CAP Audiobooks?

Started by Username: unavailable, December 18, 2018, 04:55:17 PM

Username: unavailable

Ok, so this idea just occurred to me, as my Earhart is fast approaching and I really need to study. I've got an 8-hour drive to encampment in about a week, and I started wondering why CAP doesn't have audiobooks for the cadet testing material? Especially the leadership books, (I think AE might be a bit too dense and bland for an audiobook). Is it something that's been considered/attempted before? Is it even worth trying to implement? Any input is appreciated  :D

Ned

What an interesting idea!

We have not done that, although I suppose an enterprising unit with a cadet with special needs may well have already done so.  Maybe someone will respond and point you to it.

But let me take the idea forward to see how we can make it happen.

Ned Lee
Col, CAP
National Cadet Program Manager

jeders

Quote from: Ned on December 18, 2018, 05:12:19 PM
We have not done that...

Yes you have. Unfortunately, only for the first 5 chapters of the leadership material.

If you go to the Cadet Library, you will find audio downloads for the first 5 chapters. The downloads are broken into separate files for each section, so you can just load them all on your iZunedroid and listen along (at least until you get to chapter 6).
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Producing a coherent and tolerable audiobook is no small undertaking, and not just
"reading the text into an MP3".

There's a reason you see the same group of narrators on the major titles - they know how to
speak in a cadence and tone that doesn't make you run for the stop button.

Not saying it's a bad idea, but to be effective needs real production.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

Quote from: jeders on December 18, 2018, 06:11:30 PM
Yes you have. Unfortunately, only for the first 5 chapters of the leadership material.

You are correct.  I had forgotten about them.

I just listened to a couple and I must agree with Bob, it needs to be more than just reading into an mp3 file. 

I'm going to check to see how many downloads we have had for those files.

Capmonkey

National CAC is actually working on an idea just like this, and will have a position paper for NHQ ready soon!

Username: unavailable

Hey hey, would ya look at that! USAF just announced an auditory enlisted study guide:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk