Main Menu

PCR/RMR Staff College...

Started by jimmydeanno, February 08, 2008, 03:49:13 PM

jimmydeanno

Just curious as to whether or not any of you are going to the PCR/RMR Staff College next month.  Might be an opportunity for me to pad my "Who on CAPTalk have I met" posts.  >:D

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Camas

If you're speaking of the PCR/RMR Region Staff College at Nellis AFB NV - yes, I'll be there.  Looking forward to meeting you.

jimmydeanno

Yep, that's the one (edits made above to reflect proper name).  From what I hear, this one is one of the better ones to go to.

I decided on this one based on it's reputation and the fact that it is as far away as I could get from my own region.  I think it is a good thing to see how things go on outside your own CAP environment.

I too hope to see you there, I'm actually rather exited to go.  I even got my permission slip signed by my wife  :D

I was just thinking that maybe CAPTalk should have polo shirts available.  We could embroider our screen names on them.  :D that way when we meet in public we know who we're really talking to :)

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

wacapgh

I'm signed up as well, so that makes three of us.

wacapgh

jimmydeanno

Ditto...unless this snow storm cancels my flight... :(

jimmydeanno

UPDATE:

Snow didn't keep me down.  Flight was delayed by 1 hour due to de-icing of the wings.  The hour delay made me miss my connection in ATL.

Had to go on standby for last flight to Vegas, barely made it on, there were 14 other people ahead of me on the standby list.  All the coach seats were filled and I got a first class seat!  I don't think I'll ever fly coach again - they even gave me free headphones :P

But, we're about to enter day 2 (really day 3) of the Course.  Here's what we have on the schedule...

SAT
Registration
Orientation
Time Managment Seminar

SUN
Myers-Briggs Personality Type Inventory (This was fantastic)
Thunderbird Arrival (the T-Birds came back from somewhere and we watched them fly in and reunite with their families.)
Team Building (had team building exercises and principles of building teams)
CAP-USAF
Social Dinner (Pulled BBQ pork sandwiches, cole slaw, baked beans, etc)
Seminar "Team Project"

MON
Tours of Thunderbirds Facility and Operation Red Flag Facility
Leadership "Part 1" - Anatomy of Successful Leadership
Leadership "Part 2" - Evaluation, Development & Implementation
Seminar "Team Project"

TUE
Kouze's and Posner's Leadership Practices Inventory
Leadership "Part 3" - Empowering Others
Loquacious Logic (not sure what this is yet...)
Seminar "Team Project"

WED
Overview of Legal/Regulatory Environment
Personal Conflict Management (TKI)
Accountability
Picnic
Seminar "Team Project"

THU
Dimensions of Personality
USAF Leadership School (Closed Session)
Leading in Professional Development
CAP Operations
CAP Cadet Program

FRI
Thoughts on Being a Commander
CAP Leadership & Command
Seminar Project Presentations
Region Commander

So far I have thoroughly enjoyed meeting some of the most professional CAP officers I've ever met and we've had absolutely fantastic instructors and staff.

There are few things that I'm kind of disappointed about, but it isn't anything large enough to make it a big deal.  The primary thing is the expectation of the students.  For example, we had almost an hour discussion on the proper wear of the uniform and during the orientation we were 'reminded' not to do anything illegal.  I'm kind of disappointed that things like this even need to be brought up at this level of a school.  One would expect at this level we wouldn't need to be reminded of these types of things.

But as I said, the course so far has been very professional, the staff is more than capable of teaching these courses and they've done a wonderful job of organizing the event.  The lodging is top notch, the food is just as good and the people are friendly and open - there isn't any of the local level "one upsmanship" that occurs all to often, and I like that.  I'm having a great time.

Oh, and I can see the Vegas strip but haven't quite made it out there yet.  Lastly, if anyone is curious, Las Vegas did NOT participate in Earth hour  :D

If anyone wants more information about any of the lectures or events we do, I'll be willing to share / explain, but I'll have to have completed the class first...

flyerthom

Went last year. 100% worth it. But while you guys are slacking at Nellis NV wing did it DRE. Went pretty good!
TC

Camas

Ditto on what "jimmydeanno" has mentioned.  Having a great time.  Met both "jimmydeanno" and "wacapgh"; a couple of great guys.  If any of the forum members are stationed here at Nellis, don't be afraid to look us up and say hi.

lordmonar

I just dropped by today...to do some errands....if you saw a MSgt in ABU hanging around (and working on his car) that was me. :)

I'll try to drop by again tommorrow.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Larry Mangum

Lt Col Kathy Maxwell from Washington Wing is there as well.  She is the Chief of Staff in Washington.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

jimmydeanno

Quote from: lordmonar on April 01, 2008, 10:08:09 PM
I just dropped by today...to do some errands....if you saw a MSgt in ABU hanging around (and working on his car) that was me. :)

I'll try to drop by again tommorrow.

NO KIDDING!  I thought I recognized the name!  I've got your number now!  >:D

Fifinella

Quote from: jimmydeanno on February 08, 2008, 06:30:26 PM
I was just thinking that maybe CAPTalk should have polo shirts available.  We could embroider our screen names on them.  :D that way when we meet in public we know who we're really talking to :)

I like that idea!
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Camas

We all graduated yesterday.  What a great bunch of folk!  A pleasure meeting so many including many who post here such as jimmydeanno, lordmanor and wacapgh.  And hey, you guys in NHWG - pay attention; Jimmydeanno got promoted to major - way to go!

jimmydeanno

I concur, great group of folks that were there.  Camas, wacapgh are fine upstanding gentlemen in every sense of the word.  Lordmonar, sorry I didn't get to officially meet you, however, I hear you are a great guy too.

Had a great time at RSC and I definitely recommend anyone who is considering to go.