Main Menu

Squadron Website Info

Started by Stonewall, January 16, 2008, 04:34:23 AM

Stonewall

I'm pretty sure my squadron's website has all the info a visitor needs to know to find out whether or not CAP is a program worth joining.  At least enough information to spark someone's interest enough to visit the squadron for a face to face.

Other than an overview of CAP (history, programs, missions, squadron info and meeting time/location), a page for each of the 3 missions of CAP, a photo page and a links page (NHQ, Wing, Vanguard, etc); what else is needed?  What more could you possibly tell them about the program?

On the site is says "If you have further questions please email Lt Col Tentpeg at  xxxxx@xxxxxxx.com or visit us during our regularly scheduled meeting".  So when I get an email that says "can I have more info about your program, my son is interested", what do you say?  Well, I replied suggesting they visit the squadron or if they have specific questions that aren't covered by the squadron, wing or NHQ site, please feel free to call me.  But seriously, I can't imagine needing more info before visiting the squadron.

But maybe that's just me.  Go figure, I'm different.
Serving since 1987.

Walkman

As someone in the marketing/advertising world that does a lot of web development, my 2ยข:

Some people just prefer human contact. It may be an aversion to technology, it could be something as simple as they just don't like to read. Whatever the reason, even in our heavily wired world, these people seek out face-to-face (or voice-to-voice) interaction to get their information and make decisions. Also, the larger the decision, the more human interaction needed for them to feel comfortable.

It also has to do with the fact that the decision to join involves human relations. People want to make sure they're dealing with people they can get along with. Even your response to their email query can tell them a lot.

pixelwonk

Why not create a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) that you can easily cut 'n paste into an email or include on your website?
Here's a start:

• Will you teach me/my kid to fly?
  • What is your time commitment?
  • Will my son/daughter have to go overseas?
  • Will you pull my kid out of school?
  • Will my kid go to boot camp
  • *Gasp* Do I have to go to boot camp?
  • Do I have to be a pilot?
  • I don't like flying at all.  Are there other things to do?
  • Am I too old/is Snuffy Jr too young?
  • Are your cadets there because they are 'delinquents?'
Those are just a few that I have been asked, or were at least implied.
Point is, until folks come to a meeting, they have barely an idea of what we do from reading the usual "The three missions of CAP are..."dealio on a website.  And they probably didn't retain much of that either.

My nugget of truthiness: folks will feel dumb asking questions.  Do the work for them by asking the questions you would have wanted to ask when you were a n00b and think up strong answers to go with 'em.

Do ya smell what the teddas cookin?

JAFO78

Quote from: tedda on January 16, 2008, 05:32:20 AMDo ya smell what the teddas cookin?

Rock isn't going to like that.............. :o

8)

Tags - MIKE
JAFO