Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2017, 12:36:13 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Announcements  |  Topic: National Conference Is Still On
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: National Conference Is Still On  (Read 1239 times)
NIN
VIP

Unit: of issue

« on: August 27, 2017, 02:42:11 PM »

For those wondering, Mr. Salvador, the COO, put the following out yesterday this morning [edit: getting my days messed up] to the HQ staff, presenters, etc:

Good morning everyone.  KC Jones is in San Antonio and he reports that the city has avoided the heavy rains that were forecast for yesterday and today.  The flights to San Antonio from Atlanta are all showing “on time” so we’re not anticipating any travel delays due to TS Harvey.

I know many members have expressed concern about the weather in San Antonio.  If you get calls or emails, please tell them all scheduled events for Tuesday through the rest of the week will go on as planned.  We will send an update to all attendees later today.

Please travel safely.  See you in sunny San Antonio!   :)

The National Conference 2017 page here: https://www.capmembers.com/events/national_conference/
has similar information:

Hurricane Harvey Update:  Civil Air Patrol leadership and staff are in constant communication with the hotel and onsite CAP staff about the weather situation in San Antonio.  We are also closely monitoring the weather in the area.  All FEMA classes for the event have been cancelled because the instructors and some attendees will be supporting hurricane relief efforts.

We do not anticipate any other interruptions to the conference events.   We will continue to monitor the situation and will notify all attendees via email if any changes are made.

If you have any questions or concerns, please email events@capnhq.gov

So thats the latest skinny. 

My travel to San Antonio, scheduled for today, got bumped to tomorrow due to WN CXL'ing our MDW-SAT leg yesterday. When I called the hotel to adjust my reservation, they indicated that they were waiving the usual "within 48 hrs" fees because of the situation (not sure how long that will go on). The young lady I spoke to also said that it "wasn't that bad, really" there in San Antonio.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 02:53:00 PM by NIN » Logged
Darin Ninness, Lt Col, CAP
Sq Bubba, Wing Dude, National Guy
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2017 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.
Eclipse
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 03:05:34 PM »

The young lady I spoke to also said that it "wasn't that bad, really" there in San Antonio.

Generally, or specifically in reference to the Hurricane?   ;D

"Effort" does not equal "results".
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2017 by eclipse. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN
VIP

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 03:07:51 PM »

In reference to the weather they were experiencing, but you know, I wasn't tremendously specific, so she might have just been speaking generically about the weather and was unaware of any localized weather phenomena.

The contents of this post are Copyright © 2017 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.
Mitchell 1969
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

Unit: PCR-CA-051

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 04:36:57 PM »

In reference to the weather they were experiencing, but you know, I wasn't tremendously specific, so she might have just been speaking generically about the weather and was unaware of any localized weather phenomena.

Or she could have been saying that an empty hotel brings no customer complaints.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.
etodd

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 10:50:14 PM »

So .... will they use the hotel as a base of operations and for sleep .... and have buses ready at 5am to take folks to disaster areas to help all day? Seems like that many folks coming to the area from all over the country could serve a better purpose, than hearing a few speakers and having the dress up dinner. Have a webinar later for the speeches and breakout sessions.

Just saying ....
MS - MO - AP - MP
SarDragon
Global Moderator

Unit: NAVAIRPAC

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 11:57:28 PM »

From another thread:

We only go when we are requested. WE DO NOT SELF DEPLOY. FEMA knows what we can do.
Disaster Relief is our job and it happens during the recovery effort.

When, and only when, we get asked to join in, CAP will participate. IMHO, it isn't time yet.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret
NIN
VIP

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 05:41:55 AM »

I see we have a number of Internet Incident Commanders ready to take charge.
Mordecai

Unit: SI

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 12:34:18 PM »

I really need to get my IIC rating. I can't wait to add "I'm a professional, I read about this on the internet" to my signature block!
jeders

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 12:57:30 PM »

From an article posted by the Wing PIO on cap.news

Quote from: Lt Col Johanna Augustine
...a temporary incident command post will be set up at the hotel

I can tell you that the initial phase of the response plan is already in action and TXWG members are gearing up for taskings.

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse
NIN
VIP

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 02:17:07 PM »

I really need to get my IIC rating. I can't wait to add "I'm a professional, I read about this on the internet" to my signature block!
Not Reddit,  cannot upvote :(
Майор Хаткевич
200,000th Post Author

Unit: GLR-IL-049

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 02:35:04 PM »

Not Reddit,  cannot upvote :(

:o  MFW, "The olds" are Redditors too.
NIN
VIP

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 03:26:58 PM »

[Edit: sorry, I washed my hands and suddenly couldn't Internet. Nor could I even. Fix0red now. -NIN]
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 03:30:32 PM by NIN » Logged
Майор Хаткевич
200,000th Post Author

Unit: GLR-IL-049

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 11:58:14 AM »

[Edit: sorry, I washed my hands and suddenly couldn't Internet. Nor could I even. Fix0red now. -NIN]

Of course I've seen you post on r/civilairpatrol, so not surprised. But still. :)
Pages: [1] Print 
CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Announcements  |  Topic: National Conference Is Still On