Main Menu

ES Basic Badge

Started by footballrun21, August 29, 2005, 12:31:16 AM

footballrun21

i curently wear the ES Basic badge on my blues.  i was told recently (as was about 5 other people in my squadron)that u need to have a technician rating for ES...

is this true and how do i go about getting it if its needed?
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing

arajca

In order to wear the basic ES badge (the red shield), you need to complete the requirements for the technician rating in ES. As a cadet, you can't earn the rating itself, but you can complete the requirements for it. And, once you have met them, you can wear the basic ES badge.

You can find the requirements in the pamphlet covering the ES track (CAPP 213)

Pylon

Also, as a cadet, you can ignore the requirements for the badge that can only apply to Senior Members.  In other words, you don't have to complete Level I (because you can't), but you still need to meet all the other requirements for that specialty track.

You can find those requirements in the CAPP (CAP Pamphlet) for the ES Officer Specialty Track.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Pace

I can promise you that unless you're a cadet officer, you can't complete the requirements for the ES Technician rating since it requires you to take and pass an AFIADL course.  Only cadet officers and senior members are eligible to take AFIADL courses.  Sorry. :-[
Lt Col, CAP

footballrun21

so cadets who have GES and maby UDF are or are not allowed to wear the ES Basic Badge?
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing

Pace

No, GES and UDF do not qualify for the ES badge.  You can wear the ES patch on your BDUs above your nametape, but the red ES badge is something entirely different.
Lt Col, CAP

Major_Chuck

Remember that the three Emergency Services Specialty Badges are awarded for completing the three phases of the Emergency Services Specialty Track.

The Ground Team Badge is awarded for completing the requirements for that award.  Totally seperate from the ES Specialty Badge.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Pace

Quote from: Major_Chuck on August 30, 2005, 01:32:43 AM
The Ground Team Badge is awarded for completing the requirements for that award.  Totally seperate from the ES Specialty Badge.

You just confused me.  No one has mentioned the GT badge.
Lt Col, CAP

Major_Chuck

Quote from: dcpacemaker on August 30, 2005, 02:06:25 AM
Quote from: Major_Chuck on August 30, 2005, 01:32:43 AM

You just confused me.  No one has mentioned the GT badge.

Sorry to confuse you.  I've run into people who in the past have thought that the Emergency Services Specialty badge and the Ground Team Badge were interchangeable.  That is the only reason I referenced it.

-CC
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Pace

Ah, gotcha.  I've seen where that has been a problem in a similar situation with people who don't read the regs.  "Hey, there's an ES patch and an ES badge.  They must be the same thing, just one is for blues and one is for BDUs."  I have yet, however, to run into someone who thought the GT and ES badges were interchangeable.  Dare I say it:  That's impressive.
Lt Col, CAP

Viper

Quote from: dcpacemaker on August 29, 2005, 10:26:27 PM
No, GES and UDF do not qualify for the ES badge.  You can wear the ES patch on your BDUs above your nametape, but the red ES badge is something entirely different.

Can the ES patch be worn by someone who has both GES and SET ratings, and only those two ratings?

Eclipse

No - At least not in ILWG.

The ES (Pluto) patch is awarded to members who have achieved a qualification beyond GES.

As a point of order, GES itself is not a qualification - it is a minimum prerequisite to begin training for a qualification.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pace

And to go off what Capt Williams said, SET isn't a qualification either.  It simply entitles you to teach/certify others in the skills you have.  If all you have is GES and SET, you have nothing to teach anyone else in the realm of ES.
Lt Col, CAP

Viper

Quote from: Eclipse on March 02, 2006, 03:27:29 AM
No - At least not in ILWG.

The ES (Pluto) patch is awarded to members who have achieved a qualification beyond GES.

As a point of order, GES itself is not a qualification - it is a minimum prerequisite to begin training for a qualification.

The requirents for the ES Patch are:

Quoted from CAPR-035-6 (E) Aeronautical Ratings Emergency Services Patch And Badges And Ground Team Badges, Paragraph 3:
"Requirements for Award of the CAP Emergency Services Patch. Current and qualified in accordance with CAPR 60-3, CAP Emergency Services Training and Operational Missions as a general emergency services member with one additional specialty qualification."

So, you MUST have a GES Rating.  But why isn't SET an ES Rating?

Pace

Quote from: Viper on March 02, 2006, 09:46:45 PM
Nope.  SET just allows you to train others in ratings you already have.

Think about it like this.  If you show up to a mission with nothing but GES and SET on your 101 card, you're not qualified to do anything except sit back and watch (for the resident reg beaters, this is not assuming trainee status).
Lt Col, CAP

Viper

Quote from: dcpacemaker on March 02, 2006, 09:58:13 PM
Quote from: Viper on March 02, 2006, 09:46:45 PM
Nope.  SET just allows you to train others in ratings you already have.

Think about it like this.  If you show up to a mission with nothing but GES and SET on your 101 card, you're not qualified to do anything except sit back and watch (for the resident reg beaters, this is not assuming trainee status).

Thanks, now it makes sense.