NCO RAnk on Grey Epaulets

Started by audiododd, April 14, 2017, 11:09:11 PM

audiododd

My Enlisted "promotion" finally made it all the way to eServices, so I'm starting to get uniforms set up. . My question is about the grey epaulets for things like the blue sweater or All-weather coat. 39-1 only says...

"Officer and NCO Rank Insignia. Officers and NCOs will wear embroidered rank insignia on gray epaulet sleeve. Alternatively, NCOs may wear metal pin on rank insignia on gray epaulet sleeve."

I don't see anything about where to place the insignia on the epaulet.  If I missed it, let me know.  Otherwise, where do we mount the Insignia - just make it look right?  Considering there are diagrams for the exact placement of rank on jackets, etc. te next update to 39-1 should specify this. How do I go about recommending a change/update to the reg?

Thanks!
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

SARDOC

Take a SWAG at it.  You'll be okay.

audiododd

Quote from: SARDOC on April 14, 2017, 11:22:58 PM
Take a SWAG at it.  You'll be okay.

Ha!  Haven't heard SWAG used in that context in a long time.  Probably back in my young Airman days.
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO

SarDragon

If I were doing this, I would match the distance of the officer's insignia. 5/8" from the outer end seems to be pretty standard.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

What's the positioning on the USAF epaulets? I would copy that.

SarDragon

5/8" from the outer end, as measured on an AD AF set of Captain's rank sleeves.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on April 15, 2017, 07:53:53 PM
5/8" from the outer end, as measured on an AD AF set of Captain's rank sleeves.

How about the NCO Epaulets Dave? We are talking about NCO Epaulets, right?

SarDragon

Well, based on everything else with a defined or measurable dimension,  5/8" seems proper. Do you have any AD AF NCO items to measure?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

grunt82abn

Quote from: audiododd on April 14, 2017, 11:09:11 PM
My Enlisted "promotion" finally made it all the way to eServices, so I'm starting to get uniforms set up. . My question is about the grey epaulets for things like the blue sweater or All-weather coat. 39-1 only says...

"Officer and NCO Rank Insignia. Officers and NCOs will wear embroidered rank insignia on gray epaulet sleeve. Alternatively, NCOs may wear metal pin on rank insignia on gray epaulet sleeve."

I don't see anything about where to place the insignia on the epaulet.  If I missed it, let me know.  Otherwise, where do we mount the Insignia - just make it look right?  Considering there are diagrams for the exact placement of rank on jackets, etc. te next update to 39-1 should specify this. How do I go about recommending a change/update to the reg?

Thanks!

So where do we get embroidered rank on gray epaulets from? I see nothing on Vanguard for NCO embroidered epaulets.  ???
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on April 16, 2017, 05:52:19 AM
Well, based on everything else with a defined or measurable dimension,  5/8" seems proper. Do you have any AD AF NCO items to measure?

Yes I do, it's 1/2 inch from the bottom of the insignia to the edge.

Eclipse

Ignore, misunderstood the OP.

"That Others May Zoom"

audiododd

Thanks folks!  I suppose I could have gone to MCSS and measured an AD shoulder mark.  There's so few items we can wear them on anymore, I think the sweaters may be the only AD item left that enlisted can wear shoulder marks on (and that's only for SNCOs).
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO

PHall

Quote from: audiododd on April 16, 2017, 07:13:50 PM
Thanks folks!  I suppose I could have gone to MCSS and measured an AD shoulder mark.  There's so few items we can wear them on anymore, I think the sweaters may be the only AD item left that enlisted can wear shoulder marks on (and that's only for SNCOs).

Yep, the Chiefs Mafia got their way about 10 years ago and took away the shoulder marks. You can only wear them on the sweater and then only because they couldn't figure out away to sew stripes on them. >:(

Nick

The Air Force could have saved the time and effort and completely done away with the SNCO shoulder marks, leaving the only option as pinning the metal rank straight onto the epaulet. But no, let's have options!

The reason for the 1/2" on the shoulder mark vs. 5/8" for pinned insignia is because the shoulder mark itself creates the 1/8" offset from the seam of the epaulet, so the idea is the insignia is always in the same relative space (until the shoulder mark sleeve slides up on you).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus