Executive director of CAP National Headquarters resigns

Started by abysmal, June 14, 2005, 12:03:25 AM

abysmal

Executive director of CAP National Headquarters resigns

' ... I am certain each of you join me in wishing him every success in his future endeavors'
June 10, 2005

To the members of Civil Air Patrol:

It is with regret I write to inform you that Mr. Al Allenback has resigned today as executive director of Civil Air Patrol National Headquarters effective immediately. 

During Mr. Allenback's three-year tenure, CAP has achieved a level of operational effectiveness and accountability and, in the process, unprecedented credibility within America's defense community.  His dedication and commitment to the missions and volunteer members of CAP have been exemplary.

His future plans include pursuing challenges in the educational arena and private sector, and I am certain each of you join me in wishing him every success in his future endeavors.

Rest assured the members of our Board of Governors are in the process of putting into place a comprehensive and aggressive procedure for conducting a nationwide search for this position. In the interim, Don Rowland, senior director, will serve as acting executive director.

Maj. Gen. Dwight H. Wheless, CAP
                                                                                National Commander
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

whatevah

one thing I'm pretty dissapointed in, is that (post-9/11) we had all this hype about all the "Homeland Security" stuff we are supposedly doing, and NHQ printed out a fancy Homeland Security brochure about it.

However... it's mostly all hype.  CAP as a whole is NOT doing Homeland Security stuff. I know a LOT of the members would love to, but the opportunities aren't available.  And the few HS missions that become available are usually taken by a handful of people, often on Wing or Region staff.  It's really disappointing to the members who are qualified to do real HS stuff (like cops and stuff), but never get the chance to.

I'm not sure if the problem lies at NHQ not letting MOUs and such get passed through, or if it's with wings and regions not being proactive enough to let the pertinent agencies know what we're available to do. anybody knowledge enough to comment?
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

arajca

Part of the problem is National doesn't seem to realize that not everyone in CAP flies.  The majority of members do not (not just counting cadets). There is a need for a trained force of volunteers to help with many ground based tasks that National hasn't even bothered to give lip service to. Everytime I've inquired about updated missions and jobs for nonflying CAP personnel, I've been told there is nothing planned or envisioned. Just about every commander above the unit is a pilot or observer and ignores the fact that without ground personnel, they can't fly, and there are tasks that CAP members could easily do that don't invlove flying which therefore means those tasks are not worthy.

A point I've made before (and probably make again) is National has started crowing about the repeater replacement plan the AF has funded. National had NOTHING to do with obtaining that funding. When the Air Force told National about it, it caught them flat footed. National knew they were facing a huge financial problem with repeaters, but hadn't developed plans to meet the need.

I've stopped talking about CAP's "Homeland Security" roles and missions because, from what I've seen IT DON'T EXIST.

Major_Chuck

I feel that on the evening of 9/11 probably 99.9% of CAP members knew that we could be a player on the Homeland Security team.  We sold ourselves on it, and then sat while waiting for National and AF to come up with a plan.

We've had 'mission's for HLS however as it has been stated, it only effects a very small segment of our membership.  It is like the Counter Drug missions;  only effects a small number of members.

We talked and sold AF on our capabilities and they throw us some bones now and then.  While we courted the AF and Department of Homeland Security we missed the boat.  The money and opportunities are with state and local governments and in some cases we are making inroads with them.  

The problem comes when it comes to reimbursement and insurance coverage.  If anyone wants our services they have to call the NOC.  I guess in the world of one stop shopping that is supposed to make it easier.  I don't see it that way.

Gippslands and ARCHER are great but as it has been stated, without trained ground crews and support staff they are just high dollar PR tools.  In a true disaster response mode who is going to man the shelters,  assess the damage on the ground (how long can a plane circle?);  move the equipment;  go door to door; and so on?  

Perhaps National needs some new direction.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard