Main Menu

Squadron Patch Size

Started by MIKE, August 28, 2005, 09:30:06 PM

MIKE

I've looked at AFI 84-105, and I can't seem to find the answer to this question.  What is the proper size of a squadron patch in the disc with scrolls format?  I read in arajca's Patch Design Proposal that the desired size with regard to his particular proposal was no larger than 3.5" x 3.5", but is there a current USAF standard?

What should the radius/diameter of the disc itself be?  How wide should the scroll(s) be?  In thickness, not length as that is given as I understand it.  Or is it all just to be based on overall size incorporating both the disc and one or two possible scroll elements as authorized?

Just trying to get an idea of the scale of the actual patch if possible, so I can be sure everything will fit and be legible.

AFI84-105
Mike Johnston

AlphaSigOU

Most unit patches I've seen are usually no more than 3-4 inches in diameter; the scroll is usually around 1/2" to 5/8" high, including any borders. The ends of the scroll should not extend beyond the imaginary '3-9 line' (basically the middle of the disc). If you choose to have a scroll above and below the disc, try and keep them symmetrical.

Remember that in the Air Force, shield-shaped emblems are for groups and higher; squadrons use a disc. CAP generally does not follow this rule (my squadron's patch is shield-shaped).

Hope this helps.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MIKE

Mike Johnston