Meeting at a NG Armory/Reserve Center

Started by DC, February 07, 2008, 04:37:19 AM

DC

How would one go about securing meeting space at a National Guard Armory or a Reserve Center? We have both nearby, but we have no relationship with either one, at least in recent history..

We are meeting in the conference room at the local FBO right now, and it really isn't working for us...

mynetdude

I believe your LG officer needs to contact the region CAP-USAF Liason officer and you need to use some kind of a request to do so. I was just reading about this in 67-1 under real property.

Tubacap

Definitely do the above.  We just started a new squadron about 6 months ago that meets at a National Guard Armory.  One of the best things I did was to get acquainted with the Recruiters, Duty NCO's, and Commander of the unit.

They have been outstanding in their support!
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

DNall

That's official channels. The most important thing about the guard is its all about relationships (who you know). Our wg has a good relationship w the guard, but a cold impersonal req like that would get turned down unless higher outright orders the local commander to take on the guest.

You def do need to go thru the official channels, but I'd advise you to do some relationship building first. It's real easy to stop by during the week & talk to a readiness NCO. I'd do that, then call the commander see if he'd like a free lunch/dinner at some point. You don't even have to go in talking about needing facilities. You can just be there to talk to them about CAP, let them know about your ES that ties in with their state mission, or cadet program. Once you get them on your side they'll start wondering how they can help support you.

As long as you're talking about a weeknight so you won't interfere with thier unit/s drilling, then it's just a matter of someone being there to lock the place up. At first they may want someone around to make sure you don't break into the arms locker or anything, no big deal. All good reasons to recruit a young soldier or two.

Once they (locally) know who you are & what you're about, maybe even like you, then by all means go the official route thru your state director.