Main Menu

CAP Memorial

Started by James Shaw, July 02, 2007, 12:50:29 PM

James Shaw

Greetings folks. I have finished the first panel of the Civil Air Patrol Memorial. Taking a picture of glass is hard. The glass does have finger prints on it. When looking at the panel only the Etched Design will be seen. There are a total of 5 panels. Each panel has a different purpose.

The memorial will initially be housed at the NHQ Building. I believe it will afterward be moved outside to an area on the base. I think they want to see what it looks like before they commit to putting it on the base for public display.

Dedication - This is the panel that will be above the names of the people that have lost their lives.

Created With A Purpose - This panel has founding and charter information. Dates started, public law, first base, first patrol, first lineo f duty death.

Achieved Through Resolve - This panel will have a map of the United States with each of the original bases identified.

Proven In Time Of Need - This panel  will have a picture of the plane dropping a bomb on a U-Boat. The Sub will be full length and the bomb will be era specific, as well as the plane.

Members - This panel will have current Missions For America and will list Operations, Cadet Programs, and Aerospace Education with a graphical representation for each. It will also have the tag line "CAP provides 95% of the ....."

If you note the first letter of each of these panels you will see the Meaning of this pentagon shaped memorial.

Dedication                                                        - Dedicated
Created / People                                              - Civil
Achieved in the Air & Ground                            - Air
Proven on Patrol                                              -  Patrol
Members current Missions                                - Members

The first letters of these panels will be "slightly" enlarged more than the others. The pentagon shaped frame is being built by a iron works company in Warner Robins and lead by Lt. Col. Todd Engelman. We are both working on this as well as my son a C/SSGT.

This memorial is being paid for by myself and Todd. The NB collected some money to support our work and had to approve it.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

JohnKachenmeister

Absolutely beautiful, even with the fingerprints!

And long overdue!

Where is it going?  The Air Force Museum in Dayton would be one suggestion.
Another former CAP officer

LtCol White

I believe he says it will be displayed outdoors at Maxwell
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Major Carrales

May I publish this in my weekly newsletter?  You may PM me any infor you think might augment it.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SeattleSarge

Just for the good of the order...

You all know there IS a CAP memorial at Arlington National Cemetary and at the National Museum of the USAF, right?

At Arlington, there is a small marker not too far from the visitor's center.  At the USAF museum there is a granite bench/monument just outside the doors on the north side of the lobby.

-SeattleSarge
Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs - Mission Aircrewman
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadron.org

ZigZag911

Caphistorian, excellent job, tasteful & appropriate.

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: SeattleSarge on July 02, 2007, 05:35:11 PM

You all know there IS a CAP memorial at Arlington National Cemetary and at the National Museum of the USAF, right?

At Arlington, there is a small marker not too far from the visitor's center.  At the USAF museum there is a granite bench/monument just outside the doors on the north side of the lobby.

-SeattleSarge

Thanks for the info at the museum. I am there every year for encampment and did not know about it.  I'll be sure to show it to people next year.

James Shaw

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 02, 2007, 05:20:36 PM
May I publish this in my weekly newsletter?  You may PM me any infor you think might augment it.

Feel free to include it in your newsletter.
Jim Shaw

JC004

Quote from: SeattleSarge on July 02, 2007, 05:35:11 PM

-SeattleSarge

This Arlington memorial?

James Shaw

I am aware that there are some individual memorials to members lost. The biggest difference is that this one will have the members names listed on the memorial. After the structure is cimpleted we will start verifying all of the members killed in the line of duty and their names will be engraved on a brass name plage and added to the memorial. We do not discount the other memorials.
Jim Shaw

LtCol White

Quote from: caphistorian on July 03, 2007, 09:05:56 AM
I am aware that there are some individual memorials to members lost. The biggest difference is that this one will have the members names listed on the memorial. After the structure is cimpleted we will start verifying all of the members killed in the line of duty and their names will be engraved on a brass name plage and added to the memorial. We do not discount the other memorials.

Fine job here. Fitting honor to their memory.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

NYWG Historian

Has the criteria been determined as to what will constitute a member lost while on duty?

I ask because in the course of my research I've found evidence of a couple of NYWG members who lost their lives while on training missions during WWII but who were not recorded anywhere else that I could find.  For example, one pilot was killed while practicing dropping flour bombs, with his Squadron CC's approval.

Another died in a crash in Westchester, but is only vaguely referred to as being assigned to coastal patrol....it was unclear whether he was on duty at the time.
Peter J. Turecek, Major, CAP
Historian
New York Wing

James Shaw

The initial criteria has not been set in stone. We are in the process of doing that but havent completed anything. I would imagine that if it could be proven than they would qualify. My opinion is that it could be for almost any type of activity if they were on CAP time or doing CAP business. That would be the easy answer.

The brass plates will be done in such a way that they can be re-arranged if a new one has to be added.
Jim Shaw

SeattleSarge

Quote from: JC004 on July 03, 2007, 01:02:36 AM

This Arlington memorial?

What a great shot!  Thanks for posting...

-SeattleSarge

bosshawk

Major Shaw: you have done a beautiful job.  Thanks for your efforts.  I missed the CAP Memorial when I was at Arlington last month: wish that I had known that it was there.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SeattleSarge

Quote from: bosshawk on July 03, 2007, 10:53:47 PM
I missed the CAP Memorial when I was at Arlington last month: wish that I had known that it was there.

Sir, I've attached a map with the CAP marker indicated.  It's positoned next to the road, very close to a tree at that spot.

Maybe you can visit it on your next trip there.

Best regards,

-SeattleSarge

James Shaw

I have almost completed panel #3. I have to make the U-Boat look like it is under water and you wont be able to see that in a picture. I will be adding water splash along the ship sides and water waves around it. Enjoy!!
Jim Shaw

mikeylikey

That is just awesome!  You Sir have done the CAP a great service in creating this memorial.  I would absolutely donate to a fund to help with the costs of this memorial.  Is there one.......yet?
What's up monkeys?

James Shaw

If anyone would like to donate for this you are more than welcome to. Just send me a PM and I will give you the address. We appreciate any and all help.

Jim
Jim Shaw

James Shaw

I have finished two more of the panels of glass. I have one more piece of glass to complete. Comments are welcomed.
Jim Shaw