Anyone ever get a wing ES exercise cancelled due to lack of interest?

Started by Nomex Maximus, August 17, 2007, 06:41:06 PM

Nomex Maximus

Anyone ever get a wing ES exercise cancelled due to lack of interest?  We had one scheduled for this weekend but so few people/planes indicated interest that the whole exercise was cancelled.  Sort of a bummer if you are trying to get qualified... is this a normal thing?

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

RiverAux

Heard of them being cancelled for cost and due to heat concerns.  Never heard of a lack of interest. 

sschwab

I would not worry about the lack of interest.  It's mid-August, everything is slow.  People are either tired of the heat, getting in the last vacation, or just busy trying to get the kids ready for school.

I have noticed that even the normal flow of wing/squadron email has dried up over the last few weeks.  I expect things will pick up once we get to the months ending in 'ber'

Schwab

Stonewall

Yeah, I've said it before in another thread, I never plannned exercises for July and August due to vacations, special activities, and encampments.
Serving since 1987.

Conical

Almost had a SAR-Eval cancelled several years ago.  Fewer than 50 people showed.  Some who were scheduled for mission staff canceled at last minute.  The Wing Commander pulled several positions and got lambasted by the nay-sayers for, among other things, being a micro-manager.  You figure it out.

Stonewall

Here's my theory on planned training and exercises.  If just 2 people show up, we train.  Your situation was probably more senior member related, while my experience usually had to do with ground operations, which in our area was predominately made up of cadets.  Either way, I've had 3 members show up to a field training weekend and instead of throwing in the towel, we trained anyway. 

It's probably harder with air ops where you need seniors to hold certain positions, but you can always do something.  I would never cancel something due to a lack of participation.  That being said, like I mentioned in my first post in this discussion, I wouldn't plan anything during the months of July and August.  YMMV.

Don't let it get you down; drive on.
Serving since 1987.

fyrfitrmedic

Then there are the exercises that get cancelled because the weather's not quite perfect.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Stonewall

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on August 17, 2007, 11:14:46 PM
Then there are the exercises that get cancelled because the weather's not quite perfect.

Maybe for the aircrews  ;D

If it ain't raining, we ain't training.
Serving since 1987.

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: Stonewall on August 17, 2007, 11:40:06 PM

Unfortunately, the attitude in some places is that if the aircrews can't go out and play then nobody should go out in play.

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Ricochet13

That's funny.  My wing cancelled an ES exercise this weekend too!  Our squadron went ahead and trained yesterday anyways.  Have new members and worked on their MRO skills among other things.

O-Rex

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on August 18, 2007, 12:48:41 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on August 17, 2007, 11:40:06 PM

Unfortunately, the attitude in some places is that if the aircrews can't go out and play then nobody should go out in play.

Savvy folks turn it into a tabletop, and your IC, ABOD and MSA's get trained and credit for the exercise nonetheless.  You already burned the mission number, get the most out of it!

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade throw them at someone.