No OE program in my wing. Am I hosed, or can I participate in another way?

Started by Holding Pattern, January 07, 2018, 01:03:20 AM

Holding Pattern

After sending in my OE app a month ago, I have now been told my wing has no OE program. This saddens me as I think the program would be very useful to help me expand my CAP abilities and knowledge. If my wing has no program, does that mean it is impossible for me to participate? I'm more than willing to work with a neighboring wing on the administrative side of the program if that is what it takes, or if I need to go direct to region, that would work as well.

I am looking forward to the responses that will help me move to a yes answer on participating in this program.

Thank you all in advance.

darkmatter

Holding Pattern

Quote from: darkmatter on January 07, 2018, 01:21:39 AM
Do you mean AE? Not sure what OE could stand for.

Organizational Excellence. Link in first use of acronym.

Eclipse

In most wings OE died a heat death.  Word I've gotten is the entire program
is under review and there may be new jumpstarts.

Why is OE important?

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

If you are that enthused .... Start with Chapter 2 of the manual you linked. Get her rolling ....
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on January 07, 2018, 02:19:40 AM
If you are that enthused .... Start with Chapter 2 of the manual you linked. Get her rolling ....

It doesn't work that way.

OE can only be appointed and approved by the Wing CC.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on January 07, 2018, 02:20:35 AM
Quote from: etodd on January 07, 2018, 02:19:40 AM

It doesn't work that way.

OE can only be appointed and approved by the Wing CC.

That was my point by saying to start it up. Meaning, get others that are interested, and show Wing there are folks ready for it. Maybe Wing CC doesn't know there is interest. A little prodding always helps.

Or ... it may turn out that Mordecai is the only one interested. In which case it'll not go far.

Never know until you try.  :)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

FW

^Good luck with starting an OE program.  Understand there will be no support from higher HQ and little support from below. The problem is the labor intensity of the program and amount of effort placed on individual members.  Most members are too busy to be mentored, and most mentors have too much to deal with in their own day to day affairs.  No matter how well intentioned, the program will, most likely, wither. 

My suggestion for those interested in moving above the unit level: enjoy progressing in your PD program; participate in wing, region, and national conferences; get mission qualified; put yourself out there; play well with others, and end up finding yourself as a commander of your wing....  >:D

Holding Pattern

After reaching out for support via the custhelp website, I have received permission to join a program in another wing pending permission from:

1. My wing commander
2. The wing commander of another wing with an active program

With that in mind...

Can anyone tell me which wings currently have an existing program?