OT - Grandfather's Army Air Corp Uniform

Started by BigMojo, September 19, 2007, 12:42:29 PM

BigMojo

Not sure if this is the right place for this post...Admins, move if need be!

Not long ago, my grandma told me she was taking a bunch of my grandfather's stuff (passed away 10 yrs ago) to the thrift store, and wondered if I wanted to go through it first. Being the good grandson, I decided to "take one for the team" and do it. Well, lo and behold, she was going to give my grandfathers Army Air Corp uniform away. I immediately asked if I could have it, as a piece of family history like that (that no one knew still existed) should not go away.

The uniform had lived in a garment bag, and was still in good shape. I found his medals and ribbons in a pocket, as well as his official discharge and enlistment papers! Included were his short dress coat (he was a Sergent), Shirt, Slacks, Service Cap, Flight Cap, and his daily wear uniform, there was also a shirt and slack from before he was assigned to the 8th Air Force.

So, I'm doing my best to preserve this, but not sure what the proper way is. My girlfriend found a shadowbox that holds it nicely, but not sure if there is a "more proper" way of displaying this. I had reproduction ribbons made to put on the uniform, and put the original ribbons and medals in their own case with collar devises. I'm going to attach some pictures, but I'm asking for feedback if everything is in proper place, and better ideas to display. (By the way, he was a member of the 8th AF, 34th Bomb Group, 7th Sq. He was stationed in Mendlesham(sp?) England for the war and his MOA was Welder.)

Oh, you'll also see in the photos, a Navy uniform, That is my GREAT grandfather's from WWI when he was on-board the USS Eagle 15. I have the full blue jumper, but no rank or other devises on it.

Thanks for reading, Ben

Medal Case (A little it of Brasso did wonders!):

Jacket Close-Up:

Jacket Whole:

On the wall. Note the picture next to the Navy Uniform, that's my Great Grandfather in Uniform, I also have one of Grandfather in Uniform, that goes below the Medal Frame, but isn't in the photo.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

BigMojo

Oh, I want to add the shirt underneath the coat, but the tie is missing. Does anyone know where I can get an AAC tie from the era, or a reproduction? I think there should have been one with it.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Wow, those examples are absolutely amazing. Nice work keeping them together like that, and it's really cool that you have all the insignia on the coat.

As far as a tie, here is a place that has a lot of very nice repro items: http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/

I've been thinking about buying from them and putting together a few CAP historical uniforms from that period. Would like to dress up a few mannequins for a display, but at present I don't know where I'd show them. I like our meeting place, but something like that left alone during the week would probably somehow walk away.

DogCollar

Awesome...I really like what you've done with the uniforms!!
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

davedove

Have you thought of donating them to a military museum?  They have the expertise in preserving and displaying the items.  Let's face it, most individuals don't have the space for that type of display.  Also, in a museum, so many more people can see and learn about the uniforms.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

BigMojo

Quote from: davedove on September 19, 2007, 02:02:23 PM
Have you thought of donating them to a military museum?  They have the expertise in preserving and displaying the items.  Let's face it, most individuals don't have the space for that type of display.  Also, in a museum, so many more people can see and learn about the uniforms.

I thought about it, but I really want to preserve them and keep them in the family. Is there a place that can do a "better" job of framing them?
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

James Shaw

Great job. I do have a couple of suggestions for you.

1. Do not put any of these items in direct sunlight...it will cause them to fade over time.
2. Make sure you have the displays exaclty like you want them and then seal the shadow boxes. Take the uniform out and put some hot glue around the edges of the inside of the glass. Then put the backing back on and do the same. This will help keep out bugs and moths to keep them from eating the cloth.
3. Add a small description plate on the bottom under the picture like you would see in a museum. This will help identify and remind others of the significance of it. The brass ones are good but should not be put inside the box. They tarnish over time and when they get cleaned with brasso the acid in the brasso is caustic to uniforms and also turns green.
4. Dont display them in a room than no one visits. Proudly display them in a place of prominance and give it the recognition due.
5. You can get a tie and shirt to match the uniform of the era from the Marine Corps khaki uniform. The colors are almost the exact same. It is an inexpensive alternative.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

BigMojo

Thanks for the suggestions!

Currently these hang in my office/den, and the shades are pulled in there, so no light comes in. I just picked up the tie (the only part I was missing) from wwIIimpressions.com as suggested.

Currently they uniform is held in place by friction (pressed in pretty well), because I didn't want to pin, glue or velcro in place until I was sure everything was done, and not going to move any more. Any other mounting suggestions?
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

James Shaw

Quote from: BigMojo on September 19, 2007, 02:18:09 PM
Currently they uniform is held in place by friction (pressed in pretty well), because I didn't want to pin, glue or velcro in place until I was sure everything was done, and not going to move any more. Any other mounting suggestions?

I actually use large magnets to hold things like this in place. This takes a little more work and a few more dollars. It also allows you to position better. They are a little costly but work great. You set the uniform in the case and put these large magnets in the uniform and a matching set on the outside of the frame glue in place on the outside edge. This eliminates the need to attach anything directly to the fabric. You can get them from
www.forcefieldmagnets.com. You need the 1 inch n type they are extremely strong. You will need a total of about 14 seven inside and seven outside.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

JohnKachenmeister

The Navy uniform in the picture shows your GGF with a white braid on the right shoulder seam.  If I recall correctly, that was the rank insignia for Seaman First Class.  Back in the day, sailors didn't wear traditional rank devices on the upper arm until they made Petty Officer.
Another former CAP officer

BigMojo

Quote from: caphistorian

I actually use large magnets to hold things like this in place.

That's a great idea!
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing