This is a good history story

Started by flyguy06, August 26, 2007, 09:11:10 PM

dogboy

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 26, 2007, 09:11:10 PM
http://www.ket.org/trips/aviation/chappell.htm

This is a very interesting story about an inspiring person. Additionally, it's interesting to note that Ms Willa Brown Chappell became a CAP officer in 1941, which, to my knowledge, is years before there was an African-American officer in the Army Air Force.

Here's a picture of her in WWII CAP uniform http://www.northstarprograms.com/historical.htm (click to enlarge)

Eclipse

Yes, first black AAF officers was Benjamin O' Davis, which the leadership award was changed to a few years back.

He was commissioned in 1942.

http://www.af.mil/history/person.asp?dec=&pid=123006482

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Seems like Chappell should have been a pick to name a CAP achievement/award/ribbon after, given her aerospace pioneering and having been the first African-American CAP officer.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Pylon on December 02, 2007, 07:59:26 AM
Seems like Chappell should have been a pick to name a CAP achievement/award/ribbon after, given her aerospace pioneering and having been the first African-American CAP officer.

Where do you want to add an additional acheivement?  or better question which acheivement do you want to rename?

Pylon

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on December 02, 2007, 08:09:39 AM

Where do you want to add an additional acheivement?  or better question which acheivement do you want to rename?

Considering we just named two things after Benjamin O. Davis just a year or so ago (Certificate of Proficiency and the Leadership ribbon), and that we still have awards that are unnamed (Membership/Level I, for one), it doesn't seem like too big of a stretch.

I didn't advocate adding an achievement for the sake of being able to name something after Chappell, nor did I advocate renaming something already dedicated.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Pylon on December 02, 2007, 08:18:05 AM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on December 02, 2007, 08:09:39 AM

Considering we just named two things after Benjamin O. Davis just a year or so ago (Certificate of Proficiency and the Leadership ribbon), and that we still have awards that are unnamed (Membership/Level I, for one), it doesn't seem like too big of a stretch.

I didn't advocate adding an achievement for the sake of being able to name something after Chappell, nor did I advocate renaming something already dedicated.

Quite possibly the hour, or the number of hours I have been in operational mode, but I am sorry if I came off sounding snooty.......

I was thinking Cadet acheivements not seniors, and you are right.  We have level I that is not named for anyone.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Eclipse on December 01, 2007, 10:35:28 PM
Yes, first black AAF officers was Benjamin O' Davis, which the leadership award was changed to a few years back.

He was commissioned in 1942.

http://www.af.mil/history/person.asp?dec=&pid=123006482

Nay... he got his butter bars in 1935 as an infantryman after graduating The Hudson High School For Wayward Boys (West Point for the humorless), then transferred to the Army Air Corps in 1941, earning his wings the following year.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040