New AF Service Coat?

Started by Jester, September 12, 2017, 08:16:50 PM

Jester

Reddit rumor is that this is supposed to be the direction of the new service coat if the field likes it (without the extra Honor Guard flair of course).

I love it, and will gladly retire my old one as soon as this one becomes available (and authorized for CAP).

Commo

What uniform coat is that in the picture, and what color is it?

It's hard to tell in the picture if it's  dark navy, charcoal, black, etc.  The stripes at the cuff resemble the Army dress blues before the blue uniform became the class A.

Commo

Eclipse

So back to "I Dream of Jeannie" but with shiny buttons and a darker cloth...

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on September 12, 2017, 09:53:49 PM
So back to "I Dream of Jeannie" but with shiny buttons and a darker cloth...

The "Tony Nelson" coat was the shade 1084 I wore as a cadet - the bottom pockets were on the outside.  This looks like the coat we had just prior to what we have now, but in a darker fabric.

The darker fabric IS just for honor guards, which means just going back to the previous coat, only in the current shade 1625.

Which I would be totally happy with.

Jester

Quote from: Commo on September 12, 2017, 09:46:17 PM
What uniform coat is that in the picture, and what color is it?

It's hard to tell in the picture if it's  dark navy, charcoal, black, etc.  The stripes at the cuff resemble the Army dress blues before the blue uniform became the class A.

Commo

USAF Honor Guard. They have all that stuff on there, sewn in creases, etc. required by reg. Silver braid down the pants, extra silver trim on the service cap, different cap device, etc.

N6RVT

The current honor guard uniform is all thats left of the "Informal Black" which was the USAF equivalent of the army dress blue.  When the regular service blue went to the McPeak style the honor guard didn't change and kept the style of the existing coat.

Which unfortunately leads me to believe that this is just a wishful thinking rumor.

Matthew Congrove

Lt. Col. Matthew Congrove, CAP

N6RVT

Quote from: Matthew Congrove on September 13, 2017, 05:25:01 AM
The WW1 design was overdoing it.  The WW2 "Hap Arnold" heritage uniform was perfect, though

THRAWN

Overdoing it? Tell it to the Marines...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

arajca

Quote from: THRAWN on September 13, 2017, 05:58:47 PM
For the Marines, it's long been a part of their history. For the Air Force, not so much...

THRAWN

Quote from: arajca on September 13, 2017, 06:02:31 PM
For the Marines, it's long been a part of their history. For the Air Force, not so much...

Really? The uniform that is in the photo was called the Mitchell coat. Wanna venture a guess as to why?
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Jester

As a replacement for the service coat, which it was intended for, it was a bit much for everyday wear.  I can't imagine a CSAF wearing it to testify before Congress alongside the other JCS members. 

As a separate dress uniform, maybe, but the last the the AF needs is additional uniforms.

arajca

Quote from: THRAWN on September 13, 2017, 06:03:43 PM

Really? The uniform that is in the photo was called the Mitchell coat. Wanna venture a guess as to why?
And when was the last time the AF had that as a uniform? Heck, when was the last time the Army had that as a uniform?

THRAWN

Quote from: arajca on September 13, 2017, 06:42:37 PM

And when was the last time the AF had that as a uniform? Heck, when was the last time the Army had that as a uniform?

Doesn't really matter, as it has "long been a part of their history".
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

FallenTX

Quote from: Jester on September 12, 2017, 08:16:50 PM

Reddit rumor is that this is supposed to be the direction of the new service coat if the field likes it (without the extra Honor Guard flair of course).

I love it, and will gladly retire my old one as soon as this one becomes available (and authorized for CAP).

Do you happen to have a source link for that thread? I'd be curious to see it in context.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jester

Quote from: FallenTX on September 14, 2017, 12:40:33 PM
Quote from: Jester on September 12, 2017, 08:16:50 PM

Do you happen to have a source link for that thread? I'd be curious to see it in context.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.reddit.com/r/AirForce/comments/6zotqb/new_honor_guard_uniform/?st=J7KGIUXO&sh=a71b13aa

jeders

Quote from: THRAWN on September 13, 2017, 06:44:04 PM
Quote from: arajca on September 13, 2017, 06:42:37 PM

Doesn't really matter, as it has "long been a part of their history".

Long been a part of the history is not the same as "was a part of the history a long time ago."
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

kwe1009

https://www.reddit.com/r/AirForce/comments/6zotqb/new_honor_guard_uniform/?st=J7KGIUXO&sh=a71b13aa

So one of the responses on that thread is "Last I heard the idea was to have the AF HG wear it and see what the rest of the Force thought and if it was liked we'd switch"

I don't recall a time when AF leadership cared about what the members thought of a possible uniform change.  I was in during the McPeak days and saw the dress uniform go from military to USAir pilot. 

/Rant
The CMSAF came and spoke at my Airman Leadership School class as was field testing the new service uniform.  Everyone in the class hated it and told him (the white stripes, no collar brass, stripes on sleeves for officer rank, no name tag, etc) that is looked like crap and not a military uniform.  His response was "this is the uniform we are going with and you don't have to like it but you will have to wear it."  Pure leadership there.  He then went on to berate on of my classmates because he didn't want to join the NCO club because he didn't have the money for the dues.  The CMSAF response to that was, "get a part-time job or get promoted.  If you aren't a member of the NCO club you are basically a dirt bag Airman."  Yes, the CMSAF called someone a dirt bag Airman in front of about 20 people for not joining the NCO club.  /Rant over

THRAWN

Quote from: kwe1009 on September 14, 2017, 02:45:29 PM

So one of the responses on that thread is "Last I heard the idea was to have the AF HG wear it and see what the rest of the Force thought and if it was liked we'd switch"

I don't recall a time when AF leadership cared about what the members thought of a possible uniform change.  I was in during the McPeak days and saw the dress uniform go from military to USAir pilot. 

/Rant
The CMSAF came and spoke at my Airman Leadership School class as was field testing the new service uniform.  Everyone in the class hated it and told him (the white stripes, no collar brass, stripes on sleeves for officer rank, no name tag, etc) that is looked like crap and not a military uniform.  His response was "this is the uniform we are going with and you don't have to like it but you will have to wear it."  Pure leadership there.  He then went on to berate on of my classmates because he didn't want to join the NCO club because he didn't have the money for the dues.  The CMSAF response to that was, "get a part-time job or get promoted.  If you aren't a member of the NCO club you are basically a dirt bag Airman."  Yes, the CMSAF called someone a dirt bag Airman in front of about 20 people for not joining the NCO club.  /Rant over

If it's the one I'm thinking of, he was a prime example of all the wrongs with the SAC-itude....
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: THRAWN on September 14, 2017, 02:49:48 PM
Quote from: kwe1009 on September 14, 2017, 02:45:29 PM

/Rant

If it's the one I'm thinking of, he was a prime example of all the wrongs with the SAC-itude....

Well the timeline is pretty solidly right pre-McPeak uniform.