CAP Instrument Form 5 Demo/Endorsement/Add-On

Started by etodd, October 18, 2018, 02:20:05 AM

etodd

So I'm now IFR, and uploaded my temporary certificate in eServices, checked the Instrument box and it was approved, but I'm still listed in Qualifications as VFR Pilot.

Some places call it an Instrument Add on, while elsewhere I see it as Instrument Demo, and CAPR 70-1 calls it an Instrument Endorsement.

A bit confusing.

Adding to the confusion is the last line on page 38 of CAPR 70-1:

IX. Instrument Flight Procedures – Minimum completion standards for this section include at least one partial panel unusual attitude recovery, one holding pattern, and one instrument approach. The Check Pilot has discretion to cover this section verbally if the pilot has satisfactorily completed an FAA Instrument Proficiency Check requiring a demonstration of instrument competency within six calendar months prior to the CAPF 5.

^^^ Read the last line. Sure looks to me it could be a verbal questioning on this, since I just passed the FAA Checkride two days ago(?)  I must be missing something. I'm sure CAP doesn't trust the FAA DPE to have adequately examined me two days ago. LOL

Yes, I have a valid current Form 5 from this past June.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on October 18, 2018, 02:34:37 AM
Did you...

Quote from: etodd on October 18, 2018, 02:20:05 AMcover this section verbally

...with anyone in CAP yet?

I thought you were in CAP, so ...   LOL

I'm flying with a CAP Check Pilot Friday for the Add-On .... but can't find anyone who understands the last sentence of that paragraph. Hence my stooping so low as to ask here.  ;) ;D

PHall

Quote from: etodd on October 18, 2018, 03:01:46 AM
Did you...

I'm flying with a CAP Check Pilot Friday for the Add-On .... but can't find anyone who understands the last sentence of that paragraph. Hence my stooping so low as to ask here.  ;) ;D

The way I read that line is that the CAP Check Pilot can "talk you through" the check if you got your FAA Check within the past 6 months.
So, you can ask your Check Pilot which they would prefer. It's a 50-50 chance.

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on October 18, 2018, 03:01:46 AM
Did you...

I don't understand where the confusion is.

If you want to add the IFR to your CAP rating, you have to do...

at least one partial panel unusual attitude recovery
one holding pattern
and one instrument approach

This would normally be done in an airplane with a CAP checkpilot.

If you've had an FAA IFR checkride within the 6 months prior to the CAP IFR checkride, the CP can choose to
discuss the above instead of having you actually demonstrate it.

If your last FAA IFR ride was older then 6 months, or the CAP CP decides your jib is not cut square, he can
say "we're doing it in the air".

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: PHall on October 18, 2018, 03:20:27 AM

The way I read that line is that the CAP Check Pilot can "talk you through" the check if you got your FAA Check within the past 6 months.

Yes. Thats what I'm seeing, but not sure my CP here agrees.  I'll talk more with him Friday.  But hey, I'm not trying to get out of the ride. I love any excuse to go flying. I just saw that line in the Regs and was curious as to how often, if ever, its actually done?  Me, I'd rather go flying.  :)

Luis R. Ramos

"Jib not cut square?"

First time hearing that expression.

Is not a jib a triangular sail? How can you cut a triangular sail in a square manner?

>:D

By the way, I know he means "cut true." But I ask, still wonder how that expression came to be.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Why else would you not like the "Cut of ones jib"?

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on October 18, 2018, 06:02:13 PM
"Jib not cut square?"

First time hearing that expression.

Is not a jib a triangular sail? How can you cut a triangular sail in a square manner?

By the way, I know he means "cut true." But I ask, still wonder how that expression came to be.
Good question, Luis, since yes, a jib is a triangular sail. From snooping around on the interwebs, I found a number of sources explaining that sailors would judge the character (friend, foe, condition of ship, condition of crew, etc.) of another ship by its jib. In the early 19th century the term "cut of one's jib" came into usage for judging the character of a person.

Mike

Live2Learn

Quote from: etodd on October 18, 2018, 01:20:37 PM

Yes. Thats what I'm seeing, but not sure my CP here agrees.  I'll talk more with him Friday.  But hey, I'm not trying to get out of the ride. I love any excuse to go flying. I just saw that line in the Regs and was curious as to how often, if ever, its actually done?  Me, I'd rather go flying.  :)

Congratulations!  You just passed your IFR check ride with a DE.  That's an accomplishment!

So, how much actual instrument time do you have, under what conditions?  Absent a few hours of real IMC experience it's kinda hard to predict what the CAP CP might ask of you.  Though it seems reasonable to me that a CAP CP might want to confirm, if you lack of real condition experience, that your skills are adequate for hard IFR with a plane load of CAP members aboard.  Have you documented your personal 'go/no go' limits?

etodd

Quote from: Live2Learn on October 25, 2018, 10:05:16 PM
Quote from: etodd on October 18, 2018, 01:20:37 PM

Congratulations!  You just passed your IFR check ride with a DE.  That's an accomplishment!

So, how much actual instrument time do you have, under what conditions?  Absent a few hours of real IMC experience it's kinda hard to predict what the CAP CP might ask of you.  Though it seems reasonable to me that a CAP CP might want to confirm, if you lack of real condition experience, that your skills are adequate for hard IFR with a plane load of CAP members aboard.  Have you documented your personal 'go/no go' limits?

Crossed the "Ts" and dotted the "Is", so I'm Instrument Rated in CAP now.  LOL

I'm about 48 hours of hood time and a little under 6 hours of actual.  Got a great CFI who likes flying in the clouds and rain for training.  No, I'll not fly down to 200 foot minimums any time soon, but AL Wing (or is it national?) has set the limit at 500 foot minimums. So thats easy enough in a G1000.  :)  Jumping on finishing my Commercial now. Hope to have it completed in a couple months. (Fingers crossed). Goal is to be CFI before the end of 2019.