Main Menu

Award Applications

Started by FNelson, September 18, 2017, 04:50:17 PM

FNelson

I am a cadet who is approaching my second year of service and the 60 hours I need for my volunteer service ribbon and I need help understanding the application processes to get recognized for both achievements. I was reading some past posts on this site and figured out that I needed to fill out a CAPF 2A which I began to do, but then I began to have some trouble understanding how to proceed. I selected the boxes for the Red Service Ribbon and the Cadet Community Service Ribbon in section III and the section at the bottom of the first page for the signatures. Now that I have done this do I need to just turn it to my squadron commander for approval or do I need to make sure it gets to other people higher up on the chain of command (Wing Level?).
C/2d Lt. Forest Nelson
Santa Fe Composite Squadron "Flying Tigers"
"A legacy of Honor"

Spam

Hi FNelson.

First, you need to do a separate Form 2A for each award as they're two separate issues. (Yay - two ribbons rather than one, right).

First, do one for the 2 year service award (red service ribbon). Be sure to list your effective dates of service (join date to present) documenting same. Don't submit until you meet the criteria (2 years).

Then do one for the community service award. In the same manner, list in the remarks section all your hours, and attach any appropriate documentation (letters of reference, etc.) to substantiate that you've met the requirement. You must have that documentation of volunteer service outside of CAP. See: http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1431/kw/community%20service/session/L3RpbWUvMTUwNTc1Mzg2NS9zaWQvbkxuM1kqc24%3D

Then submit - to your SQUADRON.  Best of luck.

V/r
Spam

Eclipse

As a cadet, you should not be filling out the forms, ala Radar o'Reilly, your Squadron PDO should be doing that.

You can mention the 2-years while you are submitting the substantiation for the CSR, they should do the rest.

I also would not suggest combining disparate awards on the same form, as it's possible one or the other might get
denied for a legitimate reason, in which case both would be, again, this is a job for the PDO.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on September 18, 2017, 05:24:17 PM
As a cadet, you should not be filling out the forms, ala Radar o'Reilly, your Squadron PDO should be doing that.

You can mention the 2-years while you are submitting the substantiation for the CSR, they should do the rest.

I also would not suggest combining disparate awards on the same form, as it's possible one or the other might get
denied for a legitimate reason, in which case both would be, again, this is a job for the PDO.
Eclipse, you know darn well not every unit's DA or DP stays on top of these things. There is nothing wrong with a cadet filling out the forms. Also, the PDO does not submit awards for cadets, that is the DA, DP, or CDC's job.

FNelson, good for you to track these things and making sure you receive the awards you have earned.

Eclipse

Just because "not everyone is on top of it" doesn't make it the responsibility of the member(s)
when you're trying to set proper expectations.

There's nothing wrong with initiative, but there's also such a thing as "someone else's job".

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

PDO doing cadet forms? You mean the Senior Member Professional Development Officer?

kwe1009

Honestly, the cadet just needs to talk to their chain of command.  The 2A could be done for all anyone knows. 

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on September 18, 2017, 06:49:32 PM
PDO doing cadet forms? You mean the Senior Member Professional Development Officer?

Is that a title now?  I wasn't aware there was a distinction.

Granted, primary duties are substantially around seniors, however, as per CAPR 20-1, Page 35:

Assist unit members in proper completion and processing of forms if needed.

Correctly prepare documentation in support of training awards for the commander's review.

Submit applications for awards, ensure they are processed in a timely fashion and presented appropriately

I see no "Senior-only" distinction.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

FNelson: recommend you ignore the usual and inevitable byplay here...  ::)

Good for you for taking personal responsibility for your CAP career. Learning self reliance helps you now, and helps you later, as a cadet officer, when you'll be doing CAP Staff Duty Analyses to see how senior member officers "should" be doing their jobs.

Again, best of luck.

V/r
Spam

Luis R. Ramos

I agree with Eclipse on what he posted, except what he posted about cadets should not be preparing 2a's. Why shouldn't cadets initiate 2a's?

QuoteFrom 39-3:

10. Procedures for Recommending Decorations.

a. Who May Initiate Recommendations. 
Any CAP member having knowledge of an act or service meriting recognition may initiate a recommendation for an award, except that awards concerning commanders must be initiated at a higher command level or by the appointing authority for CSAG members.
     b. How to Initiate Recommendations.  Recommendations will be submitted through channels to National Headquarters in two copies on CAP Form 120, Recommendation for Decoration.  Extreme care should be exercised to ensure that all items are complete.
            (1) Justification will be included in the narrative statement and should be specific as to inclusive dates, places, and facts relating to the heroism, achievement or service.  The narrative must clearly portray how the unit's or individual's achievements meet or exceed the criteria set forth in paragraph 9.
            (2) A proposed citation to accompany the award will be attached if the Silver Medal of Valor, Bronze Medal of Valor or Distinguished Service Award is being recommended.  (See Attachment 4.)

In this section it states "Any CAP member." I interpret that to mean that cadets should also be able to initiate recommendations.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Fubar

I'm pretty sure we lost the cadet at "Radar O'Reilly"

EMT-83

Quote from: Eclipse on September 18, 2017, 07:04:07 PM

Granted, primary duties are substantially around seniors, however, as per CAPR 20-1, Page 35:

Correctly prepare documentation in support of training awards for the commander's review.

Submit applications for awards, ensure they are processed in a timely fashion and presented appropriately

Ah, the elusive Cadet Professional Development Program.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: EMT-83 on September 18, 2017, 08:14:06 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 18, 2017, 07:04:07 PM

Ah, the elusive Cadet Professional Development Program.

I'll bite. Who does the forms for cadets then?

TheSkyHornet

I see this as a function of the Personnel Officer, not the PDO.

EMT-83

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 18, 2017, 09:00:44 PM

A cadet squadron isn't required to have either.

Vegas1972

As the CDC, I recently tasked one of our newly minted C/ 2dLt's on the cadet staff as a Flight Commanders(and also my daughter, but that's not relevant to this discussion), to research what reg covers Red Service Ribbons, what form to use to request same, and fill out said form for herself and turn in to me or personnel officer for processing.    I did so so that she would have to dig into where to find the regs, find the proper reg, and learn how to take some basic responsibility for herself.  Also, the next time someone else on staff or a cadet in her flight asks about an award, or where to find a reg, she might be better equipped to provide an answer and serve on a staff in a cadet run organization.   IMO, most cadets who are reaching the 2 year mark should be of a rank and maturity that we can ask this sort of responsibility of them.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.", Sgt. John M. Stryker.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on September 18, 2017, 10:02:05 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 18, 2017, 09:00:44 PM

A cadet squadron isn't required to have either.

FTFY - Technically true, but a DP, DA, nor PDO is required anywhere.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

I try to take care of every piece of paperwork the cadet side generates. As CDC I task the cadet staff with keeping up on stuff like service ribbons. They route them to me and I route them up from there.   They partner with the senior admin and personnel officer for assistance.

I drill into their heads that administration stuff like submitting awards is a huge part of how a leader takes care of their people.

SarDragon

Quote from: CAPR 20-1Each unit commander should develop and post a unit organizational chart indicating the name and grade of the member filling each position. In smaller units, one person may fill more than one position; however, someone should be responsible for each task outlined in each position description so the entire unit is aware of who is responsible for which duties.
Emphasis mine.

Admin Officer is listed as a primary position in every one of the org charts, with Personnel Officer being optional. Awards come under the primary purview of the Personnel Officer (see below).

Quote from: CAPR 20-1Personnel Officer

Manages and administers the CAP personnel program and associated administrative procedures to include:
Membership records and applications
Confidential screening (FBI fingerprint cards)
Organizational actions (charters, deactivations, etc.)
Appointments
Promotions and demotions
Awards and decorations
Duty assignments
Transfers
Retirements
Membership terminations
Uniforms
The personnel officer at all levels should be familiar with the Constitution and Bylaws, CAPP 200 and CAP directives in the 20, 35, and 39 series.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

kwe1009

Quote from: Jester on September 19, 2017, 12:13:25 AM
I try to take care of every piece of paperwork the cadet side generates. As CDC I task the cadet staff with keeping up on stuff like service ribbons. They route them to me and I route them up from there.   They partner with the senior admin and personnel officer for assistance.

I drill into their heads that administration stuff like submitting awards is a huge part of how a leader takes care of their people.

This is exactly what I try to do as well.  If you are truly trying to teach cadets how to be leaders, some of that training must be about the admin side as well.