Cadet Advisory Council?

Started by kwaisun, September 12, 2018, 11:24:43 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on September 14, 2018, 03:10:40 PM
I also have checked the staff handbook and this is what I was assigned, even thought it is not in the handbook. I am not going to argue with my superiors about my positions

What does it say in eServices?

"That Others May Zoom"

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Eclipse on September 14, 2018, 03:19:29 PM
I also have checked the staff handbook and this is what I was assigned, even thought it is not in the handbook. I am not going to argue with my superiors about my positions

They haven't entered anything yet but I was told in person that I am the squadron PAO. I will ask them to input the position in eServices
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Spam

(Laughing because he's changed his Captalk signature to PA NCO).

:clap:

You're on the right track, Rifleman... keep going here...!

V/r
Spam

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Spam on September 14, 2018, 03:29:14 PM
(Laughing because he's changed his Captalk signature to PA NCO).

:clap:

You're on the right track, Rifleman... keep going here...!

V/r
Spam

Figured I should end the PAO conversation and get beck onto the CAC conversation
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on September 14, 2018, 03:30:30 PM
Figured I should end the PAO conversation and get beck onto the CAC conversation

Denied.

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on September 14, 2018, 03:28:04 PM

They haven't entered anything yet but I was told in person that I am the squadron PAO. I will ask them to input the position in eServices

You're not the "Squadron" anything. You're the Cadet (whatever) within the squadron.

Your squadron is a cadet squadron. This means you have a Commander, a senior staff, and a cadet staff with subordinate cadets within whatever your corps structure is.

The squadron can still have a senior member Public Affairs person. As the Cadet Public Affairs NCO, this would be a duty mentor while you still report to your cadet superior (Cadet Commander, Cadet Deputy Commander for Support, whomever). A Cadet PA NCO would typically be expected to help run social media pages, perhaps update the website, draft newsletters, take photos and publish them, etc..as they apply to the cadet program. But you aren't responsible for the content from the perspective of compliance or safety/security. The Commander, through the support of a senior member Public Affairs Officer, would bear that responsibility.

The same goes for a Cadet Logistics or Cadet Supply NCO, Cadet Communications NCO, Cadet Safety NCO, etc. Even if there is no senior member counterpart, cadets do not hold a primary position in the unit which make them responsible for that function outside of the scope of being a cadet within the cadet organization.

Try Page 23:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R020_001_73F1BA70FD9EB.pdf

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 17, 2018, 03:03:07 PM
Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on September 14, 2018, 03:30:30 PM

Denied.

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on September 14, 2018, 03:28:04 PM

You're not the "Squadron" anything. You're the Cadet (whatever) within the squadron.

Your squadron is a cadet squadron. This means you have a Commander, a senior staff, and a cadet staff with subordinate cadets within whatever your corps structure is.

The squadron can still have a senior member Public Affairs person. As the Cadet Public Affairs NCO, this would be a duty mentor while you still report to your cadet superior (Cadet Commander, Cadet Deputy Commander for Support, whomever). A Cadet PA NCO would typically be expected to help run social media pages, perhaps update the website, draft newsletters, take photos and publish them, etc..as they apply to the cadet program. But you aren't responsible for the content from the perspective of compliance or safety/security. The Commander, through the support of a senior member Public Affairs Officer, would bear that responsibility.

The same goes for a Cadet Logistics or Cadet Supply NCO, Cadet Communications NCO, Cadet Safety NCO, etc. Even if there is no senior member counterpart, cadets do not hold a primary position in the unit which make them responsible for that function outside of the scope of being a cadet within the cadet organization.

Try Page 23:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R020_001_73F1BA70FD9EB.pdf

Ok I have changed my CAP Talk signature. In the form there is no cadet public affairs officer/NCO. Should I just submit ideas then ask to carry them out? Or what?
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on September 17, 2018, 03:11:14 PM
In the form there is no cadet public affairs officer/NCO. Should I just submit ideas then ask to carry them out? Or what?

If you're assigned as the Cadet PA NCO, then that's your assignment. Just ask your Commander or Deputy Commander to have your duty position entered into eServices. Cadet PA NCO is in there. I just went into it to verify it still exists.

What's important is for you to have a job description provided to you and your cadet superior so that you know what the expectations are for your role. This helps gives you guidance as to what your responsibilities as a cadet are in the unit, and also gives your leadership guidance as to what to expect from you (and to not expect). You don't want someone going "Hey, did you perform the Safety Briefing for the activity?" when that isn't your job (just as an example).

Spam

(Ahhhh, Hornet...) I getcha...

Rifleman, the great thing is that you have a solid volunteer spirit and what may appear as hectoring and pushiness to you is actually going ro help you in the long run. For example, by regularizing the duty appointment and getting it into the system correctly you are starting to build a track record on line. That record set will score you higher in your later cadet career when you apply for things like scholarships (where this will literally pay off).

Again... Stick with this. You're on the right path!

Cheers
Spam

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Spam on September 17, 2018, 03:36:29 PM

(Ahhhh, Hornet...) I getcha...

Rifleman, the great thing is that you have a solid volunteer spirit and what may appear as hectoring and pushiness to you is actually going ro help you in the long run. For example, by regularizing the duty appointment and getting it into the system correctly you are starting to build a track record on line. That record set will score you higher in your later cadet career when you apply for things like scholarships (where this will literally pay off).

Again... Stick with this. You're on the right path!

Cheers
Spam

Thank you all for this information. I was unaware of who had to input the duty assignments. I have asked many fellow cadets in my squadron that have a duty assignment if they have it stated in eServices, many of them don't, so I will make sure that those who have an assignment are label in eServices as their assignment.

Also, thank you for the encouragement. I will keep up the good work.              ;D
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

TheSkyHornet

So here's how duty assignments work, and excuse me for some ignorance as to user permission in eServices, if I exclude any...

Your Commander, Deputy Commander, or Personnel Officer can enter you into various duty positions (both as cadet or senior member)...obviously, as a cadet, you cannot be assigned to a senior member duty position (like, you couldn't be made Deputy Commander or Finance Officer).

eServices lets you select the individual cadet (from your roster), and you determine what functional area they will be assigned. For cadets, this is:
- CAC Appointment
- Command Selection
- NCO Support
- Officer Support

CAC include Group Assistant, Group Rep, Wing Assistant, and Wing Rep.

Command Selection includes Cadet Commander, Cadet Deputy Commander, First Sergeant, Flight Commander, Flight Sergeant, and Element Leader.

NCO Support includes all of those support jobs I listed in the previous screenshot. Officer Support includes those same jobs but with the "Officer" added instead of "NCO."

*There may be a few roles missing, but I'm simplifying it for the most part.

eServices will not let you assign someone that does not meet the minimum or maximum grades allowed according to CAPR 60-1. What is does let you do is backdate the assignment if needed. What it does not let you do is backdate the removal of a duty assignment. So if you go "Oops, I forgot to unassign that cadet...they haven't been in that role for 3 months," it still shows that today's date was the day you removed them from that job. So it's a little clunky.

As you can see, the choices in eServices are not entirely matching to the Cadet Staff Handbook, especially the support roles. There are obviously a lot more roles offered in eServices than the handbook discusses. This is where you can reference the line in the handbook that says that the roles of cadets are not set in stone, and you can tailor your org chart to your unit's desires, but you should provide job descriptions.

What I recommend is, if you go beyond the duty assignments eServices offers, you provide an equivalent assignment in eServices. For example, if your unit assigns a Cadet Fitness NCO (maybe rather than having the First Sergeant do this job, you add a new duty position), then you can make them a Leadership NCO or Activities NCO, as the closest duty positions there might be...and yes, Cadet Fitness NCO is a thing at some units. Some units also assign a Cadet Plans & Programs Officer.

So there's all kinds of ways to set up your unit. As long as it works, and it serves a purpose, go for it. But write up job descriptions, draw up organizational charts that show reporting lines, and try to get them into eServices. I understand this isn't your responsibility, but perhaps, as a member of the cadet staff at your unit, it's a talking point for a cadet staff meeting (hopefully, you have those now and then).

I have a couple of cadets at college in my unit. They both have the same assignment since they still "actively participate" from abroad; one is the primary, and one is the assistant (different tasks, but related). eServices only lets me mark them both the same job. So I just let them sit there. It's not really a big deal in the grand scheme, but I try to keep up with it.