Main Menu

Air Force Museum

Started by mikeylikey, October 06, 2007, 03:02:12 AM

Skyray

Kach:

I have already discussed such an exhibit with Bubba Smith, who you may already know.  He is interested.  I simply don't have access to enough memorabilia, although I have some wings and stuff from the 60's (mine).

My best friend from high school is named Bubba, although not Bubba Smith.

I am ancient history up there, and Bubba Smith replaced the Executive Director that was there on my watch.  My replacement on the Board was Barry Bobes, whom I have not heard from in years although I get regular updates from his former spouse on the Pineda issue.  She was a member of the Southeast Region IG staff. I have no information on either of their membership status at this time.  The Valiant Air Command is a fun group.  They do an annual WW II theme air show, timed the week before Lakeland to keep ferry costs for the participants down, and when you join, you are automatically promoted to Colonel, an effort to keep the political maneuvers down.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

SeattleSarge

Quote from: mikeylikey on October 07, 2007, 01:46:19 PM
Yes, yes......they were displayed over there.  However, since then (and I think the info desk people said) they were removed last month. 

Wow, this is disturbing.  Since they're taking my money as a "Friend of the National AF Museum", I'm going to write and try to confirm what Mikey was told.

I'll post the results here.

-SeattleSarge
Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs - Mission Aircrewman
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadron.org

mikeylikey

^ I almost signed up for that. 
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Skyray on October 07, 2007, 05:13:23 PM
Kach:

I have already discussed such an exhibit with Bubba Smith, who you may already know.  He is interested.  I simply don't have access to enough memorabilia, although I have some wings and stuff from the 60's (mine).

My best friend from high school is named Bubba, although not Bubba Smith.

I am ancient history up there, and Bubba Smith replaced the Executive Director that was there on my watch.  My replacement on the Board was Barry Bobes, whom I have not heard from in years although I get regular updates from his former spouse on the Pineda issue.  She was a member of the Southeast Region IG staff. I have no information on either of their membership status at this time.  The Valiant Air Command is a fun group.  They do an annual WW II theme air show, timed the week before Lakeland to keep ferry costs for the participants down, and when you join, you are automatically promoted to Colonel, an effort to keep the political maneuvers down.

We have a recruiting tent at the Valiant Warbird show, and we have the cadets help out with crowd and traffic control on the flightline.  Last March, we were there when a jet crashed, killing the pilot.  Our cadets manned a perimeter around a Canadian Forces helicopter that went up to find a way for firemen to get into the wooded crash site.  The cadets cleared the area of debris and kept spectators 100 feet away while they spooled up for the launch.  The CF pilot made a pint of coming over to tank us, saying "We could not have launched safely without the quick action of your people."
Another former CAP officer

Skyray

Kach:

"We could not have launched safely without the quick action of your people."

Always good to hear that the program responds and performs well.  I was the director of communications at the 1994 warbird show, and Barry arranged for a contingent of cadets from the west coast.  They were exemplary!  There was a minor problem when his squadron 2Bed my cadet liaison officer, but we worked around it.  This was the 2B that put Pringle and Bowling at odds, and resulted in the appointment of Pineda.  Bowling had his IG unilaterally re member my liaison officer, so the first time I got into this mess I was on the other side.  But that is not the point.  The point is that those thirty cadets were absolutely instrumental.  They worked the com center, they ran dispatches, they guarded the flight line, they did crowd control.  And there were enough of them that I was able to see that most of them saw most of the show.  A really inspiring experience.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

SeattleSarge

Message from the Museum Staff:

TSgt. Kruml,

The CAP aircraft are still on display in the Presidential Hanger and there are no plans to move them. Please advise us as to where or from whom your information came from and we will make sure that they have the correct information.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=6328

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=576

Sincerely,
Public Affairs Division
National Museum USAF
NationalMuseum.MU@WPAFB.AF.MIL

Not sure what's going on...  Mikey, you may want to contact them directly.

-SeattleSarge
Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs - Mission Aircrewman
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadron.org