Mitchell Award

Started by Ravenwings, December 09, 2017, 04:17:21 AM

Ravenwings

My Cadet just passed his Mitchell. It has been entered into eservices.  My question, will NHQ send their certificate, or do we print it for his presentation and pinning Ceremony?

Spaceman3750

It will be mailed to the squadron.

rbi90vmi

My son recently earned his Mitchell as well. It arrived about a week and a half later. We used a substitute for his promotion ceremony about 3 days before it arrived.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Eclipse

The Mitchell award is separate from the promotion per se.

If the stars align, that's fine, but a cadet should not be delayed their promotion or
pinning just to present the certificate, especially in light of the fact that the Mitchell
should be presented by a Group CC or higher, which sometimes takes more then happenstance coordination.

FWIW, the last one we did arrived in about a week.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

I normally process all promotions on the 4th Tuesday promotion night, but the Mitchell I process immediately to get the certificate in time for the promotion night. YMMV

rbi90vmi

I process approvals as soon as all requirements are met that way their time in grade starts. We recognize all that promoted on the 4th meeting of the month.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Eclipse

Yes, that's important, processing them is one thing, people get busy, but the effective date should be the date
they completed the last task.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

As answered above, NHQ will send the certificate out. It is not framed, just the certificate and summary letter.

We provide a certificate for every promotion to recognize the advancement in grade. For C/2d Lt, we'll present the promotion certificate and pin on the new insignia because we cannot guarantee as to when the Mitchell Award certificate will actually arrive in the mail. In the meantime, we get a nice wood frame for the certificate for when it does arrive. Once we have it, we put the award in, tape the letter to the back, and present it at a subsequent meeting.

I recommend not withholding a promotion ceremony just because you don't have the award certificate yet.

kwe1009

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 10, 2017, 12:59:41 AM
As answered above, NHQ will send the certificate out. It is not framed, just the certificate and summary letter.

We provide a certificate for every promotion to recognize the advancement in grade. For C/2d Lt, we'll present the promotion certificate and pin on the new insignia because we cannot guarantee as to when the Mitchell Award certificate will actually arrive in the mail. In the meantime, we get a nice wood frame for the certificate for when it does arrive. Once we have it, we put the award in, tape the letter to the back, and present it at a subsequent meeting.

I recommend not withholding a promotion ceremony just because you don't have the award certificate yet.

This is exactly the way it should be done.  My squadron gave a certificate for each promotion (thanks to SIMS).  We had a ceremony once per month but all promotions were dated on the day they were achieved.  Once the Mitchell or higher milestone arrived we coordinated with the Group/Wing/Region CC to present the certificate.  I have seen too many squadrons not pin on the rank until the certificate arrives and that is just wrong.  Sometimes (rarely now thankfully) it may take a month or more for the certificate to arrive.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: kwe1009 on December 11, 2017, 03:54:23 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 10, 2017, 12:59:41 AM

This is exactly the way it should be done.  My squadron gave a certificate for each promotion (thanks to SIMS).  We had a ceremony once per month but all promotions were dated on the day they were achieved.  Once the Mitchell or higher milestone arrived we coordinated with the Group/Wing/Region CC to present the certificate.  I have seen too many squadrons not pin on the rank until the certificate arrives and that is just wrong.  Sometimes (rarely now thankfully) it may take a month or more for the certificate to arrive.

That's the way my squadron conducted itself prior to my joining and assumption as CDC. All too often did I see cadets, who promoted weeks prior, not being permitted to wear their correct insignia or use their correct/current title. Promotions were always conducted on "Blues days" (4th week of every month). If that month had a meeting cancellation for that week for whatever reason, the promotion was pushed until the end of the following month. And if someone was waiting on an award to come from NHQ (e.g., Mitchell), the promotion was held up until the certificate came in the mail. Furthermore, with the  C/SrA "Feik" promotions, our Commander at the time was hellbent on getting a letter from Mary Feik to present with the promotion (not uncommon). But the Commander would hold up the promotion until the letter was received. I found the whole thing to be absolutely ridiculous.

Sure, it's precious, sweet, and a once-in-a-lifetime moment for cadets to get presented with an award. You want it to be special. But at the same time, with most promotions (e.g., C/TSgt), nobody really cares. The cadet wants to wear the new insignia and be called the proper grade that he/she has earned.

This is a little bit sidetracked from the OP's question. It's juts a subject that really frosts my cookies.