff.  I know my squadron had boxes of BDU blouses, pants, boots, and blues uniforms.  If they could fit in it, it was theirs.

I have a small squadron and we don't do that.  We should, but we don't.  I guess if we needed it that bad we would go to Wing HQ.  We also wouldn't be able to have a whole room of supplies because we don't have our own place just for CAP (trailer, etc.) we've always had to use a public place like a school or even a church (which we did use, but only their "gathering hall" or whatever it's called).
New Jersey Wing

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: Eclipse on December 12, 2005, 06:21:50 PM
That doesn't look like Mississippi, is that Louisiana?

Yup, LAWG Headquarters.
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

Cam89

We used to get used uniforms for free at my squadron. We don't anymore eversince we ran out of money to pay fo the lights and extra stuff for the hanger. We don't have anyone to sponser us. Some of our cadets can't even afford to go the activities we hold.
Carrisa Marinshaw
    C/Amn

Xeno

Quote from: Cam89 on December 13, 2005, 12:12:41 AM
Some of our cadets can't even afford to go the activities we hold.

We used to have that problem too. Until we found a fund raiser that is actually worth while. Here in Texarkana we have a rotary club that contracts people out to put flags up all over town during holidays. We get $100 per route and have have 2 routes. We do this about six times a years for a total of $1200 per year. Of course, we also get donations and things like that as well. So money is rarely an issue here. Last year we paid for a little over half of the tuition to National Powered Flight for a cadet. Now the only problem is finding cadets who care enough to help us put the flags out. I've thought about instituting a "no help/no benefit" policy for those who won't show up.
C/1st Lt. Josh Sims
C/CC SWR-AR-095

121.5 -- If you crash, we will dash...

abysmal

It would seem that my squadron suffers from just the opposite problem with uniforms.
Getting the cadets into BDUs is a SNAP!
They all want to wear them and are happy to go out and buy them.
But getting them all into the proper set of Blues is a HUGE challenge!
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

Pylon

Quote from: abysmal on December 13, 2005, 10:37:25 PM
It would seem that my squadron suffers from just the opposite problem with uniforms.
Getting the cadets into BDUs is a SNAP!
They all want to wear them and are happy to go out and buy them.
But getting them all into the proper set of Blues is a HUGE challenge!

Perhaps try what our squadron does to ensure they have a complete and correct blues uniform:

Since the cadets get the clothing itself from the FCU, we just worry about insignia.  Since it's rather daunting to send a newbie off into CAPMart or the Hock to buy all the right things, we do it for them.  The squadron orders all the basic items a new cadet will need (blues nameplate, BDUs nametape, CAP cutouts, wing patches, flight cap cookie, etc.).  We've totalled the cost up and included it in the cost for the cadet to join the unit.  When they join and give us the check, we order all their junk and present it as soon as it arrives.  This way, we can give them the insignia and show them how to properly wear it on their new, USAF-funded blues uniform.

It's worked so far, and nobody complains that we're charging for it since it's explained that they'd need to shell the same amount (if not more) out anyways.  We're just doing the gruntwork for them.  :)

abysmal

HEY THERE!
Now thats a great idea.

What is the cost you are charging your newbies for this??

Pylon

Quote from: abysmal on December 14, 2005, 04:17:06 PM
HEY THERE!
Now thats a great idea.

What is the cost you are charging your newbies for this??

It's about $20-$25.  I forget the exact amount, off the top of my head.  It saves everyone a bit of headache, and doesn't cost anybody more than they would be spending anyways.

I think our cost will be going up $1, to include a reversed American flag patch for the BDUs as well.  Might as well get them issued right from the start.

It's pretty simple really.  When someone goes to join, you simply state it costs: $31 to NHQ (or whatever your Wing is) for new cadet membership fee, and a $25 (or whatever you determine it to be) insignia/supply fee to cover their initial set of uniform accessories.  You inform them that a free blues uniform comes in the mail, and when it does, you'll have their insignia all ready. 

Therefore, the first time they wear their blues, they ought to be in complete uniform and any placement issues can be addressed on the first day!  No chance to slip into habitual errors.  :)

abysmal

How are you pulling down shoes at that cost?

Pylon

Quote from: abysmal on December 14, 2005, 04:49:57 PM
How are you pulling down shoes at that cost?

Oh, sorry... shoes we don't do.  We just do all the confusing stuff, like insignia (pins, nameplates, etc), and accessories (belt for BDUs, BDU patrol cap, etc.).  Outside of insignia and accessories, the cadets need to pick up their undershirts and shoes/boots private purchase unless we have some in-stock (rare).

Although, I figure there's very little someone can mess up buying a pair of plain black dress shoes, or plain black boots.  Since shoes and boots can vary considerably in quality, cost, and size -- it would be difficult for the squadron to try and obtain them for each cadet.  It's better for the cadets to shop themselves, try on different pairs, and buy one in their cost range.

As for the insignia however, it's all the same size and all the same cost.  We just take the difficulty out of figuring out where they need to go, and what they need to get from some online shop they've never been to.  Sending new cadets off into The Hock, however, might see them come back with magenta shouldercords and Senior member nameplates, grade insignia for C/CMSgt, and the wrong Wing patch.  ;)

abysmal

Pylon

Quote from: abysmal on December 14, 2005, 06:39:36 PM
Gotcha.
Thanks!

To be complete, this is generally what we buy a new cadet:

For Blues:
  • Cadet Enlisted Flight Cap Device ("Cookie")
  • CAP Blue 3-line nameplate

For BDUs:
  • BDU Patrol Cap
  • Blue Civil Air Patrol "branch" strip
  • Blue name strip
  • Reverse American Flag patch
  • Blue web belt with subdued buckle

For Both:
  • 1 Set of metal CAP cutouts
  • 2 Wing patches

We generally have a number of BDUs in stock from local ANG surplus, and we try and issue each cadet with BDU blouses & pants from squadron supply.

The squadron also stocks a number of long-sleeved blues shirts in our supply stock (coming from that surplus from the local Air National Guard base).  If a cadet wants a long-sleeved shirt (and because of our very cold winters, we recommend it), we'll loan them the uniform for the duration of their membership and sell them the necessary tie, tie tack, and additional wing patch for an additional small fee.

We don't mark up the cost at all, and the squadron does not profit off this.  We simply order what the cadet needs, at minimum, and pass the cost right on to them.  If they want additional sets of items or further accessories & gear, we direct them to the online stores to make personal purchases.

md132

In my squadron we would furnish the first set of required insignias and patches free of charge.  And if they need additional insignias and patches we would let them know where to go.  For example, when I get a new ribbon for my uniforms, either in CAP or SDF, I would donate my old ribbon mounts to my squadron. Also when a cadet or senior leaves whether it's on his/her own or if they are PCS, they would donate all their uniforms and uniform items to the squadron.  We don't require it.

We do get alot of donations for BDU's since we are on an Army base and the Army BDU's are slowly being phased out.  We also have a Thrift Shop that usually has BDU's and Blues.  What I would also do if I have to I would get the uniforms for MCSS or have them shipped and would get reimbursed for the exact amout of the uniform item. 

abysmal

I have just submitted a request for change to our squadron SOP requesting that we supply 100% of the uniform components for new cadets (less footwear) with an optional sheet for the full BDU if the new cadet so chooses.

Will see what the new commander says...