What to call a building

Started by Geber, February 28, 2018, 04:36:23 PM

Geber

A certain CAP campus at an airport has a hangar and a main building. The main building has a meeting room, offices for various posts like wing commander, air boss, ground boss, etc., and a communications room.

This might be called an emergency operations center (EOC), but if I understand ICS correctly, it's only an EOC during an ICS incident, and only after it has been designated as such by the IC or the authorized subordinate.

I see the term "mission base" thrown around, but I don't know what regulation or manual says what is and isn't a mission base. I also don't know if a building can be a mission base 365 days a year, or only during a mission.

There was another term I've heard, but I can't remember it exactly.

So what should I call the building, or the campus, when no mission or incident is in progress?

grunt82abn

Command Post, Headquarters, tactical operations center. Few off the top of my head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

PHall

The CAP building, which is probably what everybody else on the airport calls it.

Geber

Quote from: grunt82abn on February 28, 2018, 04:39:21 PM
Command Post, Headquarters, tactical operations center. Few off the top of my head

"Command post" is clearly inconsistent with ICS. The command post is where the IC is. If there is no incident in progress, there is no IC, and therefor no command post.

During our most recent mission, the IC was a state police  sergeant, and the command post was his cruiser.

grunt82abn

Incident Command Post is what we call it during an actual emergency, and that's where the IC should be, at least that's what we called it at our last big fire. This is clearly in line with ICS.

Sean Riley, TSGT

LSThiker

Quote from: Geber on February 28, 2018, 04:36:23 PM
So what should I call the building, or the campus, when no mission or incident is in progress?

A building...........or whatever you want.  Call it the CAP building, Squadron/Wing headquarters, Building 1, Building 2, EOC, ICP, TOC, or whatever.  This is not rocket science.  No need to put more than 5 seconds of thought into this.  Move your time to more important matters.

Ned

You could name it after a notable personage.  Perhaps the "The Abe Froman Center for Volunteer Excellence."

Or something similar.

sardak

QuoteThis might be called an emergency operations center (EOC), but if I understand ICS correctly, it's only an EOC during an ICS
From the FEMA ICS glossary:

Emergency  Operations Centers (EOCs):   The physical  location at  which  the coordination  of  information and resources  to support  domestic  incident  management  activities  normally  takes  place.   An EOC  may  be a temporary  facility  or  may  be located  in  a more central  or  permanently  established  facility,  perhaps  at  a higher  level  of  organization  within a jurisdiction.   EOCs  may  be organized by  major  functional  disciplines (e.g.,  fire,  law  enforcement,  and medical  services),  by  jurisdiction (e.g.,  Federal,  State,  regional,  county, city,  tribal),  or  some combination thereof.

Incident Command Post (ICP): The FIELD location where the primary ICS functions are performed. The ICP may be co-located with the Incident Base or other incident facilities.

Mike

PHall

You guys are waaayyyyyy over thinking this.

grunt82abn

Quote from: Ned on February 28, 2018, 09:37:53 PM
You could name it after a notable personage.  Perhaps the "The Abe Froman Center for Volunteer Excellence."

Or something similar.
I just caught onto this!!![emoji23]🤣[emoji23] Sausage King of Chicago

Sean Riley, TSGT

Geber

Quote from: PHall on February 28, 2018, 11:11:01 PM

During Tropical Storm Irene both the Rutland Vermont state police barracks (which was a 911 answering point and dispatch center) and the state EOC 75 miles away were flooded and had to be evacuated. So there was a ton of radio traffic about the actual, improvised EOC vs. the flooded EOC (which was now part of the problem). So my concern is anything but hypothetical. I was not a member of CAP at the time, but was quite busy with amateur radio and the Red Cross.

SarDragon

[Name of the airport] Headquarters, or [Name of the airport] Base. Simple.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Geber on February 28, 2018, 06:07:59 PM

"Command post" is clearly inconsistent with ICS. The command post is where the IC is. If there is no incident in progress, there is no IC, and therefor no command post.

During our most recent mission, the IC was a state police  sergeant, and the command post was his cruiser.

I have been the IC in a Police role many times where the CP was my shoes.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

ColonelJack

You could always just call it "George."

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

grunt82abn

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on March 01, 2018, 07:04:03 AM
Quote from: Geber on February 28, 2018, 06:07:59 PM

I have been the IC in a Police role many times where the CP was my shoes.

I hear you! It's usually the chiefs buggy for us

Sean Riley, TSGT

TheSkyHornet

A Command Post (CP) is not necessarily reflective of an Incident Command Post. The term "Command Post" applies to the controlling center for command activities, such as an Operational Command Post, a Contingency Command Post, Headquarters Command Post, etc.

Ours is considered "HQ." We don't really have a designated 'command area' that 'runs the show;' however, if we did, it would be the HQCP.

Geber

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on March 01, 2018, 04:57:25 PM
A Command Post (CP) is not necessarily reflective of an Incident Command Post. The term "Command Post" applies to the controlling center for command activities, such as an Operational Command Post, a Contingency Command Post, Headquarters Command Post, etc.

Ours is considered "HQ." We don't really have a designated 'command area' that 'runs the show;' however, if we did, it would be the HQCP.

Thanks, that's a point I overlooked.

from the ICS glossary at https://training.fema.gov/emiweb/is/icsresource/assets/icsglossary.pdf:

"Command Post: See Incident Command Post."

"Incident Command Post (ICP): The field location at which the primary tactical-level, on-scene incident command functions are performed. The ICP may be collocated with the incident base or other incident facilities and is normally identified by a green rotating or flashing light."

etodd

Agree. I would just call it the "CAP Senior Coffee House & Cadet Party Barn"
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

grunt82abn

Quote from: etodd on March 01, 2018, 08:48:22 PM

Agree. I would just call it the "CAP Senior Coffee House & Cadet Party Barn"
That's another nice one! I guess it sounds better than what we call our station #1, "The House of Hate"

Sean Riley, TSGT

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006