Main Menu

Award entry into eservices

Started by darkmatter, December 10, 2017, 12:50:04 AM

darkmatter

So I'm trying to use eservices to go and entire in awards and decoration I have but I see that the service award section doesint have awards like the achievement or the com com. How would I go about uploading awards like these into eservices?

Eclipse

That's done through the "Award Recommendation" module, which is only open to Personnel Officers and
Commanders.

You'll need to provide substantiation of historical awards to your staff who will then enter them for approval.

Best bet is to scan / photograph the certificate(s) and 120(s) and email them to your Personnel Officer.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pace

Any member has access to the awards recommendation module. I have no duty assignments and no permissions at the moment, but I have it. I can submit recommendations (new and historic) and check my submissions. Just no approvals module.
Lt Col, CAP

TheSkyHornet

Are you talking about recommending someone for an award, or updating a profile with previously awarded items?

eServices was updated recently to permit members to go in and update their profiles with awards and decorations they had already received. It's still not perfect, but a further step away from paper.

darkmatter

I'm uploading my awards it update my information

TheSkyHornet

Gotcha.

So this is a CAP-ism.

Awards will be added from the electronic submission process. You can't add those. All you can add are service awards (AFA Cadet, Encampment, Recruiter, Search/Find, etc.). You can't add commendations or "actual" awards. 

darkmatter

So all I can do is ask my commander to go in an add/update my record?

Eclipse

Quote from: darkmatter on December 10, 2017, 02:22:16 AM
So all I can do is ask my commander to go in an add/update my record?

Yes - he, or more appropriately the Personnel officer, will need to enter each one as a "historical award",
use the dates the award covered, and include substantiation such as a scan of the certificate, and / or the 120.

It then needs to be approved up to and by the same echelon as the original award.

"That Others May Zoom"

ßτε

You do not need anyone else to enter them. All members have access to the Awards Recommendation module.

After they are entered they will need to be approved up the chain to the original approving authority level.

TheSkyHornet

As the above stated, it's basically a "re-award" of the award you already received. It's not going to be documented like a subsequent award; it just needs to end up in the system, and that's how it gets done.

CAP has finally caught up to the military in regard to undocumented awards. The next step will be sending CAP members to the VA to schedule and appointment for a follow-up appointment.

darkmatter

personally i feel it could be streamlined better

NIN

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 10, 2017, 03:50:53 PM
The next step will be sending CAP members to the VA to schedule and appointment for a follow-up appointment.

Ouch. We're volunteers! :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Spam

Radar got the personnel clerk duties down perfectly (with LTC Blake at least, it didn't work with the RA COL Potter):

Henry: What am I signing, Radar?
Radar: Uh, well, it's concerning that thing you don't want to know anything about, sir. You know, the reason why you're not here today?
Henry: You want me to sign this pass?
Radar: Yes, sir.
Henry: Someone going somewhere?
Radar: No, sir.
Henry: Then why does someone who's not going anywhere need a pass?
Radar: Well, if I explain it to you, then you'll know.
Henry: Yeah. (signs)

Radar: OK, sir, you sign this top form, then initial all the rest.
Henry: Initial, Radar?
Radar: Oh, yes, sir. Your initial signifies that instead of signing, you initialed. Then you have to sign this form, which states that you merely initialed the forms that required signing. Then after you've signed you put your initial where you signed so that people will know that you OK'd your signature with your initial.
Henry: Radar, tell me the truth. Do you understand any of this?
Radar: Uh, I try not to, sir. It slows up the work.

and:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZPLkNd4kXKo" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

V/r
Spam

SarDragon

Quote from: darkmatter on December 10, 2017, 04:18:45 PM

OK, you have identified a problem. What is your proposed plan to solve it?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FyreDragn

There are quite a few things in eServices that "could be better" but this is CAP and it will take awhile for the processes and website to be updated to be able to make it more streamlined.

It is what it is, unless you can come up with a solution and present it.
Deputy Commander
Information Technology Officer - Master
Professional Development Officer - Technician
Middle GA Senior Squadron

Eclipse

How, exactly?

The records should be in your personnel file, pull them, scan them upload, move on.

It's something your personnel staff should already have a plan to do, but regardless it's not exactly onerous.

"That Others May Zoom"

darkmatter

After I posted that I figured it all. All good thanks for the help

TheSkyHornet

That's virtually everything. That's the whole point of "continuous improvement." There's always a better way out there once we learn how.

Quote from: SarDragon on December 10, 2017, 08:44:44 PM

OK, you have identified a problem. What is your proposed plan to solve it?

It's not always the responsibility of the person who identifies an issue to come up with the solution.

Quote from: Eclipse on December 11, 2017, 02:58:11 PM

How, exactly?

The records should be in your personnel file, pull them, scan them upload, move on.

It's something your personnel staff should already have a plan to do, but regardless it's not exactly onerous.

This is key. The fact is that the Commander needs to make sure this happens. But not every unit is master at personnel/admin management.

I'd bet half the members out there (probably more) don't even know what ribbons they have and where they're tracked. They just know someone handed it to them at some ceremony at the end of a unit meeting.

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 11, 2017, 09:43:01 PM
I'd bet half the members out there (probably more) don't even know what ribbons they have and where they're tracked. They just know someone handed it to them at some ceremony at the end of a unit meeting.

Sadly this is far too true. 

Going back a bit, there were a number of high-level CC's who were fond of handing cadets Comm-Comms
on the spot with no documentation, then the kid returns to the unit and "you got a what now?"

"That Others May Zoom"

darkmatter

QuoteGoing back a bit, there were a number of high-level CC's who were fond of handing cadets Comm-Comms
on the spot with no documentation, then the kid returns to the unit and "you got a what now?"

See I have a com com with no fourm in my record but on my wall I have the certificate signed and everything so I'm pretty sure I'm covered