The drama's over...it's time to move on

Started by Nick Critelli, August 09, 2007, 12:46:42 AM

Nick Critelli

The drama in Atlanta as described on this and other blogs will quickly drive you to frustration.  Dysfunction, political intrigue, betrayal and all of the seven deadly cardinal sins seem to be rampant.  Are you wondering why you devote so many hours and so much energy to such an organization.  If so, I've got an answer for you. Go visit the National Museum of the Civil Air Patrol on the web. You can get to it on the home page of www.cap.gov.

Go through the photos.  Look at the faces of  those who have gone before and have worked to make Civil Air Patrol a great organization.  When you do, think about 1Lt G.W.Andrews from the OHWG. He was the first member of CAP to die in the course of duty (on October 30,1942). He wasn't alone. He would soon be followed by 63 other CAP officers and cadets who died doing CAP duty during the war.  They knew what CAP was about.

We enjoy the present because of  the efforts of those who have gone before.  But we must earn the right to dream of a future by our own efforts.  The Museum puts it all in perspective.   Our present level of complaining and criticizing  leadership  it not healthy for us or the organization. All  it does is increase the level of frustration and discontent and add to the dysfunction.

We need to turn our focus to those things in our own Wing where we can make a difference.   It's time to earn the future.  Go visit the Museum. If you like it, send the curator an e-mail of thanks.

ELTHunter

Lt. Col. Critelli,

You bring up a good point.  It makes me wonder, does CAP recognize in any official way, the members who have died while in service to CAP?  We have CAP Sunday, but I'm not aware of anything like a CAP memorial day for lack of a better term.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

RiverAux

All members will supposedly be listed on the CAP memorial.  I think we're going to find that far more members have died since WWII than during it. 

mikeylikey

Quote from: Nick Critelli, Lt Col CAP on August 09, 2007, 12:46:42 AM
Our present level of complaining and criticizing  leadership  it not healthy for us or the organization. All  it does is increase the level of frustration and discontent and add to the dysfunction.

Yes, but ask yourself the question.......WHY is there so much complaining and criticising?

We (the membership) are only reacting to what our LEADERSHIP has done.  They have embarrassed the organization and all of us.  If we "drop" the discussions and commentary, we are only setting ourselves up for this to happen in the future. 

Granted, those who were the founding members of the organization will always have a place in history, and our deserved respect and praise, they themselves did what is happening right now.  They voiced opinions, made commentary and shaped the climate of their CAP.

We hold our leadership responsible for their actions, lets not stop that.  I did check out the museum, I wish their were more pictures there.  It has been up for some time now, you would think there would be thousands of pics by now.
What's up monkeys?

ELTHunter

Our present level of complaining and criticizing  leadership  it not healthy for us or the organization. All  it does is increase the level of frustration and discontent and add to the dysfunction.

I agree with that statement. However, don't we also owe it to those same past members that made CAP what it is, to hold our leadership accountable to the highest standards possible?  Unfortunately, the way the current organization is structured, forums like these are the only real method for the rank and file membership to have a voice.  As I see it anyway.

We should be mindfull that everything we say is out there for the public to see, and understand that it can have a detrimental effect on the organization.  But, by remaining silent, don't we condone behavior that ultimately brings dishonor on CAP?
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

ZigZag911

Hopefully the NB will show some integrity for once and do what needs to be done to put this organization back on a solid footing.

We need a new style of leadership, we need a person with vision, we need someone with a plan -- and we have such an officer in the National leadership now, our vice commander, Brig Gen Courter.

I pray that the colonels entrust our future to her.

Col. Critelli has a point when he infers that we should "shut up and soldier"!

We need to focus our efforts on our own roles in CAP, and ensure that, whatever the problems at the top, we do our jobs and fulfill our missions in the field.

Does this mean we shouldn't discuss the current situation?

If it means more griping, complaining and GOB-bashing, then yes, it's time to put that (and hopefully them!) behind us and get on with our work.

But I think we have a responsibility to talk about our institutional weaknesses (not ad hominem attacks, name calling or mud-slinging -- focus on issues, not personalities) and explore how to heal our ranks and move forward.

wingnut

I beg to differ the problems within the organization are exactly what we are talking about, I for one Have given hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars in lost work time, flying over 150 hours on missions and SAREXs. To clam up and act as if we don't have problem is not what being a citizen volunteer is all about.

I find that we are often missled or not given important information that we need to get the job done of being in CAP.   Often favortism supercedes professionalism and highly skilled professional join CAP to just quit in disgust and frustration over this strange circus of Aux on Aux off, are we a Para Military, Air Force Aux, a Corporation with free pilots and Air Crews for hire. We amlessly chase ELTs that are 98% maintenance issues and thus people are burned out, pilots are told to be ready and wait for hours and hours without the common courtesy to be told "Stand Down. Thank You very much.

No Sir. I will not stop asking why things are this way, because I expect it to be better. CAP get over 20 million dollars of Tax payers money. I expected better oversight and leadership. As for me I will never just complain, But I will work to make it better, unless we have people in leadership who are obstructive and have their own personal agenda.

CAP needs more transparency, the people doing the missions are not being paid the professional courtesy given to members of the Military. When has a CAP member filed a complaint with congress, for example This joke called the CAP $10,000 life insurance for "killed in the line of a "Corporate mission" or gee no body told the wife that if your husband, father of 4 children is killed on a CAP mission, none of their life insurance covers them, little details but I have been told that some CAP members (Families)  recieved "NO insurance" due to some BS after their loved one was killed. 

My car insurance excludes any accident while I drive for the US Government, so what if the IC forgot to put me in the WIMRS, or worse, I had grey cotten pants on and not wool pants, I could be considered "Out of Uniform" and so guess what its all on me.

So yes lets get on with it, but I have been hearing the same rumble from highly respected Officers with much worse compaints that seem to fall on Deaf ears.

smgilbert101

Now may be a good time to reflect on how we are behaving as leaders.  Please remember that these forums are also visited by cadets.  Those cadets do not always understand what is happening right now.  In fact, all of the drama this week was the subject of our Moral Leadership class at our most recent meeting.  We spent fully 1/2 of the meeting clarifying the issues and the ethical fountains behind the BoG's decision.  If what I have seen is wide spread, there is a lot of FUD (Fear Uncertainty Doubt) among the cadets and our membership in general.  It's our job to remain steadfast in our support to the organizations mission and act as leaders.

While we all retain the right of freedom of speech, we have a RESPONSIBILTY as leaders to set a good example.
Steve Gilbert
SWR-TX-434
Too much rack for my uniform, favorite job is "mentor" (or was that mental..hmm)
ex-alot of things and sometimes gumbly old bear.

mikeylikey

^ Perhaps you should spend half a meeting going over the CAP Constitution as well.  That is where the legality of this entire mess is based.  Cadets should be forced to read it at least once! 

Honestly, I don't care if a Cadet comes here and does not understand what is going on.  I will be happy to answere their questions though.  If they ask of course.  To stop discussing an issue because a Cadet does not understand the issue is a bad idea.
What's up monkeys?

Dragoon

While it is indeed embarrassing to admit publically that our house may not be in order, the alternative to to pretend things are fine.  That's kind of a lie.

Some amount of "dirty laundry" airing is good for the organization's soul.  It shows that we care, and that we expect our organization to stand up for its core values.

We have to be civil about this for now - after all we don't have all the facts, and folks ARE innocent until proven guilty.  But I'm glad there's some drama here - we should be outraged at the charges.  If we weren't outraged, it would mean we've lost our moral compass and just want to rest on past laurels.  

I hope it turns out that this whole thing is a big mistake, but I wouldn't bet any money in that direction.  The BOG must have known how the public would perceive this action - I doubt they'd go off half-cocked.

And if the allegations are true, or even likely true, there's no way the General should keep his stars.  That would send absolutely the wrong message to the public about what we stand for.

When you're the guy at the top, you have to accept that you live in a fishbowl, and even the appearance of impropriety is grounds for removal.  Don't like it?  Don't take the job.

LtCol White

"he can go about his business...Move along, move along"
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

wingnut

;D ;D ;D ;D H a Ha Ha, Thats Great Obiwon

"I feel a great disturbance in the force"

RogueLeader

Quote from: wingnut on August 10, 2007, 12:06:25 AM

>:( >:( >:( >:(
It's Obi-Wan
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ADCAPer

We need to turn our focus to those things in our own Wing where we can make a difference.

I agree, we all need to do what we can to make a difference, but the drama is far from over. If you really want to make a difference then you need to start by not burying your head in the sand.

Ignoring what's happening is not going to make anything better.

Nick Critelli

OK OK...I see that some of you are not going to stop the personal attacks, grousing and general complaining.  Some of you even believe that you have a duty to do so and that somehow it is doing good.  Opinions may differ.

Remember, it's easy to criticize and go negative; it takes no talent or effort.  For what good it does it can cause  an equal if not more damage to the organization as a whole. None of us has a right or duty to damage the organization but ALL of us have an obligation to be a catalyst for change. That means that we must do something positive for the corps.  Before you grouse ask yourself..."what have I done lately for CAP to make it a better organization?" And before you take a shot at leadership ask yourself if you have put forth a positive proposal to your chain of command; have you helped?

CAP is similar to all other organizations. It operates under the 80-20 rule. Twenty percent of the people do eighty percent of the work.  Where do you fit.

Personally I have no time for anyone who bellyaches, complains or criticizes but makes no effort to help or takes the time to fully understand what they are complaining about. 

Thank heaven the drama is over....let's all get to work and make CAP a better organization.

Nick Critelli

Interested in CAP'S future? You might want to visit  BG Courter's web page. http://www.capsfuture.com/

RogueLeader

Quote from: Nick Critelli, Lt Col CAP on August 10, 2007, 03:48:04 AM
Interested in CAP'S future? You might want to visit  BG Courter's web page. http://www.capsfuture.com/
I saw it earlier, nice page with plenty of good ideas. :)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JC004

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 10, 2007, 04:01:20 AM
Quote from: Nick Critelli, Lt Col CAP on August 10, 2007, 03:48:04 AM
I saw it earlier, nice page with plenty of good ideas. :)

Her re-election margin as reported by Midway Six is a good sign.

wingnut

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 10, 2007, 12:20:38 AM
Quote from: wingnut on August 10, 2007, 12:06:25 AM

>:( >:( >:( >:(
It's Obi-Wan
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

So Sorry Obi-Wan

And I agree, Lets ROLL
I am going to fly at least 20 hours for CAP this next week.

Skyray

I am afraid that it is Annikan being resurrected once again.  The Sith are nearly immortal, and when you think you are rid of them, there they come in a new bionic suit.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member