Who wears the ABU boonie hat?

Started by jfkspotting, October 01, 2017, 03:06:27 AM

jfkspotting

Any of you wear the ABU boonie hat? I've never seen it worn but considering buying one.

audiododd

Speaking for Big Blue, the bookie hat is only worn in the deployed environment.  It is not authorized for wear when you are not deployed.

As for CAP, the wording is vague in the ABU wear instructions, but I believe I read that "commander's intent" was that it was not allowed in CAP as well. Someone else with better national knowledge needs to chime in on that.

At a minimum, once CAP puts out an update to 39-1, they should make sure the intent is clear by either specifically mentioning the bookie cap or calling the "ABU Cap" the "ABU Patrol Cap" but I ain't holding my breath for an updated reg anytime soon. :-)

Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

arajca

I'm going to do something silly...

Given the resistance the AF has toward CAP wearing the boonie hat with the BDU, I would say don't. Even playing the safety card didn't work.

Gunsotsu

No one does.

Why is "if it ain't in the reg/manual, it ain't authorized" so hard to understand? Why does
everything have to be stated explicitly?

See CAPM 39-1 1.1.2.1

Abby.L

From ABU ICL...: "Headgear. The ABU cap is the only authorized headgear with this uniform. Headgear will be worn
outdoors at all times, unless in a designated "no hat" area. Senior member officers will wear light silver, or for 2nd
Lt and Majors gold, embroidered rank insignia on dark blue cloth centered on the front of the cap. Cadet officers
will wear embroidered grade insignia on dark blue cloth centered on the front of the cap."

So, strictly speaking, it is a good thing that you've never seen one worn, as that would imply improper wear of the uniform.

Only time I've worn mine in the Air Force was when I was in the field at SERE, so almost all regs went out the window there.

And also what Arajca said. It would be silly for the AF to be so accepting of the boonie cap with this new uniform when they were so adamantly against it for the old one.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

arajca

Quote from: Gunsotsu on October 01, 2017, 04:01:51 AM
No one does.

Why is "if it ain't in the reg/manual, it ain't authorized" so hard to understand? Why does
everything have to be stated explicitly?

See CAPM 39-1 1.1.2.1
The ABU is not in CAPM 39-1.

Gunsotsu

Quote from: arajca on October 01, 2017, 04:56:17 AM

ICLs are part of the document they support. So, yes, it is.

PHall

Quote from: Gunsotsu on October 01, 2017, 02:54:07 PM
Quote from: arajca on October 01, 2017, 04:56:17 AM

ICLs are part of the document they support. So, yes, it is.

But the ABU authorization wasn't even an ICL to 39-1. It was just a memo from National Headquarters.
If it was an ICL it would say it was an ICL. This letter didn't say that.

Okayish Aviator

I bought one thinking in line with safety in the hot Florida sun, however I haven't had enough reason to use it yet, and to be honest I'm not sure I will. I like the idea of being able to use it in the field, but I'm not attached to it. I use it more in my out of uniform time, and I'm perfectly happy continuing to do so if it's never something that becomes allowed.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

JayT

Didn't OP just post something about how wearing a dress jacket makes people loom like they're just looking for attention?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Shawn W.

Quote from: Gunsotsu on October 01, 2017, 04:01:51 AM

Why is "if it ain't in the reg/manual, it ain't authorized" so hard to understand?

Because that isn't fun or "tacticool"....  This reminds of another trend I saw years and years ago... Ranger Rolling hats... Wasn't in the regs, but it was "cool" and also wrong. There's one thing I am glad, at least in my opinion, that has mostly fallen by the wayside.

NIN

Or the inverse, which has not died (yet): the cardboard oval stuck in the top of the BDU/ABU cap... General Ridgeway would be proud..
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Abby.L

Quote from: JayT on October 01, 2017, 09:30:01 PM
Didn't OP just post something about how wearing a dress jacket makes people loom like they're just looking for attention?

He did.

Man, I'm getting a Cyborg 2.0 vibe from this guy.

"Wen do we get teh OCPees?"
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

SarDragon

Yup, time for the fork. It's done.

Click.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)