Senior Member Nutrition/Fitness Challenge

Started by Capt Thompson, August 18, 2017, 03:18:27 PM

Capt Thompson

Just curious if any Squadrons/Groups/Wings have developed a nutrition/fitness program, to encourage Seniors to live a healthier, more active lifestyle? What about a biggest loser type challenge at a Squadron/Group/Wing? If you have, I'd be interested to know what you are doing, or if you have a pdf of the program you could share.

Let me mention that I'm not trying to bring up the debate of whether Seniors should have PT requirements....just trying to think of some ways to create a voluntary program, maybe with some incentives or awards for different achievements similar to the President's Challenge. Browsing through older posts, it appeared that a few Wings were in the works of implementing such a program...just wondering if any ever did? 
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

LATORRECA

Let's start one.  I'm down, I need to run faster and get more fit.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

winterg

Do a search here for Presidential Fitness Challenge. It had a few members participating until the program moved to the FDA and they weren't supporting it.  But I was also accused here of "having an agenda" for suggesting the exact same thing. Whatever that means.  But good luck.

Edit: I think the Presidential Fitness Challenge moved to the USDA. Not under the FDA. 

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: winterg on August 18, 2017, 04:35:51 PM
Do a search here for Presidential Fitness Challenge. It had a few members participating until the program moved to the FDA and they weren't supporting it.  But I was also accused here of "having an agenda" for suggesting the exact same thing. Whatever that means.  But good luck.

Edit: I think the Presidential Fitness Challenge moved to the USDA. Not under the FDA. 

The "President's Challenge" is under the Department of Health and Human Services (which the FDA is also under; but they are separate). It used to be under the Department of Education but was expanded to all Americans, not just schoolchildren.

etodd

I have some pork butts and ribs smoking outside right now. I'll have to look into this dieting thing later. Someone pass me a beer.  >:D
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

LATORRECA

Have some moon pies and eclipse gum for today. Anyone care to join.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

winterg

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 18, 2017, 08:57:04 PM
Quote from: winterg on August 18, 2017, 04:35:51 PM
The "President's Challenge" is under the Department of Health and Human Services (which the FDA is also under; but they are separate). It used to be under the Department of Education but was expanded to all Americans, not just schoolchildren.

The President's Challenge tracking moved to the USDA Super Tracker.

https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/

At least that is where they directed participants to go to register to continue tracking their goals when it changed.  But it wasn't as easy to use as the old President's Challenge and didn't support automatic tracking using various fitness monitors.  I don't know if it does now.

etodd

Quote from: winterg on August 23, 2017, 12:05:36 AM

..... automatic tracking using various fitness monitors.

Wish I had gotten in on the ground floor of this new fad of so many electronic fitness monitors. Could retire by now, so many people are sinking so much $$$ into them. I know some who spend more time working on their spreadsheets of how many steps or reps ... than they actually exercise. LOL

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

DJ Light Chop

I feel that I can be much more useful to the CAP as a big fat slob.  While the cadets are PTing I will be sitting in a chair eating pork rinds and holding up a sign that says "Don't let this happen to you".  Now that's motivation.

SarDragon

I think that's a poor example to set. I'd rather go out and smoke half the cadets in the unit on the mile run, (at age 54). That's an example.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spam

Quote from: etodd on August 23, 2017, 12:27:09 AM

Wish I had gotten in on the ground floor of this new fad of so many electronic fitness monitors. Could retire by now, so many people are sinking so much $$$ into them. I know some who spend more time working on their spreadsheets of how many steps or reps ... than they actually exercise. LOL

I know guys who have gotten security infractions for wearing them into secure areas; so, for some of us using a fit bit just is NOT worth the added risk of losing a clearance. Personal electronic devices forbidden!

V/r
Spam

CAPLTC

Quote from: Spam on August 23, 2017, 06:05:39 AM
Quote from: etodd on August 23, 2017, 12:27:09 AM
I know guys who have gotten security infractions for wearing them into secure areas; so, for some of us using a fit bit just is NOT worth the added risk of losing a clearance. Personal electronic devices forbidden!
V/r
Spam

Like anything else, you just take it off before you walk into the SCIF.
Have never worked in a facility w/o a phone dump.
Dumping my phone is 2nd nature @ this point...
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis