Solar Eclipse Viewing Spot in TNWG?

Started by ♠SARKID♠, August 16, 2017, 06:05:27 AM

Майор Хаткевич

Eclipse

Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun...

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

♠SARKID♠

Townsend, TN.
Not a cloud in the sky!

I'm in love with Tennessee.  Will definitely bring the motorcycle next time and ride the Big Smokey Mountains!

sardak

Spam

Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2017, 06:57:41 PM
Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun...

But mama, that's where the fun is

Eclipse

So there's clearly a story, one I haven't gotten yet except for an amorphous "bad traffic", but my wife and
kids left the Carbondale area around 5pm yesterday, and didn't get home until 0730 this morning.

That's like 14 some hours for a 6-hour drive.  I made it there and back to MNWG in less time then that.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

Perhaps because it was a good excuse for skipping school? Extending the return trip could arguably get them out of school today as well?  Also, didn't y'all have a bit of weather?

Down here, the local schools pretty much shut down yesterday, except for my oldest sons mechanical engineering professor in coastal Georgia, a jerk who not only refused to let them step outside for a minute during totatlity, but also walked over and pulled the classroom blinds down.

R
Spam

stillamarine

Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2017, 06:24:54 PM

Marina Towers roof

Would love to be on that roof, regardless.  Also note gathering on far roof.

I don't see anyone on the "green roof" on top of city hall.

Some people got on the roof of our headquarters building. One detective told me it reminded him of the scene in Independence Day where all the people are greeting the aliens.....said he half expected to be vaporized.  8)
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Eclipse

Quote from: Spam on August 22, 2017, 02:04:40 PM
Perhaps because it was a good excuse for skipping school? Extending the return trip could arguably get them out of school today as well?  Also, didn't y'all have a bit of weather?

No school until Wednesday, wife was already planning to be off work.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: Spam on August 22, 2017, 02:04:40 PM
Down here, the local schools pretty much shut down yesterday, except for my oldest sons mechanical engineering professor in coastal Georgia, a jerk who not only refused to let them step outside for a minute during totatlity, but also walked over and pulled the classroom blinds down.

We planned to fly to an area of 100% totality, but could not.  My daughter's school told us that if she were not in school on the first day, she would be disenrolled and we would have to file all new paperwork with the district.  I tried to get that clarified from both the school and the district.  They refused to call me back until today.

Then, my boss, an immunologist and the Center director, was all pissed that people were taking a few minutes to leave the labs to view the sun (which was only about 70%).  The funny thing, he constantly tells us that we need to participate in STEM Outreach. 

A.Member

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

chuckmilam

I wasn't too terribly excited until I watched this video--and it happened exactly as simulated/explained here.  Amazing experience. 

EDIT:  Of course, the YouTube version of this video was taken down. 

Here's the source web page, but I found it won't play everywhere.  Worth a watch if you can see it. 

http://mashable.com/2017/08/16/solar-eclipse-mixed-reality-simulation-weather-channel/#L2VWgrsYUiqK

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: chuckmilam on August 22, 2017, 03:38:31 PM
I wasn't too terribly excited until I watched this video--and it happened exactly as simulated/explained here.  Amazing experience. 

I get it.  >:D

chuckmilam

Edited with an updated link, guess that YouTube version wasn't the legit source.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: A.Member on August 22, 2017, 03:17:50 PM
I don't understand any of the hype.

That's what I've heard just about everyone say that wasn't in totality. You quite simply had to be there because it was a sensory experience. If you weren't, you might as well have not even bothered to look up.
I haven't seen a single photograph that even remotely portrays the brilliance of the corona, the sharpness of the shadows, the quality of light, or thrill of the moment.

Eclipse

Where's Cartman's hippie patrol?

Smarter Every Day caught the transit of the ISS across the sun, and basically lost his mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lepQoU4oek4

Quote from: Eclipse on August 22, 2017, 01:53:55 PM
So there's clearly a story, one I haven't gotten yet except for an amorphous "bad traffic", but my wife and
kids left the Carbondale area around 5pm yesterday, and didn't get home until 0730 this morning.

That's like 14 some hours for a 6-hour drive.  I made it there and back to MNWG in less time then that.

So it turns out they actually left around 3:30, which makes the trip even worse / longer. 
The "story" as it turns out, was simply 1- and 2-lane highways most of the way up with slow and bumper-to-bumper
traffic.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on August 23, 2017, 01:39:07 PM

[redacted]
The "story" as it turns out, was simply 1- and 2-lane highways most of the way up with slow and bumper-to-bumper
traffic.

Oregon was the same way. We left on Thursday, and US-97 north was already getting congested. Traffic was moving smoothly, but there weren't many gaps. It's about 200 miles from the I-5/US-97 split to Bend, and 97 was pretty full. Glad we left when we did.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

♠SARKID♠

It was not a localized issue. What was supposed to be a 9.5 hour drive home took about 12.