Red Bull Air Races

Started by A.Member, September 25, 2007, 03:51:44 AM

A.Member

Did anyone make it to the race in San Diego last weekend?  This should've been a must do for any squadron within reasonable driving distance (a few hours). 

Never heard of it?  Then you're missing out.  It is a kick a** air competition unlike no other!  To get an idea, check out these highlights from San Diego (click on image to view short video - Quicktime viewer required):

They also had a race in Monument Valley earlier in the season:

For more info, go to:
www.redbullairrace.com
and /or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull_Air_Race

You may also have noticed a number of other videos are available on the Red Bull site as well.  Definitely check them out too.  Unfortunately, San Diego was the last U.S. race this season.  But there's always next year!

On a side note, this would be a cool series for CAP to get involved with in some way from an advertising/support standpoint.  It's relevant, young, exciting and very, very cool!
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

♠SARKID♠

I LOVE THESE RACES!! I have been following them all season.  I hate to not cheer for the Americans, but you have to admit, Peter Bessenyei is an air racing god!  For those who havent seen them, check your local listings for your Fox Sports Network affiliate.  They air on Sundays and are listed simply as "Air Racing".

SJFedor

Yeah, these guys really do have a lot of talent. I've watched them before on TV, and the stuff they're doing with those planes at such low altitude is incredible.

I love the replay software they have where they can superimpose the opposing plane on the screen so you can see where one lost the time that the other didn't.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

A.Member

Quote from: SJFedor on September 25, 2007, 07:56:17 PM
Yeah, these guys really do have a lot of talent. I've watched them before on TV, and the stuff they're doing with those planes at such low altitude is incredible.

I love the replay software they have where they can superimpose the opposing plane on the screen so you can see where one lost the time that the other didn't.
I agree.  The superimposing replay is a cool feature. 

There is just a ton of stuff to like about the event.  There's the flying, of course.  The venues are phenomenal.  The camera angles are fantastic.  It seems to suit itself pretty well to both t.v. and live audience.  And they draw tremendous crowds, except in the U.S. unfortunately (which is why if someone didn't know about this series, their AEO should be fired immediately >:D). 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

♠SARKID♠

QuoteIt seems to suit itself pretty well to both t.v. and live audience.  And they draw tremendous crowds, except in the U.S. unfortunately (which is why if someone didn't know about this series, their AEO should be fired immediately Evil).

Its AMAZING how large the crowds are!  They set a record for having the largest attendance to a sporting event in Brazil! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?!?!  They are the largest competitor in soccer worldwide, and when a game is on, all life stops to watch it!  And soccer got beat out by an AIR RACE!

♠SARKID♠

Just got done watching the London race.  Shame that Bonhomme couldnt take home the win in his own country.  :'(  Also a shame that Bessenyei didnt take 1st, for Peter is my hero  ;D

A.Member

Race this weekend in Detroit, MI!  :clap:

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: A.Member on May 30, 2008, 02:43:30 AM
Race this weekend in Detroit, MI!  :clap:

Oh what I wouldn't do for vacation time... :-\

Although I get to go work a stunt airshow next weekend so I can deal :)

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

KyCAP

This could be a CAP endorsement to get behind... (Thinkin' NASCAR)  NOT....

:clap:
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

A.Member

Quote from: Pylon on June 21, 2008, 07:24:25 PM
So who went?
I was there...along with an estimated 750,000 spectators! To say it was friggin' amazing is an understatement.  You simply had to be there.  Honestly, every CAP squadron within driving distance of 8 hours or less should've been there...no excuses.   

This was a top notch production.  Viewing areas were terrific.  We could see the entire course, a large Jumbotron-like screen, and hear the audio.  The flying was phenominal.   Consider:  230mph course entry speed, 10g's (no suits), ~50 AGL, altitude variance without penalty (3 sec.) ~30 ft., manuevers must be performed within 10 degree variance without penalty (3 sec.), aircraft wingspan ~26 ft...pylon separation 33 to 45 ft.   First and second place were separated by .15 of a second.  Seeing them in person makes you appreciate even more just how good these guys are.

The Red Bull helicopter is demo is crazy cool if you've never seen it.  Let's just say, you have to see it! 

Here are a couple Youtubes:
Red Bull Helicopter Flight Demo
Red Bull Detroit - Highlights

The Air Force had a small recruiting tent off in the corner of our viewing area but this was a prime opportunity.  National should be on the phone right now trying to figure out some way we can partner with the U.S. races next year.  This event is one of the best things to happen in aviation in quite a few years.

♠SARKID♠

Just watched the first two races off my tivo today, and all I can say is I wish they would come to Milwaukee!

Bonhomme is definitely looking like a winner this year and I'm sad to see Bessenyei losing his edge (just too old if you ask me).

A.Member

Red Bull Air Race Series is in Windsor/Detroit this weekend.  Is anyone here planning to attend? 

I'd expect any local squadrons to be there as this is a premier AE opportunity.   Event tickets for the entire weekend are ridiculously inexpensive at $35 ($25 for military members).  Simply put, it's the coolest aviation event I've seen.

LittleIronPilot

On what channel are you all watching these? For the life of me I cannot find anything but highlight clips.

A.Member

Quote from: LittleIronPilot on June 09, 2009, 07:16:58 PM
On what channel are you all watching these? For the life of me I cannot find anything but highlight clips.
Fox Sports Network.   They're also available on webcast.

Polecat

I want to go to one of these races sooooo badly!

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: LittleIronPilot on June 09, 2009, 07:16:58 PM

Check hulu.com as well.

california IC

The Red Bull helicopter...the one that does loops, rolls and  flys upsidedown will be at San Carlos, California Airport on the 20th for the Hiller Avaition Museum's airshow.
Bob Keilholtz