Main Menu

NCSA Patch Approval

Started by Arc light, August 08, 2017, 03:01:45 PM

Arc light

I was wondering if you can wear any NCSA patch, as long as you graduate from it on your uniform? The reason I'm asking is I just graduated from the NH NCO Leadership School and received a patch from it, but when I went back to my home squadron they said I have to check with 39-1 on approved NCSA patches. I saw a lot of patches but I couldn't find anything specific about approved NCSA patches, just examples of them.

AlphaSigOU

If I remember correctly, 39-1 has a list of approved NCSAs that have official patches that can be worn on the uniform. Patches for local activities are authorized for wear only by the wing commander and only within the wing on certain uniforms. The NH NCOA is not a national special activity.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Arc light

I saw the patches on 39-1 but I think they were just examples of the main ones as there are many other NCSA's that were not mentioned, also the NH NCO academy is an NCSA http://www.ncsas.com I already received the ribbon for it I just want to know if I can wear the patch. Thanks

lordmonar

If it is an NCSA then you can wear the patch.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spam

If you saw the NCSA page, you must have missed the clear reference which specifies which activities are approved for the ribbon; the NCSA page links to the NHWG school, but it iis NOT an NCSA activity qualifying for the ribbon. What made you think that if it wasn't approved for the ribbon, your activity was approved for the patch, even when 39-1 is silent on it?

http://www.ncsas.com/?Category=&Location=&StartDate=&State=NH&Name=&EndDate=&MinimumAge=
https://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/activities/csa-ribbon-list/
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CSA_Approval_Letter_for_2017_NonFli_6433B245ADAB2.pdf

So, no, you aren't entitled to an NCSA ribbon for this activity (which is not listed this year), and your specific Wing would have to supplement R39-1 for you to wear the NH Wing NCOA patch, but you had a good experience, you learned a lot, and really - you didn't do it for the patch, did you?

Good job; keep pressing to earn your Mitchell and then apply for RCLS next summer, and press on to COS!

V/r
Spam

Eclipse

Nin - is this thing an NCSA or not?  It was for 2015 & 2016.

"That Others May Zoom"

Offutteer

Wow, what I ride.  I thought that this would be an easy one, but NER ensures that it's not the case. 

It appears that the New Hampshire Wing Non-Commissioned Officer School (NHWG  NCOLS) was held in Vermont (NCSAs.com).  And we have an NER NCO Leadership School in Vermort that is listed as an approved activity for the CSA Ribbon.  So, if the NH Wing activity was "The NER" NCO Leadership School (hosted by NW Wing), then the cadets that graduated from the course would wear the Cadet Special Activity Ribbon.  Yes boys and girls, it is the CSA Ribbon, not the NCSA Ribbon.

However, as the course is listed on the accredited Wing/Region Activities, 2017 Letter, it is not a National Cadet Special Activity, so the patch would not be authorized.  (Also, 39-1 is specific in which NCSAs have an authorized patch.  Not all patches created for NCSAs can be worn.)

So, the question for the NER Commander or NER DCP is, "Is the NH NCO Leadership School the same course as the NER NCO Leadership School?"  Since they were both to be held in same place, I'd wager that is the case.  But why have difference names for the same activity?!?!?!

Spam

I'd like to suggest that perhaps an "upon further review" of the after action reports (AARs) from the various and sundry schools and academies, National HQ/CP do an end of year review to amend the letter for that calendar year, just to make sure that these sort of things are cleaned up. I have no idea how this activity went, but really if folks spent that much time executing a good plan safely with tangible benefits to the cadets, why, then equal credit shouldn't be an issue. More/Better is what we're after, right, not Exclusive and Small.

On the patch... I really hope that we'd strongly consider cleaning that up as a one liner in 39-1, referencing something like "participant/graduates shall be entitled to wear one activity patch granted by any CSA so designated for that calendar year in writing by the National Commander". A systematic approach here might preclude the need to push 52 Wing staffs into having to cover nineteen activities or whatever, to recognize and promote achievement/participation.

Respectfully Submitted (R/s)
Spam

PS, Arc Light, stay tuned. You may get ribbon and patch approval yet. Also - that's a great nickname; I hope your friends are impressed and your enemies flattened by it!  :D

xray328

Quote from: lordmonar on August 08, 2017, 04:17:14 PM

Really? I thought only those in the 39-1 were approved for wear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHall

Quote from: xray328 on August 08, 2017, 10:58:49 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on August 08, 2017, 04:17:14 PM

Really? I thought only those in the 39-1 were approved for wear?

Go with what's in the 39-1. You will stay out of trouble that way.

Eclipse

39-1's verbiage indicates the list in not all inclusive and any Nationally Approved activities may issue a patch
for wear by participants.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on August 09, 2017, 12:21:38 AM
39-1's verbiage indicates the list in not all inclusive and any Nationally Approved activities may issue a patch
for wear by participants.
+1

That way we don't have to update 39-1 every year as they add new NCSAs.

Having said that....the web page is confusing the issue.   It uses the terminally of CSA "Cadet Special Activity" and not NCSA and it does list some things that may or may not be considered NCSAs.

Either way.....when in doubt.....ask your chain of command.   If your squadron commander reads the regs and thinks it is an NCSA then wear the ribbon and the patch.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Arc light

I think I will just leave my uniform blank, the expirence was great and no patch could ever equate to what I learned. Thanks for the input and shoutout to Spam for the compliment on my name.

PHall

Quote from: Arc light on August 12, 2017, 03:49:04 AM
I think I will just leave my uniform blank, the expirence was great and no patch could ever equate to what I learned. Thanks for the input and shoutout to Spam for the compliment on my name.

Nothing wrong with just wearing the REQUIRED insignia.  (Name Tape, Branch Tape, Grade Insignia, CAP Wings and Chaplain Insignia for those who earned them.)

Nick

Quote from: PHall on August 12, 2017, 11:59:06 PM
Nothing wrong with just wearing the REQUIRED insignia.  (Name Tape, Branch Tape, Grade Insignia, CAP Wings and Chaplain Insignia for those who earned them.)
+1

Keep it simple. It's less stuff to go wrong during an inspection (crooked, not centered, whatever), no question of "you can wear this today but not next month when the regs change", and it looks less like a colorful Boy Scout uniform (nothing wrong with them, BTW) and more like the Air Force uniform it emulates.

Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus