Service Ribbons on eServices

Started by DJ Light Chop, August 23, 2017, 03:04:52 AM

DJ Light Chop

I had read that service ribbons requested on eServices can be approved by a deputy commander.  Today we had 2 cadets put in for them after they met requirements (community service and recruiting ribbons).  But I was unable to find them in the approvals section.  Is there a special place to look for those, or did they just not set it up for deputy commanders to approve yet?

arajca

Was a CAPF 2A sent up the chain for approval? The ability to enter the service awards is for previously earned, not new awards. I don't see how a deputy commander would be the approving authority when the regs say commander (unit, group, wing) is the approving authority. No deputies or vices.

SarDragon

^^^^^

This.

Currently, eServices is just playing catch up. I have input most of the service things I can find the paper on (Red Service x10, encampment x3, and a couple of others). When I find the other paper, I'll get those entered, too.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

So I've seen encampment ribbons mentioned several times in this context, those should have already been
there from the F20's, and for anything historical, corrected via a memo to NHQ (had to do that for myself),
same with NCSAs.

When you put them in the new module, do they appear in the correct place on eServices (The encampments area),
or in the awards / decorations area?

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Quote from: Eclipse on August 23, 2017, 01:45:10 PM
So I've seen encampment ribbons mentioned several times in this context, those should have already been
there from the F20's, and for anything historical, corrected via a memo to NHQ (had to do that for myself),
same with NCSAs.

When you put them in the new module, do they appear in the correct place om eServices (The encampments area),
or in the awards / decorations area?

The 2 sections are not tied together in any way right now and not sure if they will every be either. 

Eclipse

Then I'd say encampment should be corrected in the right place vs. submitted to this new module,
because I'd be willing to bet this new module doesn't tie into Mitchell for promotion.

We have cadets every year who get their CAPID fat-fingered and don't get the credit they need,
this allows for a cadet to enter it and think they are done.

Ribbons already accommodated in eServices through other means should not be included in the
historical additions.

"That Others May Zoom"

MacGruff

When the announcement came out about this new functionality, I decided to try it out on myself to see how it works and so that I can describe it to the others in my squadron. Now, I'm an SM who has earned a couple of service ribbons during my "career" - as you can see in my signature picture.

The process for entering it was not too bad, but I did have to look up the appropriate dates. Luckily I am one who keeps careful records so I was able to get the dates I needed. After pressing the Submit button, the module told me that these actions went to the Squadron Commander for approval.

As he knew what was up, I did not expect a problem, but it took him about three weeks to find out where to approve these things. They are NOT in the places he would have expected, nor did he get any kind of notification for the approval.

I am going to file a ticket to request that issue be addressed and also to add a request that Personnel Officers be allowed to enter the data on behalf of the people in their squadrons. The Personnel Officers are the ones who would have the data, and be involved in the award, of each service ribbon.

This is a step forward, albeit a small one.

LATORRECA

So let get this right. I been reading all the threads of this post, and what I gathered is that I have to submit all my 2A forms to my new CoC in order to prove all the awards and ribbons I have earned.
  Wow! then like some one else mentioned, I most dig in to all my records to find them.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

jeders

Quote from: MacGruff on August 23, 2017, 03:10:56 PM
As he knew what was up, I did not expect a problem, but it took him about three weeks to find out where to approve these things. They are NOT in the places he would have expected, nor did he get any kind of notification for the approval.

If he's using the current eServices, then it will show on the front page as needing approval. If he's on the old eServices, then he needs to change to the new one.

I am going to file a ticket to request that issue be addressed and also to add a request that Personnel Officers be allowed to enter the data on behalf of the people in their squadrons. The Personnel Officers are the ones who would have the data, and be involved in the award, of each service ribbon.

My understanding is that this is all going to be a part of the module once all of the entries and approvals are done electronically like the form 120. This is just a first step to start getting some data put in to eServices without every award needing to go to wing for verification.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

kwe1009

Quote from: jeders on August 28, 2017, 08:22:44 PM

If he's using the current eServices, then it will show on the front page as needing approval. If he's on the old eServices, then he needs to change to the new one.

The approval module is very easy to find if you are using the old eServices.  It is the third item under the "Restricted" list on the right.  It is called "Approvals."  There is also a link to it in the old commander's approval module.  Just like with many of the items that require commander's approval in eServices, there is no notification sent to the commander telling them there is something awaiting action.  They have to go into eServices and either click on the "Approvals" link or "Commander's Corner" and then "Approvals/Validations."

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: kwe1009 on August 29, 2017, 01:32:09 PM
Quote from: jeders on August 28, 2017, 08:22:44 PM

The approval module is very easy to find if you are using the old eServices.  It is the third item under the "Restricted" list on the right.  It is called "Approvals."  There is also a link to it in the old commander's approval module.  Just like with many of the items that require commander's approval in eServices, there is no notification sent to the commander telling them there is something awaiting action.  They have to go into eServices and either click on the "Approvals" link or "Commander's Corner" and then "Approvals/Validations."

Or...switch to the "new" 5+ year old version, and see it right in the middle of the landing page when signing in.

Eclipse

Seriously - how is something 5+ years old still "beta"?

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on August 29, 2017, 03:56:20 PM

I'm more impressed by the fact that people are still on the OG system.

IIRC, I had the "new" version up and running while in college, and not active. I've been using it for as long as I remember since then. Yet I run into members regularly who have the "Wall'o'links" view of eservices. It ain't perfect, but the "new" one is miles ahead of the old one.

kwe1009

Quote from: Eclipse on August 29, 2017, 03:56:20 PM

Gmail was in beta for 5 years.  The beauty of leaving the "beta" tag on something is when someone complains that it isn't working you can say, "it is still in beta and not 100%" and move on.

BuckeyeDEJ

I was surprised to trip over this module in eServices (while looking to affirm taken ICS courses in my records), and I began inputting based on my member file (which sits on my desk). Thought I had everything (it's all the service and activity ribbons, not things like Achievement Awards and decorations higher). And my commander emailed me and asked how I found it. Apparently, this thing was sneaked into eServices, and even my region commander (who's wearing stars now!) didn't yet know. Just funny to me, that's all.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.