Main Menu

Sleeve Creases

Started by Adam B, March 21, 2018, 06:20:02 PM

Adam B

Prior versions of CAPM 39-1 used to state that the sleeves of the USAF blue uniform shirt should be creased, centered on the epilute.

I recently noticed that the newer manual has removed ALL mention of creases sleeves on the blue uniform.

Does anyone know if this removal was intentional?

Technically speaking, if any variation from this publication in prohibited, it would now be illegal to crease my blues sleeves.
  Doesn't seem right to me.

Adam

hamburgee

NCO chevrons are centered at the back of the epaluette, and they're creased through the center, so I'd put creases at the back as that's the common consensus (even though CAP NCOs are a rare breed). Honor guard centers on the middle of the epaluette for some reason, but only folks on honor guard should be doing that while they're doing honor guard duties.

Jester

If a sleeve is ironed properly, flattened with the seam at the bottom edge, the crease will be at the rear of the epaulet. Any other placement is dumb, regardless of what 39-1 says.

LSThiker

This is a result of wearing wing patches on the blues shirts.  The 1997 version did not state a location for the crease.  Thus, you had some people creasing at the natural position (just to the rear of the epaulet) and others in the center so that the wing patch were creased in the middle.  If you creased it at the natural position, the wing patches had some "funny" creases (disclaimer, I creased in the natural position).  In 2005, NHQ stated the crease will go in the center.  In the 2014, as we had removed wing patches, the location of the crease was removed.  The crease should go in the natural position of the shirt.