Not too good of a statistic

Started by deepblue1947, May 28, 2017, 02:25:17 AM

MSG Mac

Quote from: MacGruff on May 28, 2017, 06:33:46 PM
[quote/]
I think the wing conferences are required for Major.  Its all I need, and I've been a Captain since 1986.

Under the old regs, you needed Level 3 for Major and that Level was the one that required the conferences. Under the new reg you need Level 3 for Captain and Level 4 (!!) for Major.

If you are currently a Captain, you have until August of 2018 (?) to be grandfathered to Major with only a Level 3. If you miss that date, you need Level 4. With your length of service as a Captain, and if you WANT to make Major, you've got about 14 months left to finish the requirements.

Your decision.
[/quote]

And have been appointed to the grade of captain Prior to Aug 14, 2014
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Майор Хаткевич

N6RVT

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 05, 2017, 03:03:59 AM
If you are currently a Captain, you have until August of 2018 (?) to be grandfathered to Major with only a Level 3. If you miss that date, you need Level 4. With your length of service as a Captain, and if you WANT to make Major, you've got about 14 months left to finish the requirements

All I am missing is a wing conference.  And with the exception of the level 4 requirements you cannot sign off until after you have level 3 (a master rating which I have done) I am done with level 4 as well, so the time constraint doesn't bother me a lot.

Though considering a promotion means only that I have to buy uniform items and nothing else, I'm perfectly happy to be a captain with a Wilson award.

Devil Doc

I am currently A Technician in Emergency Services, after next weekend I will be a Senior Rating in Emergency services. However, I am a TO and the Logistics Specialty Track is harder IMO than the Emergency services track. I am not even tech rated in Logistics. However, I need level 4 to become a Major... and I will have my Level 3 by next year ( All i need it 2 Conferences) so it looks like Level 3 is my max.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

N6RVT

Quote from: Devil Doc on June 22, 2017, 01:51:37 PMand I will have my Level 3 by next year ( All i need it 2 Conferences) so it looks like Level 3 is my max.

Most of the people I know are hung up on Level 3 its because of the conference attendance requirement.  It held me up for literally DECADES and I won't finish level 3 until the conference later this year, though that should only be a few months away now.

In my case Level 4 is only inputting things I have already done.  However I will have already made Major and level 4 won't get me promoted again at that point, so I will also be stuck.

No LTC for me, probably ever, as I will never make it to National for the required school.

THRAWN

Quote from: N6RVT on June 23, 2017, 09:35:17 AM
Quote from: Devil Doc on June 22, 2017, 01:51:37 PMand I will have my Level 3 by next year ( All i need it 2 Conferences) so it looks like Level 3 is my max.

Most of the people I know are hung up on Level 3 its because of the conference attendance requirement.  It held me up for literally DECADES and I won't finish level 3 until the conference later this year, though that should only be a few months away now.

In my case Level 4 is only inputting things I have already done.  However I will have already made Major and level 4 won't get me promoted again at that point, so I will also be stuck.

No LTC for me, probably ever, as I will never make it to National for the required school.

Have you used any of your PME to get waivers? Will any of it count as NSC equivalent?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

N6RVT

Quote from: THRAWN on June 23, 2017, 11:45:18 AM
Quote from: N6RVT on June 23, 2017, 09:35:17 AM

Have you used any of your PME to get waivers? Will any of it count as NSC equivalent?

I will for Level 4, but I don't have anything good for Level 5, I didn't get that far.  And I have been around for more than long enough to have made LTC under the old system so I have no basis for complaint.  In fact, a guy I went to cadet emcampment with just got made a wing commander....

In fact, I am a strong supporter of the new system.  I always thought the levels should match up to military grades (Level 2 = O2, Level 4 =O4, etc).  At one point I was in a squadron where more than half the senior members were LTC and none of them had a Wilson.  Field Grades in CAP actually mean something now.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on June 23, 2017, 01:55:15 PM
Quote from: N6RVT on June 23, 2017, 01:42:57 PMField Grades in CAP actually mean something now.

Such as?

C'mon, for years CAP has been giving grades like it was candy. I, for one, am glad they're making it harder to get promoted. That said, I do think the current system still needs improvement, but this was a move in the right direction.

Promotions should be tied not just to PD and performance, but to responsibilities and expectations. Members should be promoted because they're ready to assume greater responsibilities with the organization.

Unfortunately, that's not always the case. We just need to look around to see many field grade officers who not only can't wear the uniform correctly, but can't even command, direct, or manage anything. Yet, they're Lt Cols and Majs. I think the intent with these and other changes was to minimize this issue.

Eclipse

I agree on what it should be, nothing in the new PD changes a single thing in regards to performance expectations or responsiblities.

What changed is the time between and it'll cost more to be a Lt Col (in addition to providing a new pinch point to block them without making a CC have to say "no".

"That Others May Zoom"

Alaric

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 23, 2017, 05:47:43 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 23, 2017, 01:55:15 PM
Quote from: N6RVT on June 23, 2017, 01:42:57 PMField Grades in CAP actually mean something now.

Such as?

C'mon, for years CAP has been giving grades like it was candy. I, for one, am glad they're making it harder to get promoted. That said, I do think the current system still needs improvement, but this was a move in the right direction.

Promotions should be tied not just to PD and performance, but to responsibilities and expectations. Members should be promoted because they're ready to assume greater responsibilities with the organization.

Unfortunately, that's not always the case. We just need to look around to see many field grade officers who not only can't wear the uniform correctly, but can't even command, direct, or manage anything. Yet, they're Lt Cols and Majs. I think the intent with these and other changes was to minimize this issue.

We still give out grade like candy.  I have yet to understand why we have grade as it is not really linked to anything.  I am doing nothing now as a Major that I couldn't have done as a Lieutenant.  The only reason I say Lieutenant is because I'm a squadron CC and that carries a promotion to 1 LT.  From the ES side I could be a SMWOG and it wouldn't change what I am doing

etodd

Quote from: Alaric on June 24, 2017, 05:44:38 AM
......  I have yet to understand why we have grade as it is not really linked to anything.

'Cause some folks are really into all the bling on their blues. Each to his own.

At our last meeting someone told me I should take the Yeager test. I asked why, and he said I get a nice certificate I could frame. I just smiled and nodded.  I have the book, and enjoyed reading it, but will most likely never bother taking the online test. Some folks need and enjoy those things. To each his own. Its all good.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

The AEPSM is a very nice indoctrination to AE history including CAP's part of it.

For years it has been done as an open-book test in groups.  It has value. You should take it, and set
the example not be the example (of a blow-hard pilot). If you "already know it" then it will not be
a challenge, and you can help others.

And as someone who generally advocates for getting rid of grade in CAP, saying CAP has it because people
"like bling" grossly mischaracterizes the situation and the evolution of it, and sounds incredibly condescending
coming from someone who hasn't been in CAP that along and admits to being clueless regarding
significant and important areas of the organization.

"That Others May Zoom"

darkmatter

As new senior former c/Lt Col I'm fortunate enough to automatically have tech in cp but I do with that the specialty tracks would be for atleast the knowledge part be done on line it's just demonstrating you know what going on because to find a senior who can give you the time needed to complete that knowledge portion is super hard and it's a  large part of PD

SarDragon

To Mr. Todd, the Yeager test is a requirement for Captain or Major these days,  just so you knowledge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

KASSRCrashResearch

Quote from: SarDragon on June 24, 2017, 11:44:56 PM
To Mr. Todd, the Yeager test is a requirement for Captain or Major these days,  just so you knowledge.

Isn't the [darn] thing open book? I seem to recall being told that.  If it is and someone is avoiding it then I don't know what to tell them. 

It is just one of those things to knock out right away so it is done and you never have to think about AE again if you're lucky.  My squadron is forcing me into the assistant aerospace education officer role.  That is despite my repeated pointing out that I do not want to do it...AE is just above reading the regulations on my list of things that excite me about CAP. That test is one of my albatrosses at the moment as I wait on some paperwork to clear NHQ so I can proceed.
I have complete faith in the continued absurdity of what ever is going on.

SarDragon

Yes, open book. I took the paper version, closed book, many moons ago. My Mitchell award knowledge, from 35 years back, allowed me to pass with no problems.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

KASSRCrashResearch

Quote from: SarDragon on June 25, 2017, 01:47:34 AM
Yes, open book. I took the paper version, closed book, many moons ago. My Mitchell award knowledge, from 35 years back, allowed me to pass with no problems.

I remember looking at the book for about two minutes and going "Seriously? They give an award for knowing this?".  It wasn't anything I found to be something that anyone with a reasonable degree of intelligence should worry about.

GaryVC

Quite a few people who join CAP have little or no aviation knowledge.  We have three new senior members. Two have never been in the military and one was a finance NCO in the AF. They all joined because of grandchildren and none of them know much about aerospace. This test which is easy for someone with that background, helps bring everyone up to at least a basic standard.

KASSRCrashResearch

Quote from: GaryVC on June 25, 2017, 04:14:51 PM
Quite a few people who join CAP have little or no aviation knowledge.  We have three new senior members. Two have never been in the military and one was a finance NCO in the AF. They all joined because of grandchildren and none of them know much about aerospace. This test which is easy for someone with that background, helps bring everyone up to at least a basic standard.

Meh. I showed it to my wife who has no aerospace background whatsoever and she goes "Why are they testing people on elementary school level history stuff?". It's kind of comical quite honestly because it's all basic common sense stuff that any reasonably intelligent person over the age of 10 or 12 should be able to reason through.