Main Menu

Gortex Parka?

Started by xray328, July 10, 2017, 10:57:09 PM

xray328

We picked up what we thought was a Gortex ABU jacket.  The label says "PARKA, ALL-PURPOSE, ENVIRONMENTAL, CAMOUFLAGE, BARRIER WEAR".  It's two layer, the outside material gets soaked but the water doesn't get through the inside layer.  I don't think this is the official Gortex ABU jacket. Is this "close enough" or is there a big difference in appearance?  I made sure to not get the plastic "rain jacket" but I didn't  realize there was yet another option out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abby.L

Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

xray328

Oh ok, good to hear. My BDU Gortex sheds water, I didn't expect this one to soak it up like it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jester

The APECS replaced the goretex when ABUs came out.

NIN

Quote from: Jester on July 11, 2017, 06:04:54 AM

and if you troll Ebay hard enough and are shrewd about your bidding, you can get one for $20.

:P
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Abby.L

Quote from: NIN on July 11, 2017, 09:07:17 PM
Quote from: Jester on July 11, 2017, 06:04:54 AM

and if you troll Ebay hard enough and are shrewd about your bidding, you can get one for $20.

:P
They had two styles for a while. There was one(That was issued at BMT up until some time last year) that was, I'm entirely convinced, just a trashbag with ABU print and an M-65 liner. Then there's the APECS, which they issue now, and would be about $160 brand new if I recall.

OR just grab an APECS off Ebay or from an airman's attic for cheap/free. That's what I did.  ::)

So there are two distinct kinds of parkas that can be seen.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

NIN

I have the APECS, the good one.  Pants too.  $42 total investment

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.