Every CTWG cadet to receive a CAP Achievement award...

Started by Ozzy, April 15, 2017, 04:22:58 AM

Ozzy

Well, I saw on my news feed that the CT Wing Commander is awarding a CAP Achievement Award to every cadet in the wing as of 20 May 2017. Seeing as this is way after April fool's day, I don't think it's a joke...

https://m.facebook.com/CTWGCAP/photos/a.378154068916843.89104.377047355694181/1389489067783333
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Майор Хаткевич

Well that just took my #1 slot for most frivolous Achievement Award giveaway.

ThatOneGuy

Uhhhhhhh, why exactly? This is a bit strange I must admit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Spam

Interesting web site. Apparently CTWG has also waived the requirement for Curry cadets to wear a correct uniform and claims that local commanders can waive the PT test for their first stripe (Curry Achievement).

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1358321637566743&id=377047355694181&set=a.378154068916843.89104.377047355694181&refid=13

- Spam

xray328

Seems like the every kid gets a trophy mentality.  "The achievement award? So what, everyone's got that"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwb

That's interesting. I thought Lake Wobegon was in Minnesota.

Ozzy

Quote from: Spam on April 15, 2017, 09:32:38 AM

Interesting web site. Apparently CTWG has also waived the requirement for Curry cadets to wear a correct uniform and claims that local commanders can waive the PT test for their first stripe (Curry Achievement).

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1358321637566743&id=377047355694181&set=a.378154068916843.89104.377047355694181&refid=13

- Spam

Well that is aligned with the PT Beta program using guidelines from the draft 52-18.. PT test during Phase 1 is an assessment and while it's required to take it, it isn't to pass. From phase 2 on though you must pass.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

kwe1009

Achievement Award for everyone just for breathing just cheapens all CAP awards.  Not a very smart move.

jb512

Quote from: kwe1009 on April 15, 2017, 02:49:05 PM
Achievement Award for everyone just for breathing just cheapens all CAP awards.  Not a very smart move.

Right, and isn't that intended to be an individual award? I would think that a Unit Citation would be more appropriate...

FW

Quote from: jb512 on April 15, 2017, 02:56:19 PM

Right, and isn't that intended to be an individual award? I would think that a Unit Citation would be more appropriate...

That "all cadets" are doing a good job while saying we can't get cadets to pass their Curry seems counter-intuitive, however the outgoing wing commander is within his right to award them.  Let's just say, the Achievement Award given to me last year was a nice gesture.  I didn't purchase the ribbon... ::)

PHall

Uhh, does 75th Anniversary of the Cadet Program ring any bells? ???

kwe1009

Quote from: jb512 on April 15, 2017, 02:56:19 PM

Sort of.  An Achievement Award can be given to a group of people who were working on something together (WAA is a good example).  The Unit Citation would have to be approved by Region so that is out of the Wing CC's hands.  Also, what does this say to the Senior Members in that Wing?  "the cadets are doing a good job even though we have a lot that can't /won't get the Curry.  All of you Senior Members don't rate anything."

PA Guy

CAPDCCMOM

We are officially an "everybody gets a trophy" organization now. The Cadets that believed in the Core Values will lose morale and leave.  Then we are left with the snowflakes. I sure hope they can find buyers for all these Cessnas in a few years.

Prepare the dirge and for whom the bells toll.

EMT-83

Very typical of the nonsense coming out of Middletown. Confirms my decision to let my membership expire.

Spam

My personal opinion is that it is a sincere effort but a mistake to dumb down the Curry requirement set as well. We should waiver neither the requirement for a uniform (any uniform... I'd even go so far as to accept a PT uniform) nor the requirement for a valid PT test score (and I'd frame that as a "healthy fitness zone" score).

The argument put forth on the CTWG website that this mirrors BMT is spurious, in my regard. BMT trainees may enter military service without a valid uniform, but they certainly don't graduate and aren't promoted. Neither do they begin service without meeting service fitness standards, although they later may be enrolled in a remedial program.

V/r
Spam

LATORRECA

Call CTWG and asked the Wing CC about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thonawit

This flies in the face of the Core Value of Excellence. CAP Awards are earned through the pursuit of Excellence, Integrity, Respect and Volunteer Service, not because you are a member before a certain date.

This tells me that the CTWG Cdr. does not care about CAP Core Values;
Excellence – I'm too lazy to figure out what Cadets are truly deserving... Screw it all Cadets get an award.
Integrity – The Cadet who continuously shows up out of uniform, has not promoted in over a year, etc. They get an award, well at least they are a number on the roster.
Respect – The Cadet who takes CAP very seriously and is pushing themselves to do their best, they get an award, so did the lazy cadet who just shows up.
Volunteer Service – I don't show up very often and I really don't want to help out. Woot I got an Award!

The CTWG Cdr. has managed to reduce the CAP Cadet Program to (as CAPDCMOM says) an "Everybody Gets a Trophy" program and shows that the CTWG Cadet Program is about numbers of members rather than producing "responsible citizens and tomorrows aerospace leaders".

This is multiple nails (one for each Cadet in the CTWG) in the Coffin that is Civil Air Patrol as we know it.
Regularly contradicts, contradicted CAP Regulations...

Okayish Aviator

One of the cadets in my squadron was awarded the Achievement Award last year late after Hurricane Matthew.

She went to the Emergency Operations Center for our county and worked the phones until 4am the following day of passage of the hurricane. She did this outside of CAP, but responded to a call for assistance that was sent to our squadron.

So what that wing commander is saying is that every single cadet, some who can't even pass a Curry, are now being given that award?
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.